HOSSDRIVER COURT DATE

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by SIERRA, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

HOSSDRIVERS court date is MARCH 12 we need to get where it is at, I assume that it is in the same place. I think as soon as she posts we should have a new thread and find out who all will take that day off work to be there ( we need more than 5 please ). Then pass it along to as many horse forums as possible. I will be there, how about you?

2. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

On the calander baby!! Tell Mark to bring his girlfriend again ;)

3. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

I will do my best............. I assume you will be driving again? ( Miss race car driver )

4. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I would like to give those attending the court session a bit of advice.

Please dress up as nice as you can! It doesnt matter if you are heading home to the barn... just came from the barn... etc etc.
    Take a moment and change clothes.. wear the best outfit you have
    (well except for prom dresses and wedding dresses hanging in your closet ;))

If you dont own a nice skirt.. dress pants etc.. borrow one!!
    Yes.. you will make an impression if you are wearing a skirt or dress pants.. a nice blazer talks volumes!

You do not have to go out and buy new clothes.. check out the thrift stores.

Put on your war paint !! ( make up)

When you are hanging out waiting for the court session..
    speak in words that will make all of us irate horse owners look polished and well educationed.

To stand around and burst forth comments like
    "these people dont know what they are talking about"
    "they should all go to hell" etc etc..

will not help any horse owner !!

Be professional and take advice from the experts on the boards.

Trust me.. even if you are sitting in the audience.. how you look..
    speaks volumes!!

5. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Funny that you say that snaffle........ because I was thinking that we should dress like we are the horse people, that we are, wear your jeans, dusters, bandanas, boots, cowboy hats, breeches, riding boots ( english ) to let everyone ( media ) what all horse disiplines that they have offended. Sgt. George thought that it was really cool the way that we dressed coming to the city, we are who we are! This way we will also know who are horsey people and who is against us. JMO. I am not saying come to court in your stall clothes, with shit up to your knees. I am just saying dress to who you are.

6. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

I will ask for it off and will be there...as me...in my clothes.

7. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Can someone that knows explain a few things to me to help me understand details?

Hope so, so here goes........

The court date set is for exactly what in reference to? Charges filed by the City, to get her horses back, both? something different?

And what are the charges, misdemeanors? Are they because of the conditions of the stables? , the horses? city violations? all above? How many violations have been declared by the city?, AC? or whoever has filed charges against?

Will the outcome of the court date also have an outcome of the horses future? Is this court date just a pre date will more court dates follow? or is this the major one and only?

Thanks!

8. desederada

desederada New Member

If the horses were seized illegally why do they still have them?

9. The drivers for Drexler that picked up her horses were Randy Drexler, and Jerry - who did/does run Flannery farms.
    That is quite a conincidence, don't you guys think???
    Wonder how deep this bs goes?

10. snaffle

snaffle Guest

another piece of advice..

speak to those people who walk past you in suits ...
    say "good morning" "good afternoon" or a simple "helloe"

11. 2horseygirls

2horseygirls Member

Hello all -

I'm brand new to the board, and was directed here from the Fugly site/Illinois Horse and posted on the original thread on this board.

One other thing that might prove useful from a PR standpoint (I work in PR):

When someone posts questions on the boards that are provoking, it is OK to get upset, but it is also an free opportunity to fine tune your response to questions like that, to gather your suppporting evidence (photos, receipts, etc.) and have it ready to disprove what is being said.

There was a person close to this situation (Mitch) who posted on Fugly and took the time to answer all the detracting questions that were posted in a clear, concise, rational manner. That goes a long way on Fugly, and it goes a long way in the real world.

People who post the criticisms and negative questions on boards, in TV reports and in the newspaper like this are actually doing you a huge favor by putting the questions out there and giving you the opportunity to think about them and formulate your answers.

By the time a reporter or investigator asks the same questions, you are not standing on the spot trying to put an coherent answer together, but rather have a clear, calm answer with the supporting documentation ready to whip out.

Just a thought.

I will be happy to help in any way I can. If anyone thinks it would be useful, I am happy to help prepare a fact sheet that supporters can use to respond to questions, or that could even be handed out to the media that covers the hearing, or that could be faxed to the news stations.

If it is neatly put together, with all the great links and information that everyone has posted, and several credible resources that reporters can contact for further information (equine vets, barn owners/managers, animal control/humane investigators, etc.), that will speak volumes about the responsibility, thoughtfulness and care with which HD & Mel operated their business and cared for their horses.

When you are hanging out waiting for the court session..speak in words that will make all of us irate horse owners look polished and well educated.

To stand around and burst forth comments like "these people dont know what they are talking about" and "they should all go to hell" etc etc.. will not help any horse owner !!

Be professional and take advice from the experts on the boards.

Trust me.. even if you are sitting in the audience.. how you look.. speaks volumes!!

The advice given on how to dress, hair & makeup is also correct from a PR standpoint. Yes, we are horse people but we're "going to town" so to speak. Just as those who wear 3-inch heels and white linen shorts aren't taken seriously when they show up at the barn, we will not be taken seriously if we do not dress to show respect for the courts and the gravity of the situation.

Hossdriver & Mel, good luck!

12. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

If the horses were taken illegally, weren't they more or less stolen? What is stopping hoss (legally) from just going and getting her horses? This confuses me.

13. MelW

MelW New Member

14. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Hoss needs to file an injunction against the seizure. The court will then decide if they were taken legally or not and either uphold the seizure or dismiss it and order the horses returned. The plan was to file an injunction yesterday, but obviously there were other things going on. She was going to contact her attorneys today to get the ball rolling.

The court date is set for the charge Hoss and Mel were arrested for yesterday. Hoss can tell you what the exact charge was, but it was something along the line of negligence to property. While it had to do with horses per se, it wasn't specifically an animal negligence charge.

Hoss will be filing separately to have the horses returned to her. The court date set from the arrest has nothing to do with it. The only way it will affect the horses being returned is if they are not returned by the court date...if the arrest is thrown out, it's likely to support the horses being returned. If the arrest is held up then it might have a negative impact on the injunction ruling. However, it's very possible the injunction and seizure issue will be over by the time Hoss goes to court for the arrest.

Yes, they are misdemeanor charges. If they were felony charges she would not have been released on bond.

It's hard to say if this will be the only court date. It's dependent on if Hoss pleads guilty, not guilty or no contest. It also depends on if the judge upholds the charges or not.

Hope this helps...

15. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

That link takes me to the article about the carriage co being slated for closure.

16. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

Funny, I can find it on the web, but only copies from 2002, which stop at section H....

17. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

yep me either.................maybe they took it off since we all wrote in and complained??????

18. Harp918

Harp918 New Member

I think a quick press release and/or a media kit would be very appropriate. Of course, it would be up to Hossdriver & Co. on whether or not that is a good idea for them. Personally, I believe they need all the help they could get and it might prove VERY useful.

19. Terri

Terri New Member

The charge sounds like it means the water getting in the building. Flooding barns is not that all uncommon of a thing to happen. Any way of using that fact, possible evidence that it happens. My last 2 barns had that problem.

20. lori

lori New Member