Help! I Need advice

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by Michele, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Michele

Michele New Member

We found Holly on Christmas eve 2008. No one ever claimed her. She is about 45 pounds and a German Shapard mix. Holly is the kindest, sweetest dog you would ever want to meet 99.9% of the time. She loves kids, other animals and just loves puppies. She will sit, give paw and roll over and stay.

We have always had multple dogs since we have had Holly.

We used to have a Cairn Terrier (Piggy) that weighed about 25 pounds. Piggy and Holly would get into horrible fights every few years, always when Holly was coming out or season. Piggy usually got bitten up but he still fought back. We always thought it was Piggy trying to be dominant when clearly Holly is the alpha.

Piggy passed away a couple of summers ago, we thought that would be the end of the fighting.

My stupid hubby threw a piece of meat by the dogs and the little 10 pound poodle mix tried snatching it, next thing I know Holly has Snowflake in her mouth shaking her by the neck. We didn't have any water on hand so it took me and my husband hitting and yelling at Holly to finally let go of Snowlflake. We took her to the vet and Holy had just missed her artery in her neck. This was about a year and a 1/2 ago.

That brings us to this past week.We currently have 4 dogs. Holly, Snowflake, Airrie (Wheaton Terrier) and Tiffany a rescued large Yorkshire Terrier. Tiffany is 4 years old and we just got her in September. Tiffany isn't very submissive and I was worried Holly and flip out on her, but this time as far as I know Holly isn't even in season. Tiffany was sleeping, Holly just trotted over to her and attacked her. My poor daughter was home alone, and she thought Holly was going to kill Tiffany. She was punching and kicking Holly but she wouldn't let go. Finally she lost grip of Tiffany and Tiffany went running away.

I am so sorry this is so long but I just don't know what to do with Holly. Put her to sleep? God I would hate to do that. Have her spayed? She is pretty old. I was wondering if filing her eye teeth may help? Please if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

2. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

I would consult an experienced dog behaviorist and have her spayed ASAP! You are your dogs' leader. Holly is behaving like she is in charge. Until YOU become the leader your other dogs will be in danger

3. Michele

Michele New Member

Thanks Sarah, do you know of any dog behaviorists? I agree with you on her being dominant when she attacks, however most of the time she appears submissive to me. I could be missing something, I am no expert. I talked to the vet last time about spaying her and he said there is more of a risk at her advanced age. After this new unprovoked attack I will be getting her spade regardless of her age. Again if you have any names for trainers, behviorists please let me know.

4. Shell

Shell New Member

Personally, I have her put to sleep. It's happened more than once. Your trust in her is questionable. She's unpredictable. It could be neurological, which spaying isn't going to help correct. And if somethings wrong upstairs a dog behaviorist isn't going to be able to help her either.

5. lori

lori New Member

How old is old? Is it just directed towards this one dog? Was Tiffany *near* anything? Like an empty food bowl, a favorite spot, a person, etc.?

6. Michele

Michele New Member

First of all, thank you to everyone that is responding. She is at least 12 years old. We found her so we don't know exactly how old she is. She has done displayed this aggressive behavior sparadically throughout her life with us. It is however at least a year in between episodes and sometimes a few years in between. When no one is home Holly stays seperated from the other 3 dogs. I think she was in fights 3 times with Piggy (the Cairn Terrier) and then 1 to 11/2 years ago she attacked Snowflake because she went after her food, and now Tiffany. One time she pinned Airrie but Airrie is extremley submissive and she let her up immediately She is fine with other dogs in our neighborhood and hasn't been aggressive with the 40 dogs we had in September trying to find homes for them.

7. Michele

Michele New Member

Lori, I will ask my daughter if she was near anything. I wasn't home at the time. Shell yes my trust in her is shaken. If she were always aggressive she would be gone already. The hard part is that this behavior is so sparadic.

8. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

Michelle, I don't know where you live, but the rescue I foster for uses this person.

http://www.dogs4life.com/Dogs_4_Life.html

Maybe she can refer you to someone in your area, or give you a phone consultation.

9. Michele

Michele New Member

Sarah, Thank you so much I will call them.