Hard seat Ranch Roping Saddles???

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Peggy Sue, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Does anybody have one?? What are the likes or dislikes ?? I know they are HEAVY.We are saddle shoping AGAIN..
    Is there anything different when shopping for one of theses then "other" saddles?? I won't be looking at no name or cheapie brands prob the "cheapest" brand we will look at is the Dakota...

2. Shell

Shell New Member

I like a little cush for my tush, and don't like to slide.

3. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

LMAO that was my thought until I rode it one they are actually pretty comfy... but riding in one once for 20 minutes and riding in one full time is different ... T has rode in one twice for about hour both times and says this is what he wants so I am just wondering other peoples experiences with them

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

This is exactly what I have (color and seat):

http://store.americansaddlery.com/product.php?xProd=31&xSec=6

But with this horn and pommel!!!

http://store.americansaddlery.com/product.php?xProd=29&xSec=6

I actually like it. It is not heavy by "old time" standards. But because it is real leather, it is heavier than the synthetic ones. I have no problem carrying it around and lifting it onto my horse.

The seat does not bother me either. But I did get a seat cushion, because there are days when I was in it for 6-7 hrs at a time - you NOTICE your butt bones after a ride like that............ :eek: ;D

I love the high back and the high pommel, if you know how to use your legs, you will not fall out of the saddle all that easy............ask me - My horse has tried, with his lovely 180 spin that he LOVES to do............ :eek: :- :p

I got mine brand new and I am still breaking it in.................

Damn  's :mad: :slapfight:

5. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Tbitt do those leathers bother your leg at all?? can you take a pic of the bar angles of your saddle?? I found a used American Saddlery one but I haven't used one or even seen one so I am wondering how "wide" their full QH bars really are ???

6. Tbitt

What do you mean "do those leathers bother your leg at all??".

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.........

I bought a semi QH to use with my narrower horses.....it fits my TW and my palimino mare.
    She is quite fat right now - but has a narrower body then a normal QH.....I don't think she is pure QH........

For you to know what kind it is - I'd measure it to be sure. It is most important to get that right!

7. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

with the stirrups on the outside instead of under the fender??

8. desederada

desederada New Member

Does she mean the fenders because I was wondering how the heavy leather strip on the fender would affect your shin. BTW I love that saddle.

9. Tbitt

10. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

LOL that explains why you were confused

Des a western saddle has leather they are just behind the fender but on the first saddle she posted they weren't and my son has aproblem with anything that rubs or clings to him that is why we are looking at the slick hard seat saddles ::)

11. Tbitt

I'm easily confused lately..........LOL

I actually like the saddle, I think it is really comfy..........strange as that sounds. The hard seat does not bother me..............except, like I sad, after long long rides!

Have him give it a good go round.......for a good 30-40 min.......Have him check to make sure that there is no problem with where the seat leather ends and the fenders begin. I have found on some saddles you can actually feel it. If he doesn't like things rubbing or uneven, have him really check that out!

12. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I think I will haul Moosa to your house and try yours LOL

13. Tbitt

I'm about an hour south of Rockford...............how far do you want to go? :D

14. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

LMAO if it saves me $$$$ it would be worth it ... IOW if he changed his mind it would so be worth it and save me the headache I have right now as well....

it seems to me what I am finding the wade(A-Forks) are a bit wider then a swell fork... great I know what size swell fork I need , this child is gonna drive me crazier yet ... he knows I won't buy anything without researching it to death...

I guess I need to call Pete and see what brand and such his is

15. paige

paige New Member

My husband rides a hard seat roper, A Hereford I think. It is heavy but he loves it.

16. desederada

desederada New Member

I've ridden in plenty a western saddle I wasn't confused I just thought Tbitt was confused by your explanation. I like the slick/hard seat but wouldn't want to do alot of hours in one.

17. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I have confused myself today ...

can anybody explain the difference in the way a wade tree fits the horse?? They seem to be wider which IMO is a good thing but do they actually "sit" wider??