Horse "Rescue" Happening in Chicago right now

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Shannon, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Horse "Rescue" Happening in Chicago right now

I just saw a blurb on the Midday WGN news that there was an Animal Rescue happening right now. A carriage opperator "neglected half-a dozen horses and were malnourished and left in a vacant field under a tent"
    The news reporter said a crew was on their way and the news would update as soon as they had more info.

I was just wondering if this was the final takedown of our fellow MWH member :mad:

2. lori

lori New Member

Re: Horse "Rescue" Happening in Chicago right now

Crap. Where is that old post with the link to the animal rights people's blog where they were plotting this stuff? I searched but couldn't find it...

3. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

That would be total BS. I hope it isn't. :mad:

4. lori

lori New Member

Hopefully they didn't decide the horses were starving cause they dove into a pile of hay. But somehow... it wouldn't surprise me.

Is this Hossdrivers?
    http://cbs2chicago.com/local/carriage.horse.rescue.2.928664.html

Uh oh, gate chained shut. Uhmm... pretty much every gate I've got open to the outside is chained shut.

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

I've known Hoss for a long time and it just doesn't sound like something she would do....I can't see her abandoning horses after some hoops she's jumped through to find retired horses homes. I think there will be more to the story than the face value...I know she's been getting hit at all angles from some pretty whacked out peeps. I'm going to hold off on my opinion for a while until there are more facts.

6. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Um..........if they are out of the wind, and it didn't snow or rain on the horses, then it provided EXCELLENT protection........

Evidently because the horses are outside.................they are in horrid health and conditions! Right?

If there is neglect going on then it needs to be addressed! If not, then the only purpose this serves is to tighten the strangle hold the public has on us private owners..........

7. Shannon

Shannon New Member

My favorite was in the last news broadcast when they said that the horses were eating in the same area (stall) as they deficated ::)

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Hoss is speaking to her attorney now. There has been a lot going on and some crazy people involved, hence the site Lori is referring to (which I can't find either). But I will say it might be a good idea to hold judgement on her until the facts are out. There is one underweight horse there that Hoss doesn't deny, but not from neglect. Shelter is shelter when you've just lost your whole livelihood...

I think this blog might be the same people as the site we were looking for: exposingtruths.blogspot.com

9. lori

lori New Member

10. HossDriver

HossDriver New Member

I'm sitting at home right now because the CPD sergeant doesn't want me to get caught up in the media circus that Animal Control brought with.

None of the horses are starved. I have a hard keeper who lost weight. Are the stalls a mess? Sure. We were keeping them shoveled as best we could until I scraped up some money for real shavings instead of sawdust. In fact, we were going to go down today to clean and put down fresh shavings as I bought a load yesterday.

Feel free to call Animal Control at 312-747-1406 and let them know how you feel about what they've done. Mark Rosenthal is the ass who's been trying to take my horses away for a year, he's operations manager.

11. Angien

Angien New Member

Hoss
    What will you need to do to get your horses back now that they have them?
    I am sending you all my strength.

12. Shell

Shell New Member

I'd like to know too.
    I'm sorry this is happening. Your in my thoughts. If I can help in a small way, let me know.

13. lori

lori New Member

WOW, how ironic that this happened the day of the movie screening! Admonishing everyone to wear their Friday best to the screening tonight: http://chicago.animaldefense.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=233

And oh. The cold. When it is like 40 degrees today and was in the negatives a short while ago??

The ADL people say they've emailed various rescues to see who can take the horses--anyone know of these groups' response?
    http://chicago.animaldefense.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=112#p587

and someone wants one horse in particular:
    http://chicago.animaldefense.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=157

VERY CREEPY that the ADL people are figuring out where hossdriver's horses are going to go... please tell me they are not going to be in charge of making that decision???

14. Angien

Angien New Member

If that is the case( AC in charge of where the horses go) Maybe we as a hole can get together to help Hoss out?
    This is crazy.
    I would really like to post on that board Lori keeps showing us, but I am afraid I would go balistic...

15. Shell

Shell New Member

I read all that too. :mad:

It sucks this was all planned by a forum!

16. Jen

Jen New Member

Clearly the horses have been under the microscope for some time now, I am curious as to what warranted the seizure? Surely they are not taking all 5-7 horses for one hard keeper, are they?

17. lori

lori New Member

Hoss--what kinds of things can/should we say to animal control? Obviously, we haven't seen your horses so I don't feel right saying, "but they're not thin!" cause if they asked me, no I haven't seen them, so would it be good to ask--what was their evidence that the horses were being neglected? Where will they hold the horses? Have they made plans for sheltering and feeding the horses in some way that's better than yours--since that was the grounds that made them confiscate them from you?

I just suspect a lot of rescues utilize lean-tos and maybe don't have enough hay on hand to feed 6-7 large horses on a moments notice. Soo... if your fabric building or fabric enforced building isn't adequate I just gotta wonder how practically anyone is gonna pass muster.

18. HossDriver

HossDriver New Member

This isn't necessarily planned by the animal rights people. It's people within the industry who have been taking me down.

Go to exposingexposedtruths.blogspot.com That's me.

19. BUC

BUC Administrator

Well the one and only horse I have caught a glimpse of looks like a fat ass from the angle the picture was taken.

20. HossDriver

HossDriver New Member

The horses have been cooped up in the barn because of lack of activity. We turn them out in the lot from time to time, but they're destroying the stalls. So there's "evidence" of neglect. I have no shavings in the barn, they're in the back of my truck. Evidence of "neglect." I was low on hay and needed to get a load today. Evidence of "neglect."