How do I quit using my long time beautician?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Jamik, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Jamik

Jamik New Member

Sounds simple, but geez I've been going to her for 13 or 14 years. It started when she wouldn't cut my Son's hair like I requested... 3 times in a row! It's not like it's a tough request. He wears his hair longer, which is fine by me as long as it looks like a hair style and not just a mop that's grown out and someone forgot to cut. I hated the way it looked in the back... just looked grown out and weird. Told her to layer it, do something with it. Didn't happen. I think it's the fact that she's been out of school for 20 however many years and isn't up on things. Now I have asked her for help/ideas for my hair, what looks good with my face shape, etc.. .she has no help or suggestions. I know, it's my hair, my decision, but I've never met a beautician/cosmetologist/whatever you want to call them who didn't love to get ahold of someone that wanted a change. I think I'm leaving. Do I tell her, or just leave? I do run into her occasionally, and we are "friendly", not really friends as in we don't hang out. How would you handle it? I just don't want to hurt her feelings.

2. lori

lori New Member

Hmm, I would make something up about how your long lost friend from high school is now a hair dresser and she needed cash so you went to her.

Or you went to visit a friend who lives up north and she dragged you into a Mario Tricocci for facials and you ended up getting a hair cut.

OR your friend knew that you were looking to make a change and she gave you a gift certificate/took you somewhere for your b-day!

My GRANDMA used to cut my hair (she was a beautician a long time ago, like in the 60s!) and I quit going to her... you can do it. :)

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

You could go elsewhere with your son and both of you get spiffy new hair cuts. If you like the gal and want to try to maintain a relationship with her then go back after you get new styles and see if she can conform.

But it sounds like you've given her ever opportunity to do what you want. I wouldn't feel bad or give her any excuses, I'd just go elsewhere.

4. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Just move on...if ya run into her..I wouldn't comment unless she did first. then tell her you needed a change..CHANGE IS GOOD !!! When ya find a good one let me know..my gal is MIA..hooked up with some meth head..what a waste !!! I haven't had my hair cut in over a year now..looks like crap, but I really haven't taken the time to find another. SO if ya find one who LISTENS..let me know GOOD LUCK

5. lori

lori New Member

:p Here is who I like, and she is CHEAP! And after she cuts your hair, run over to Dos Reales (in Champaign) for lunch.

Cindy 217-352-7857

6. Mischiefsgirl

Mischiefsgirl New Member

My mom was a beautician and we would fight about my haircuts all the time. She refused to do continuing education and couldn't do layers to save her life. Finally, she told me to go to someone else.

So I did. I love every hair cut I get now.

It's like a bandaid - do it fast and all at once.

7. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Shave your head and tell her you have no more need of her services. :D j/k ;)

If she no longer meets your needs, just move on.

8. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Use the economy as an excuse. Tell her your friend does your hair for practically nothing and you had to make some cut backs on finances and that was one of them.

9. Jamik

Jamik New Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys. And Mass... your idea is probably best. Shave the shit off and never worry about it again. I would look fantastic, I am sure. :laugh:

10. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

I'm no help but it reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. He "cheats" on his barber. Hilarious!

11. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I like BUC's idea... just tell her the truth.. it isn't necessary to lie to her..

but then again.. I LOVE Mass's idea!!! LOL I have SO threatened to shave my head... hubby has his that way.. he uses a whole lot less shampoo and crap... AND can wake up without bed head...

12. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I wouldn't say anything unless you run into her and she asks you first. I would imagine she has experienced the loss of a customer a few times in her life! I am about to do the same thing, mine just does the same thing all the time and lately I have not been impressed with how my hair lays afterwards, so I am looking to change as soon as I decide on who to go to next.

13. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I had the same beautician for many years..

When she colored my hair..
    my hair would always turn a brassy orange.. after a few washing... I discussed it with her several times and she told me.. it was just MY hair.

hmmm...
    I quit going to her cold turkey.
    When the next lady colored my hair.. she told me the brassy color was caused by my country WELL water and the minerals in it.

With that information, I called my previous beautician to tell her what I learned..
    her reply??
    Oh yeah that is right... well water will do that.

HUH?? well why didnt she seem to ever tell me that before!!

want to quit going to her?

just do it.
    If she ever calls you to ask about you..
    then you can avoid answering the phone..

or simply tell her.. your life has so many obligations.. that you just can not squeeze it in.... and drop it.

14. Epona

Epona New Member

Tell her you bought a Flowbee. :angel:

15. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

you don't have to tell her anything........ just don't go back......... enough said.

16. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I agree you don't owe her an explanation,if she wanted to keep your business she would have listen to you...so you want a change no big deal...I'm sure you're going to love it when you find someone new you like. It took me a three years to find someone I really like after leaving my old job and looked for someone closer to my new job.