Help needed rt 47 and Jerico road NOW

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by horsefreak, Jan 6, 2009.

1. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I think there is a local equine rescue group that could come out and give the class, they have that lift thing too. tbitt was this the clas you took?
    http://trod.us/ert.htm

2. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

I am totally in for the class as well! I have been nagging at work to hold a trailering/first aid/emergency class. I'm sure most of my coworkers would attend as well!

3. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

4. Buffy

Buffy New Member

HOOK it up!!!

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I'm very interested!

6. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Yes Horsefreak it is.

The classes that TROD puts on are for Rescue personnel. The "public" is not invited. :'(

The way "we" get to be involved is by volunteering and helping. Volunteers are horse people who help the non horse people (The rescue personnel) learn how to handle horses. The volunteers are deep within the thick of all the training! ;) ;) You have to be strong and confidant!

Marni aka "the Red head" has offered her place before for this (she has the insurance that will cover this type of event at her place). But to do this you need to have a certain amount of rescue personnel interested.

I think, with yesterday's events, there will be NO problem gathering the required interest. ;)

I did speak with Marni last night. She did say that the horse was rather trusting, she was able to easily keep him calm until the Vet arrived. He was a bit trapped by the center divider, and needed someone CLOSE by to keep calm. :'( :'(

AppyGSP, from what Marni said (exactly what Sierra said) the people driving the truck were experienced horse people but quite shaken up after just being in an accident. Marni stepped right up they allowed her to do so. I think, by them doing so, the did not have to "keep it together" so they let worry take hold more so then they would have if they were in this alone!!!! They did everything they needed to, but just left someone else be in charge.

btw - from what Marni said. It was not a pretty sight, trying to DRAG the horse out of the turned over trailer, plus when he tried to get up he was way too groggy to do so, safely, so they had to hold him down - not pretty at times.

7. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

8. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Count me in for sure if theres a class!

Im glad everything worked out ok for those people and the horse!

9. Tbitt

10. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

11. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I know several firefighters in Plano that may be interested in something like this. Especially with as many times as they've seen horses downtown 8)
    I could let it be known that I and a few others would be willing to volunteer to help assist with the horses.
    Just an idea.

12. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

WOW! Great picture! Makes it more scary to see! Poor guy....(the horse)

13. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

Anna - Correct, a sheet bend is the initial knot.

However, you throw half hitches up the entire length of the tail to disperse pressure. :)

14. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Forgot that part..thanks!

15. Sarah315

Sarah315 Active Member

Tbitt, Mark is a police officer and would love to attend a class like this. There have been several times when they've had to "apprehend" livestock of one kind or another, and this would be so helpful. So, if he signs up, how can I sneak in too?

16. Michele

Michele New Member

My husband is a firefighter too. He is interested in doing this class.............. He works in Chicago, but he is also an instructor at the University of Illinois fire college.

17. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Lets start a new thread and see how many people we can get and then we can talk to Marni and see when she could have it. IF there will be a lot of people to attend maybe it could be a 2-3 day clinic, so that everyone could attend, just a thought.

18. Tbitt

Sierra, see above......... :D

19. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I'll talk to Marni she might be able to put something together, I would never doubt her ability to do so! tbitt I'm shocked you have not confidence in her!

Fox Valley Trail riders has a spring social at her place, maybe we can try to get someone out to give pointers and idea then, we'll work on it.