I HATE Yorkville Schools

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by alljackedup, Jan 15, 2009.

1. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Please bear with me as I vent a little.

I just received an email from my daughter's pricipal regarding her receiving a 4 hour Saturday detention. :mad:

Guess what it is for? Just take a few wild guesses. You guys will never guess this. I'm so fuckin mad, I can't even put it into words. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

She wasn't wearing a hat and gloves yesterday when she got off the bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't matter that she wears a heavy carhart coat with a hood, and had gloves in her pockets. They yelled at her because she wasn't using them. They were calling all the kids aside who didn't have them on.

When in the hell did it become the schools business, that kids be properly outfitted before walking out to the bus. The girl is 14 fucking years old, has a head of hair thicker than mine, and those of you that know me, know I got ALOT of hair. ;D She knows when she's cold!!! They're treating these kids like they're 3 and can't make their own decisions. If she freezes her ass off, it's her own fault that she didn't wear her gloves.

I'm contemplating my rebuttal, so any responses that are appropriate, yet get the point across would be appreciated. I am going to respond and let them know that she will NOT be attending her detention, but want to make it perfectly clear, that we are still her parents, and therefore responsible for her safety. Maybe mom and dad and big brother should have to sit with her too, because I didn't even wear a coat yesterday to work. :p

I thought that detention was for disciplinary purposes. When did not wearing proper winter attire become a school offense. It's not like they go out for recess anymore.

Thanks for listening... :-*

I am SOOOOOOO pissed.

2. Buffy

Buffy New Member

I wish I could help with a suitable response - they wouldn't WANT to read a letter from me :-X :slapfight: :th_flipoff:

3. desederada

desederada New Member

4. PT

PT New Member

Wow. That's a first, especially for a 14 year old! :eek:

5. 4horses

4horses New Member

Sorry but I am speechless!! I would give them both barrels on this one. It's incredible how many people are abusing their powers to justify their own causes. Whoever is giving out detentions for not wearing "proper" attire for winter should be shot. Give em hell AJU!!

6. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Snaffle, I really need a level headed answer here.....if I write back right now, she might end up getting suspended. I know they can't do that to her for something that I say, but until yesterday, I didn't dream that she could get a detention for not having gloves on. It's just the most asinine thing I've eve heard of.

7. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I got nothing for ya.

Where is PonyT when you need her?!?!?!?

8. lori

lori New Member

I would just ask them why they are punishing the kids when it's clearly the parents responsibility to make sure they have the proper equipment. You'll have a talk with your daughter, you believe she had gloves in her pocket at the time, and you'll be using that time on Saturday (your day off) to take her shopping to see if there is a hat she would like to wear under her coat's hood, so she regretfully will not be able to attend detention. In the future you would prefer a note or phone call home about the situation so that you may take care of these issues rather than put them through the trouble of having another kid in Saturday detention.

You get the satisfaction of knowing you just bullshitted the hell out of them, and they think but probably won't be too sure whether they just got a line of BS or whether you are little Miss on top of it.

9. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

No shit. I can't decided if I need to take the high road, and politely tell them where they can shove this detention, or just let hem have it with both barrells.

Don't wanna make waves for Em. ;)

10. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

That's a good idea Lori. Be sarcastic, yet firm. Thing is, she showed them the gloves in her pocket, and was repremanded for not having them on her hands for the 15 ft that she had to walk from the bus to the door.

It's kinda scary to think that schools have been given this much control. Next thing ya know, we're gonna be getting detention notices cause she's....well, I can't even think of anything dumber than this. ;) ::)

11. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Good 'ol YHS....I went there. That school is such shit, sounds like it still is. My principal at the time I went used to be a teacher (in college I believe) and ended up marrying one of his students. Then like the perv he really was, would look the girls up and down in the hallways...You could actually see his eyes moving up and down. He tried giving me Sat detentions all the time...I told him :th_flipoff: I never went.

Ok that was not helpful. Anyway...I agree be firm and just argue your point. Dont they give out "rule books" at the begining of the year? I bet it wont be in that....case closed.

12. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Awwww hell ya! Check the handbook - I've use that to my advantage a few times.

13. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

There is nothing in the handbook about winter weather. I told them that I needed to be sitting right next to her, cause I didn't even wear a coat yesterday.

I just let them know that she won't be attending, and that they are overstepping their boundaries here.

14. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

blue- when did you graduate? They got a new principal a couple years ago, that's a great guy. The middle school on the other hand, has a useless, schmuck for a principal.

15. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

While I tottally agree with you, this is not age appropriate for a 14 year old. But were they told to put them on before getting off the bus and she did not? I do think the school her her safety in mind, just because she's old enough to make a decision that doesn't mean she's going to make the right one based on the beyond freezing temps. I would tell them to shove it up their ass unless she did not follow a direct order.

16. mrlugar

mrlugar New Member

OMG! There are so many other issues they need to be focused on!

I would respond saying thank you for the concern, you will address the issue with your daughter, and that the matter will be taken care of at home - no need for a Saturday detention.

For 4 years, I wore a blue jean jacket as my "winter coat" with little slip on flats - no boots. At West Aurora, they were just glad you CAME to school - they didn't give a shit what you looked like, unless you wore gang attire.

17. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Horsefreak, she did have all her stuff on while she was waiting for the bus. :) She always takes everything off on the bus, cause their bus driver always has the heater cranked up to hell, and Em gets hot. I ran out to give her a note the other morning, and stepped up into the bus, and it was very toasty in there. It's no more than 50 ft from the bus to the door of the school.

I did tell them that it will be dealt with at home, as I believe all things should be. I also informed them that there are much more important things that they should be focusing on.

I just spoke with one of her friends' mom, and she ALSO was writing a rather lengthy email regarding her daughter getting detention. I finally got ahold of a freind of mine who's hubby works there, and they have 82 kids in detention saturday. Guess how many are actually there for disipline issues.......4.
    All the rest are from this stupid glove/hat bullshit.

18. PT

PT New Member

What was their response??

19. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Boy, PT, I can tell that you don't deal with Yorkville schools. :nana: :D :p :-*

A response this soon? I won't hear anything back until late tomorrow afternoon, if at all. :slapfight:

20. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

No help here, but I had a 4th grader walk in off the bus this week in a hoodie.....that's it. All that I did was ask where his coat was. He mumbeld something and kept walking. Not much that I could do about it.

When kids walk in the door complaining of the cold, and they DON'T have a hat or gloves on I gently say "Maybe you will remember your hat tomorrow."