Horsemanship class patterns

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by MyTeDun, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I want to be able to participate in horsemanship classes, HOW on earth do you memorize the pattern?

I consider myself an intelligent person but these patterns look like they are written in chinese to me.

Are there specific patterns that judges use or do they make up whatever they want?

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

They make up a pattern that will consist of certain maneuvers-haunches turns, backing, loping, trotting, long trot, etc.

My friends always tease me, but I would visualize the pattern over and over by playing the maneuvers with my body.

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Then I consider myself screwed! I have a terrible time memorizing things~

4. horselessnolonger

horselessnolonger New Member

I knew a kid who was dyslexic (sp) and used to "draw" the pattern on the top of her hand in her own special code. She had perfected glancing down so quick nobody ever knew what she was doing.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

ah ha!!!! That is a good idea.

I should get my AQHA book out and practice-----(ONCE it warms up and I can ride again) burrrrrr!

I hate not having an arena.

Thought that judges used the same patterns so I was going to work on patterns that I have copies of. I've been thinking about doing this and writing down patterns from last years shows~ hummmmm?

6. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I honestly feel that the incapability of memorizing..

is our AGE !!

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Snaffle I couldn't agree more!!!
    Amazing how some things have changed/slowed down in the past 30 yrs.

I certainly am not as limber as I used to be too

8. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Usually at open shows they are pretty simple.

I liked to do the pattern on the ground. Literally go through all the motions without being on my horse.

I used to freak out about the reining patterns until I realized there were only like 12 manuevers just combined in an only-so-logical fashion. Way easier then memorizing a pattern some judge makes up different for each show. Soon, It didnt matter what pattern I had, all I'd have to remember was like spin right first, right circle first, 2 fast... and I could do the whole pattern... My fellow riders never could understand how I didnt need to see the pattern more than once. ;D

Have you googled and watched AQHA trail classes from like the congress or world show on youtube??? Wholy pattern batman! YIKES!

9. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Jessica and Adrienne used to take out a piece of paper, copy the pattern or course and then "walk" it through. Looks a bit odd, but a good way for more body focused folks to memorize.

The dressage tests are much like the reining patterns then Shannon.

Most horsemanship patterns do contain basic elements -- writing down a "test" pattern at home and then practice memorizing and riding it from memory. I always found that sort of thing helped with dressage and courses. Gets you in the habit.

10. horsecrazier

horsecrazier Senior Member

My daughter is dyslexic, so we draw a copy and she walks through it, then practices it on her horse. She says the best thing is to pray that there are several people in the line-up before her so she can also watch the pattern being performed. Once you've done it a few times the freak-out level comes down a little.

11. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks guys, thought I was in the minority with this.

Nice to know others don't just look at the patttern and go out there and do it.

You dressage riders make it look so easy---- I wouldn't even want to try doing that.

12. Daretodream

Daretodream New Member

Dressage tests are and excellent way to practice your riding skills and I would imagine that doing them at home would only make the components of a horsemanship pattern that much easier. Break the test into 1/3 and then add it all up. Like Shannon already said if you memorize the movements eventually you are just changing the order you do them.
    You might enjoy this link

http://www.showhorsepromotions.com/horsemanship.htm
    Good Luck this year!