I think this is a good deal

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Tbitt, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

2. lori

lori New Member

$5.50/sq ft? You could get some nice hardwood for that price, I think... :D

3. Tbitt

I'm thinking for a cross tie area.

I'm not having my horse piss and poop all over hardwood! :th_puke:

I want mats - but I'm afraid they might be too slippery.

Drifter can not stand tied for more than a few minutes without pacing and pawing - which pisses the heck out of me! He is creating ruts and low spots. He is building up the stuff all along the door fronts, making it hard for me to open and close the darn stall doors!

He ticked me off on Saturday, while waiting for the Vet to show up, to the point that I stood next to him with the lunge whip. EVERY time he mooved a hoof I whacked him in the shoulder! Fucker got the idea real fast and would not move a muscle - but as soon as I waled away - he starred right back up with his crap!

I kept running back over to him to give him another whack............. >:D He did finally decide to calm down a bit - but still............I had to replace all the shit he kicked up!

4. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

I have heard that they move and shift pretty easily, especially with temp. changes. I have mats throughout my stalls/barn aisles, and would agree that they would be slippery when wet. I have seen mats at Farm and Fleet that have square holes in them...not sure how they hold up?

5. Tbitt

See, I don't know anyone who has these! I'd love to visit a place that has used them and see how they work.

The instructions say to use an adhesive.................but I don't have a cement floor - so what would I adhere it to?

I wonder if we bump them tightly between the stall fronts and then put a "nailer" at the open end.....

One day I'll have a wall up (will be the outside of the future tack room). Which will make the cross tie area all boxed in but the front...........

I thought about the mats with holes, but the waste will get caught in the holes...............I'd have a fit trying to clean it!

6. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I too want to do something non-slippery for my cross-tie/grooming/farrier/vet area... I was thinking about the textured mats that interlock, I think Farm & Fleet have them or can order them direct from Humane Mfg. and pick them up in Wisconsin. I'd be worried about the pavers for some reason... Plus they are kinda thick and tall so the entire aisle would have to be done in it. Can't spend THAT much money on it.

7. cudabear

cudabear New Member

My ex In-laws have brick in the aisle of one barn and 3 tackrooms. If they are similar to brick, they can be a pain. (shifting and settling) If you want I can give you their number and/or location you can stop by to see. (You probably already know them.) And pick their brain on what he'd do different.

Cuda

8. Tbitt

These are "rubbery" bricks............for lack of a better term.........

9. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Your base under the pavers has to be solid and level..I know a Gal who has had them in her barn for better than 10 yrs and not a single on has moved or shifted..they LOOK AWSOME... it is all in the application..do right the first time and you won't have to do it again...

10. Tbitt

Ok - set up the tour.

We are coming over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Shadow

Shadow New Member

Ok, I will try but don't get your hopes up..this gal is a MAJOR whacko..and come to thnk of it so are her horses...rumor has it she spent over 1 million on this barn..unfreakin believeable...nice place but ya know..it is going to hell pretty quickly..she will not listen to anyone...I know I worked for her for awhile and decided it wasn't worth getting myself hurt over.. perfect example of more $$$$ than brains.