Heavens to Betsy it is cold!!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Jan 14, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

5 degrees this morning and the wind is out of the east.

I wish the previous owners would have insulated the kitchen of this house when they went to the work of remodling!!

I have both kerosene heaters fired up this morning so the furnace doesnt run non stop and go empty ;)

I am so glad I do not have to leave the house for an outside job.

How are the rest of you doing?

2. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

Freezing and the roads are terrible.

3. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Cold here too! Snowing like a MO FO :th_afrique: The snow is blowing in from the North here, horses are stalled because I have no shelter out in the pasture they have to come in and out of the barnfor that. BUT...... with the wind blowing from the north it blows inside the barn, sooooooo they will be stalled till at least the snow stops.

4. BUC

BUC Administrator

We FINALLY got snow! WOO HOO! Only 3-4" but it still made it pretty out!

Our house is insulated well but they put in shit windows 4 years ago....we bought it 2 1/2 years ago. Were trying to find out who put them in because they keep getting worse, so yes, our house is drafty as all get out! But I've got on my warm PJ's, socks, slippers and a robe and I'm toasty (and comfy!!!).

My plans for tomorrow are as follows: WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT leave the house :)

When I go back out to feed here in a bit I'm going to throw about 5 bales in the round feeder, get the dog crate out of the barn so the poochie can stay in for a few days and completely hibernate tomorrow!

I said something to this effect once before in a far off land and some people freaked because I wasn't going out to check on the horses, I said I'd check them out through the window.....so I just wanted to clarify if you knew my set up you'd know I can almost hand treat them out the window :p So it's not like they will be completely ignored.... ;)

5. desederada

desederada New Member

I knew this thread was started by Snaffle when I saw the title. :D It's cold here too. We are suppose to be in the 20's at night for the next week.

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Awww De, I feel so so sorry for you!

[size=20pt]NOT[/size] :th_lol_hitting:

7. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I'll be sticking pins in my voodoo doll of you when it hits -18. Let us know how you're feeling tomorrow. >:D

8. lori

lori New Member

So our big lunch plans... hmmm... hmm..???

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Well crap....foiled my lazy day plans....I WILL, I repeat, I WILL be attending lunch :th_lol_hitting:

10. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

looks like -35 w/windchill here tonight or maybe it was tomorrow night. BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

11. desederada

desederada New Member

You guys are sooooooo mean :'( :slapfight:

12. Buffy

Buffy New Member

My horse is in. Heading out to feed him his warm mash this afternoon. That will be my ONLY excursion out in this weather until the weekend.

13. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

This bites! I mean "frost bites"..... Next week should be in the 20s which is more what it's supposed to be.

My skin gets drier and drier, need more and more lotion...

10 more weeks until spring!

14. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Cold, its not cold its down right deadly! Any exposure for extended amount of time can kill a person---- This sucks and as I said before I used to love winter

My horses are in, blanketed and had a nice warm breakfast with lots of grass hay to munch on. I'm not leaving my LR fireplace for anything except to go back out and feed dinner. Thats it for me----cabin fever has hit already-----was supposed to go shopping with my mom today, yeah right. My dog won't even stay out for more then long enough to pee--- usually he lays on a snow drift and naps. (thats him in my avatar-Sumo)

Since hubby has been home on workmans comp he has been fixing every cold air leak he can find----as of right now no air coming in and no heat going out. My furnace is actually working properly and shutting off----- fingers are crossed the propane tank does not empty until spring.

Everyone take care, hopefully by next week we will be able to go outside once again.

15. Cadence

Cadence New Member

Hmmm my thermometer says 10, so I put my horses out, at the risk of hem being in forthe next 2 days. They could handle 2 not 3!!! The sun is out now. It just didn't seem that cold to me when I put them out....I must be getting used to it! EGADS!!! Maybe I will break out the swimsuit this weekend!

16. mrlugar

mrlugar New Member

Our barn was 53 degrees when I left there about a half hour ago. Our farrier was practically stripping in front of me he was so overdressed! Having a heated barn is DA BOMB!

17. jjones

jjones New Member

It didn't seem that cold today at all but then again I had 3 layers on and am used to working in the biter cold now... I left all my horses in today at the risk of the temp dropping severly and I have 2 VERY pregnant mares who appreciate not fighting the cold...

18. snaffle

snaffle Guest

wow des...isn't being in the 20's extremely...

UN-Florida?

whazzup with that?

19. desederada

desederada New Member

When you guys get bitter cold some of it travels down here ::) The good part is that when it warms up during the day it's still warm enough to work outside in just a long sleeve shirt.

20. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

I just got home from the barn and it is really, really cold and the roads suck. Tomorrow - I'm staying in. Maybe I'll even clean the house. :eek: