Horse Dentist

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by MyTeDun, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Do you have an equine dentist come out or does your vet work on teeth? Are your horses checked yearly?

Curious~

2. Shell

Shell New Member

Checked yearly. One of the barns we board at has the dentist come out to check each horse signed up, if work needs to be done he'll work on those horses.
    The other barn for our other horse, had a sign up for the same equine dentist. Now that this horse is at a different barn and uses someone different, I will call the dentist I know.

3. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

I trailer to the dentist.

4. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I have Carter Wilson come to my place once a year for my bunch plus two of my friends haul here as well!!

5. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I take my guys to the Vet clinic for the dentist who comes through about every 6-8 weeks..Jeremy Chenowith...appts are set up at the clinic and he only has to set up equip. once..we take our turns having our horses detal work done..work out well for everyone. But he will make farm calls but there is an extra charge for him to come to you...travel time, set up, gas, break down equpiment, etc. SO it is cheaper for us to go to him..

6. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

Our Vet does teeth so when he comes for Spring Vacs they do the teeth also.

7. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I also use Jeremy. But I have to have him come to me.

I have 4 horses and a 2 horse trailer..............it is worth it for me to pay the "house call" fee.

I probably should ask around and see if people want to trailer over and make a day of it, that way we can split the fee and he can knock a bunch out all at onece............I might have to look into that!

8. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

considering you have to have a vet present this is a smart thing to do Tbitt.
    If enough people can make it, then not only the dentists farm call but also the vets farm call fee can be divided up amongst all the participants.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Tammy,
    Jeremy and Toni usually come to my place and set up every spring. They always have people trailer in----OR if I only have 1 or 2 that need work I haul to either Toni's barn or Bill and Ann's (? can't remember last name) at the corner of Malta Road and University.

10. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Oh, I forgot to post that Jermey does travel with Dr Trigo (sp?) - so ya - we kill all those birds at one stone toss................ >:D

11. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

That's what we do, my other client's trailer in. When someone organizes for them, they normally give a slight discount for the person who's farm it is. The bill is much cheaper when they have a ton of horses at one stop, we also make sure to be extremely organized....they always appreciate not having to stand around!

12. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

We're working on a date right now.

Sometime later in March they will be coming my way--- Jeremy has 5 to do here (yuck, I hate that bill--hopefully they are simply check ups and slight float)

13. 56hooves

56hooves Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, how much does it cost up there to get a dentist to work on your horse? Sabella Rush

14. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I used Carter Wilson up until last year -- he just got pricey as all get out, does a wonderful job though. I used to go to my vet's for the teeth, but when gas went through the roof that got old really quickly.

15. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Not cheap!
    I usually figure about $100-150 per horse for thorough check and clean up. I have 5 to do this spring plus 7 who need vacs,coggins and sheaths on two geldings who need to be tranqed

Can't find a vet that will come all the way out here for a simple float. My vet will not do it anymore without the dentist. I love her but wish she would save me some money.

A friend as close as Sandwich still has a vet that comes out and will float------ urghhhh
    That vet won't go west of Rt. 23---- I"m about 6 miles away

16. Cadence

Cadence New Member

$85 per horse no matter what he does. I am not allowed to name names!!LOL

17. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I use Carter

had Sassy done first with one other horse we hauled to him at Martinsville fairground those two horses were $180 each

the other three I had done here at home and they were $150 he did a total of 9 horses that day!!

hopefully it will be cheaper this year!!

18. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I agree completely PeggySue,

Cadence you're a brat---- $85????? How I wish

19. Cadence

Cadence New Member

MyTeDun,
    He is my best kept secret!!! :) I used to use Chenoweth, but NEVER again will I use them. Way to expensive nd there were other reasons also. My guy just raised his rates last year, from 75 to 85 LOL!! He is great!!

20. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I know I was "quaoted" about half of my price for this year we'll see... with having fairly young horses I can only hope they don't need too much work...