How often do they do Barrels at the Double G?

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Tbitt, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I know they had something, speed event, there 2 weekends ago.....

But how often do they have events there?

I've gone there for tack sales.............for the BLM mustang sales.............I've even seen a gaited show there once.

Do they actually have events that are open to the public?

I live so close and never hear anything about them..............

Anyone?

2. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I saw 'barrels' >:D
    Tbitt, if YOU'RE close, then I can't be too much further. Where is this place you speak of?

3. Joie

Joie New Member

The Winter Barrel series is just about every weekend, or so it seems. That place is always jumpin'...

http://www.doublegarena.com/Schedule.html

If ya'll gals want to come out one weekend, let me know. I am less than 3 miles away and we can all meet!

4. OCF

OCF New Member

There will be a barrel show this weekend at the Double G, exhibition starts at 9:00 on Saturday and 4-D starts at noon. The 4-D starts at 11:00 on Sunday. This is the winter barrel series produced by Karen Turvey.

The next weekend will be a performance horse auction, by Staley Auction Service.

Here is the schedule, so far, for '09. http://www.doublegarena.com/Schedule.html

Where are you guys located?

Oops I see Joie beat me to the punch.

5. Tbitt

oooooo.....this weekend?

I know PonyT's daughter runs in some of the barrel shows - she did, that last weeked.....That is why I was asking, to see what is coming up that I can go watch.

PonyT!!!! PonyT.........are ya coming up?

Heck I am 30-40 minutes from there. It is an EASY drive!!!!!

Anyone open for the day? Wanna go hang?

'splain how this Performance horse auction works......That might be fun also!

6. PT

PT New Member

We'll be there next weekend (hopefully with horses) next weekend, and the weekend after for the sale.

7. OCF

OCF New Member

I'm there every weekend of the winter series.

8. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Nope I can't make it. I am not sure if Lyns will be going or not with her trainer. This weekend is the son's turn to drag us around for his fun hobby time. We will be going to Peoria to do some army surplus and airsoft shopping, woohoo yippee, ya right. ::)

As far as the auction, my understanding on how it works is....
    1. You go
    2. Pretty black fillly comes up missing >:D And I didn't even have to bid. ;D :-*

9. OCF

OCF New Member

Any more entrants would be very welcome. There is a good payback and I think that it will likely be a smaller race this weekend.

10. Tbitt

HEY!!!!!!! :slapfight:

What time are you going PT? I'm trying to talk the hubby into going with me..............so far not so good..........I might have to leave him home with a list of chores...... >:D

11. lori

lori New Member

I wish Sterling weren't such a PITA distance for me. I reckon the trade off is Gordyville in the backyard, but still!

12. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

It's such a nice place, can't believe it's not sold yet.

I've shown there once (in Halter, of all things) but have been there about 5 times helping/spectating for a friend. I'd love to enter in the barrel races, but I hear they go on practically through the night with all the entrants. Wonder how many entries they'll have with the horrible economy... Horse people will find a way. ;)

13. Buffy

Buffy New Member

T, I REALLY need to get my guy out to your place to throw him on a set and see what he can do. ;)

I'll go on Sunday to watch if someone wants to ride along with me.

14. OCF

OCF New Member

People who would buy it take a look at what the upkeep on the place costs and how much work it is and they get scared off. I don't blame them.

The barrel races don't usually go on that late, and this weekend there is another barrel race up in WI I think so several of the regulars that are from that area will probably go there. The weather has a lot to do with how many show up too. Of course there are a few that will come out no matter what, but I've been getting finished by mid-afternoon the last few races. I do the back-up timing for the barrel shows.

15. lori

lori New Member

I was going to say... a show that starts at 8/9 AM and runs til late at night--I am THERE! OCF, since you're here, how many in each class? No added $?

16. OCF

OCF New Member

It just depends on how many show up for a show. On a nice day last fall there were over 150 in the 4D which is the one, but on a really lousy weekend weather wise and if there is another show the same weekend we have been down to around 30. There is a show in Deerfield this weekend so some of the regulars from up north will likely go there.

They run two 4D's each day, with the second 4D being $100 added. They also have a peewee class, for the little kids, that is run before the first 4D, then there is a youth 3D, we have several youth riders, then there are novice horse and novice rider classes plus poles at the end of each day.

There will be one weekend in March and then the championship buckle series in April.

ETA I think there is 80% payback on the races. I just got home from working up there

17. PT

PT New Member

Are the points added up from all the winter shows that go into the April buckle series? Oh, and how much for a one day (not overnight) stall rental? When do I have to reserve by? Thanks OCF!

TBitt, don't know time or day yet but I'll let you know as soon as I do!

18. OCF

OCF New Member

I'm not sure about daily stall rentals but I think overnight is $25. That isn't really my area but I believe that is correct. It helps to book a stall ahead of time but I'm pretty sure they have plenty of them. Particularly for a small show. There are around 200 between the three barns. If the weather is bad Turvey's horses will probably be in but Tommie is in Georgia this weekend so he will have four of them with him.

Yes the points are added over the series for the awards in April. That is when the buckles and other prizes will be awarded.

19. PT

PT New Member

Weather.com is now saying we're going to get whollamped on by snow Friday night and Saturday, so plans may change... as in we'll stay home and hide ;D

20. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Lyns is heading up there Friday night with her trainer but only staying through Saturday, not on Sunday.

If anyone goes just look for the butt ugly roan horse ;D ;D