I did it all by myself!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shelley, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I am so darn proud and impressed with myself. I am a novice sewing machine user. It took me 30 minutes to thread the darn thing. I have only sewn solo on it once and that was hmmm, 5 months ago. Today I replaced a zipper on a dog bed cover. I went on-line hoping to get some kind of instruction on how to accomplish this task. Ripping out the old zipper was easy-peasy. Trying to figure out how to sew the new one back in was a bitch. Envision putting a zipper on the open end of a pillow case. That's what I had to do and for a first zipper project I don't think it could get anymore difficult...at least that's the way I feel.

The zipper works! It's not professional quality work and I wouldn't dream of entering it into a Project Runway type show but it serves it purpose. I get to deliver the finished product to my friend tomorrow.

2. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

good for you!!! :)

3. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Karma just slapped my upside the head. After posting my brag, I dropped a raw egg on the kitchen floor. ha

4. Margot7

Margot7 New Member

Well, I'm impressed! Not about the egg though :) I have a very nice Brother sewing machine that was a gift about 4 years ago that I've never used. It came with an instructional video and all...never watched. Today I finally looked into a beginners sewing class for me and my daughter(9) and I'm so excited! If I could repair a zipper I would be so excited!! You go girl!

5. April

April New Member

Good for you!! I was blessed with a mom who can sew. She used to make a lot of my clothes. So I was using a sewing machine at a young age. But I can remember the first time I went solo on it to make something for my son. Mom was at her house and I think I burned up the phone lines.

6. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I tried to sew one time. My mother-in-law was a seamstress by profession so she thought she could teach me needless to say we spent half a day trying to figure out how I could have sewn the arm of a shirt to the back of the shirt needless to say I never tried again much easier just to send it to her.

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Congrats!!! And don't worry about the egg, the sewing is a bigger deal~

Right now I don't think this blind old lady could see the hole in the needle to get the thread thru it. I used to sew, been alot of years
    only machine around is an antique singer. One of those little black ones that come packed in the carry box.