Hay Storage

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Refuge Ranch, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Refuge Ranch

Refuge Ranch New Member

Okay . . . since the collapse of our hay loft, we have been exploring our options for hay storage. Obviously, a hay shed would be woderful, but we just don't have the money immediately. We are going to have to save for a while. In the mean time, what are our options?

We have tossed around the idea of putting up a ClearSpan building. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do they hold up to wind and other weather?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

2. lori

lori New Member

Semi van trailers are cheap, movable, and resellable. Not so classy... but they work!

3. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

Storage containers off of trains are also pretty cheap.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

If you have somewhere to get wood pallets-----

Stack 2 on top of each other and line them up along a building or fenceline,
    buy as many big tarps as necessary to wrap up the bales. We lay the tarp on top of the pallets with sufficient material to bring up and over the hay. The pallets should be in the middle of the tarps so both sides come up. (same as wrapping up a box)

----- Stack the bales tight

Bring the tarps over the top from both sides and bunge down

Sounds tacky but it is cheap and it works. The hay is dry, secure and you have easy access.

The coverall buildings are fantastic----There are quite a few of them in my area and believe me they withstand the winds around here. We have enough, consistent wind for several large wind farms.

5. mrponies

mrponies New Member

I would be very careful stacking bales tightly if they don't have good ventilation.

I lost a bunch of my hay this year (to mold) because I wasn't storing it with enough "breathing" room. :(

6. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

If its dry you shouldn't have to worry and I used to go into my pile daily to feed so it got plenty of ventilation. Takes some time to close it back up but easy way to store. On dry sunny days I would leave it open until after evening chores.

I'm going to be doing this again, I just found some more 1200 rounds super cheap. They will be out next to the corncrib wrapped up tight until needed.

7. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I have a CoverAll and LOVE it.

Installed by Freidman Dist. Now called:

Midwest Cover-All
    606 - 3rd Street
    Belle Plaine, IA 52208

Yes it does withstand heavy, heavy winds. I am shocked at what it has stayed up under.....we have has 3-4 HUGE STRONG (70m+ winds) come through our place in the years we've had it up and it has not bothered ours at all!!! The wind just blows right over the dome.......

Word of caution - if you are going with this type of building, have it professionally installed. You want this to last!

These buildings let in a LOT of light, not dark like a metal building, so your hay will get discolored fast! From what I hear it doesn't affeect the quality - because it isn't direct sunlight. But the hay does kinda bleach.

http://www.coverall.net/EN/Customers/Equine/Hay_and_Feed_Storage/

I wonder if you can get it all one, dark color.....Instead of the white??

8. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Tbitt, what do you use yours for: hay storage, arena, or stalls?

As far as the bleaching/fading, I would think that'd be cosmetic only.

I've actually thought about doing this because 1-I now store my hay in the stall barn (fire hazard), and 2-would like for the hay farmer to be able to stack directly from the field (so we don't have to!). It seems to me that the fabric type buildings would have some wasted floor area with their curved shape?
    Do you have to close in the end, and put in a standard size door?

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Tbitt, why don't you post a pic of that honkin ass thing :)

10. Tbitt

We have an (under used) arena in the north end.

The south end has a stall area (we actually have 4 built - one houses hubby's CRAP) an area for a bathroom (yet to be build - Water and septic run though :) and a area for hay storage - in that area hubby gets a tiny tiny area for his tools/mower/work area..............

My good pics are at home, this is what I have on Photobucket.

I can get better pics if you want!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Tbitt

I also HATE having the hay in this barn!!! I'd love to have thought a bit better about this and jsut put up 2 SMALLER buildings! Hind sight........

They have several styles. Ours has a 8" "wall"

As shown above, we have a slidder door - hung on the inside. and the other end - facing the house has a service door and a roll up garage door! *!*!*!*

12. Refuge Ranch

Refuge Ranch New Member

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! Particularly about the covered buildings. Tbitt, that is a good looking arena! If we put something up it will be a fraction of that size! I appreciate your insights.

Chris

13. Stateline

Stateline New Member

What did it cost installed?

14. Tbitt

These buildings are a fraction of the cost of steel buildings.

This building, the excavating (had to build up 6' on the north end), the electricity and water ran to the barn (installing a new ele service box in the house, and barn), lights installed, wood for stalls, wood for around the arena, Gravel for the driveway, Septic system installed........all together, cost less then the shell of a metal building and that building would have been smaller than this one is!!

15. lori

lori New Member

Can we have pictures of the stall area, Tbitt?

We have one here locally, and ok, I would totally *take* it, but it was not put up correctly (by the local Coverall), which is kind of a bummer. Makes me wary about using the local people. But I don't think they can be beat for pretty. Or price.

16. Tbitt

I wasn't going to say this.....but it has been broached -

Rumor:

The "local" dealer that you speak of, I've heard was not very good at all with installing these buildings.......... :'(

I know several people who used the same installers that I did. One guy down the road from us, and a place by Sycamore.

If you go to any of the big horse shows, they are always there with a display (they used to be called Friedman Dist. Inc, they are now Midwest Cover-All)

I'll get pics! Now remember, WE made and installed the stalls ourselves........... :p

17. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

this is what I use. Its a 26 foot I believe and I get about 225 bales stacked in there when full.