Horse trailer repairs...am I unreasonable?

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by horsefreak, Feb 23, 2009.

1. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

OK I knew from the get go this was going to be a pain in the ass, I'm sure the dealer hates me because I'm frustrated every time I take my LQ trailer in for repairs for this very same reason. I need only three things done to it. We took it in last Monday, figured this time I will call weekly (instead of monthly). So today is week #1 I called this morning: they have ordered a holding tank, and have done nothing to the water heater...they have not even looked at it. The holding tank might be in Wednesday. I personally think they could have gotten to work on the water heater so that if they have to order parts for it, we would be on some kind of schedule...but no I guess I'm wrong. I get no estimates, no idea on cost...arg. Am I crazy or should they be in touch with me or have gotten to work on the other problems by now?

If I have this kinda of service on my truck I would NEVER go back to that dealer again. Well I'll keep ya posted weekly!

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

No you are not crazy.

From now on I'd suggest:

When dropping off the trailer, I would ask for an estimate for the reapirs and for an idea of when the trailer should/would be done - this should include the time it takes for parts to be ordered. Granted things come up - but you should push for a eta.

If push comes to shove, YOU set a date it needs to be done by.

I'd be a tad bit concerned that I have no price range for repairs. :eek:

3. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I for one would insist they notify you BEFORE any purchases are made ( holding tank) to let you know the cost. and what estimated time of repair will be, and some type of total cost for the entire job. Thats crazy..I think I would find somewhere else totake my trailer for repairs...it shouldn't be this hard to get repairs done...NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL !!!

4. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

And I'm sure that trailer mechanics upsell just like auto mechanics do...

5. lori

lori New Member

SO glad DW can do most of this on his own...

6. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Does DW want some extra work? ;D

7. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I was trying to go the hubby route, but he's great with home repairs we admittedly know nothing about campers. So we leave it up to the pros...lol lol lol.

The electric jack they quoted me 900+ to replace without even trying to fix the old one first, so we did hunt down the manufacture of the existing motor. We ordered that the day the trailer left, and it's already here waiting for the trailer to come back and he will be able to replace that for under $180.00.

Unfortunately LQ repair shops are few and far between, and this one is close to us. Most of this stuff you would just thing would be their policy to give estimates and try to save the customer money where you can etc...this trailer is not new.

This time around I'm trying not to get mad, I'm just a little frustrated that here we are at one week and I'm told they haven't even looked at the water heater.

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'd be pissed too. I don't care if they tell me before I bring something in that there will be a wait...but when it's there the only down time I expect is waiting on parts.

9. lori

lori New Member

LOL, I don't think he's physically up to it, but I'll ask. I think he also has a buddy down in the Marion area that puts in LQs and fixes... he is a good guy, so I'd trust him, it just may be far for everyone to go.

He replaced the toilet last year, it was going to be like $400 something just for the toilet, no labor. He ordered the same toilet (what's that manufacturer--they are everywhere) for ~$98 including next day shipping and installed it in like 15 minutes. That blew my mind. From what I've observed, nothing on the LQs is all that complicated if you are comfortable with doing the same job in your house, and can deal with working in tight spaces.

10. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Where is this place??
    I can give you the name of a couple others if you would like.

11. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Yes, I expected a wait on the holding tank, they had to order it from Sundowner. I hoped they could go out of the box and find another brand, but that was expecting too much. But my personal opinion it the water heater and awning adjustment should be done in the mean time. Just me maybe I would run their service department different then they do. If this trailer is all done next week and they don't blow the bill out of the roof, I will be satisfied, I'm just already expecting it not to be.

12. Pixin

Pixin New Member

I guess you wont be buying your new trailer there next year!

13. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

Have you tried an RV dealer/service center? The conversions they use in horse trailers and the same appliances, toilets, awnings, etc. they use in RVs. Unless it's still under warranty, I would go somewhere else.

14. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I agree with Sarah..any RV place can get the parts and CAN do the repairs..and if it is a Sundowner you can contact the company and get info from them ..even comment on the service you are NOT getting if your trailer is at a Sundowner dealership... We have had water heaters worked on, air conditioners, toliets, holding tanks etc. RV dealerships w/ repair shop know how all that works and they have access to the types of things used in LQ trailers..I hope you get your trailer back soon..and as good as new..Good Luck !!

15. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Maybe try Rondo in Sycamore next time....

16. Buffy

Buffy New Member

While we're on the topic here...

Has anyone ever had to have the awning on their trailer replaced? If so, how much did it run you. Mine needs it, but I'm debating if I should put if off till next year :-

17. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Check out the prices at Camping world, they carry the A&E which I would buy no other and they have sales. If you [plan to camp get one ASAP they will make a camping trip if you get caught in the rain. There is a guy in Mendota I would not touch, he really fucked up a friends awning...can't remember his name it's odd name.

18. Buffy

Buffy New Member

Patsy just filled me in on the experience of the red-head! ;)

Where is Camping World located out of?
    And I actually had planned on bringing a portable canopy everywhere until I get this one taken care of. PITA, I know :-[

19. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

He wasn't from Mendota - he was from Dixon or some place like that.

And - to my dismay the place in Mendota closed down! I had my Camper there a few times and LOVED their work! :'(

20. Trailrider

Trailrider New Member

Buffy-we had awaning replaced 2 years ago.At camping place-Some places wouldnt work on horsetrailers even if lnqs.But if do you should save tons over trailer dealership.Ours was deal that happened on trip home from OR. and insurance covered it orther wise chore boy(husband)would done it himself.
    I never cared for dealership that your dealing with.Our friends should of took them to court over crap that was wrong with there New death trap/trailer.We had inquired about trailers that that were listed in Hackamore years back and issue was current.When we got up there was already price difference (increase of $12,000).Buck that!!!! We bought same exact trailer well had four up grades added on same year for $9800. LESS than Hackamore dealership add listed it as.SHOP around is all I can say or wait and see how customer service is like,but than its too late.JMHO
    No Your no unreasonable.....