ice storm 2009

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shelley, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Some of your southern Illinois members (including me) are without power due to the ice storm. Thought I'd post a pic of how much ice is covering our trees. I have man hands and the ice on these branches is thicker than my fingers. Walking down the deserted road to feed the horses was an experience. The crackling of ice reminded me of an amplified bowl of Rice Crispies cereal. When trees in the forest broke from all the weight, it sounded like a shotgun blast. We have the generators running to say warm and power up essentials....like my computer. :D

[​IMG]

2. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

YIKES Shelley!!! Ice is bad.. MmmKay?

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

That is nasty looking----- Worse then a full blown blizzard!

Stay safe

4. Shell

Shell New Member

Wow!

I bet everything looks pretty, though. :)

5. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

It is beautiful and I wish my pictures captured the rainbow of colors the light made shining through the ice. It is much better now that the power came back on. Only 5 hours without power. I'm not complaining at all. We might try and make it to the main highway tomorrow. We have had no mail delivery for 2 days.

6. pinp

pinp New Member

You and me both. I could get out of my drive... but getting back in could be a problem.

7. susiebk

susiebk New Member

Keep safe you guys....hubby is in ESL right now and says its BADDD......

We had this a few weeks ago, but luckily I got this for Christmas...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat20588&id=0027183830551a&navCount=1&podId=0027183&parentId=cat20588&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

works like a CHARM!!! don't slip on the ice anymore....and very reasonably priced.....

I also have a really ANAL type A personality DH, so we got a whole-house generator a few years ago. Really came in handy last month.......

Stay SAFE!!!!

8. paige

paige New Member

I cannot get out of my own driveway--so the hubby had to bring me to work today--and even the big truck had a hell of a time getting down our driveway. He is rarely even in town, so I got lucky--or I would be stuck in that house forever

There are some pics of my poor horses with icicles hanging off of them on my blog. They are clearly not smart, as they all have barns and sheds to get in, but apparently could not be bothered. Those pics were taken during the sleet but before the snow

9. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

We did make it into Harrisburg this morning. Going the 2.5 miles down our back road was interesting. We followed the tracks hubbies tractor made while clearing downed trees yesterday. It was like those kiddie car rides where you don't have to steer because the cars are on metal tracks. Our truck just bounced around in the tracks on the road. It was scary when passing the lone vehicle we saw on our way out. Main highway wasn't too bad. I'm glad I don't live in Rosiclare or Golconda Illinois. I hear both those towns are completely without power. I'm located between them so my area must have lucked out.