IL Gun Owners - Have you seen/heard of this?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Appyrider, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Appyrider

Appyrider New Member

I was watching the news and when I heard "Illinois" - my mind went to the Burris stuff - but, then they mentioned gun laws - I decided to listen more closely

The way it was reported is that Ken Dunkin has submitted a bill to committee that if passed would require any IL gun owner to PURCHASE a million dollar insurance policy for each "neglectful use" and for "accidental use".

According to the news story - there is NOT an insurance company out there that offers an insurance policy that would payout a million dollars should you, gun owner, decide to go out and shoot someone on purpose. WTF?

And, they said, should an insurance company decide to offer such policy - you can bet your sweet ass, it will cost a fortune and if you did NOT purchase one (should the bill pass) you would be arrested on a felony charge. (And jail time could be a punishment).. WTF??

You know - with all the shit happening in IL politics, I think it is time to think about a different state to live in!

Could this be a back door attack on our 2nd amendment - make it financially impossible to own a gun. Also, the news report stated that between 10-20% of IL murders are committed by stabbing - How come "knives" don't require a policy? And interestingly, You need a FOID card in IL before you can purchase a gun, or go to an accredited firing range to shoot. However, I would love to see the statistics on those criminals arrested and/or convicted on a gun charge and if they have a FOID card.

Sounds like punishing the folks that are playing by the rules.

here's one article on it - there are tons of others if you google:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread437603/pg1

2. horsedreamin

horsedreamin Active Member

I heard they are also going to try for "concealed weapons" again.

At first, I was against the idea, but after speaking with my son who now lives in Colorado and previously, Arizona, it makes more sense.

Crooks are less likely to try to rob someone if they don't know if that person is armed or not.

Yep, what you're talking about, Appyrider, sounds like a "back door" attempt to me, too. Then for sure the only people with guns will be the assholes/criminals.

3. Jen

Jen New Member

I urge all concerned with 2nd amendment rights to join the NRA.

4. DENNIS

DENNIS Member

There is definately a bill being worked on for concealed carry in Illlinois which is being supported by the Illinois Sheriffs Assoc. I have a million dollar liability policy added to my insurance since I have concealed carry license. It is not that expensive and will save you butt if you do shoot someone.

5. NutsEmom

NutsEmom New Member

Dennis, is that million dollar liability specifically for having the concealed carry permit? Or is that covered under general liability on your homeowner's or an umbrella policy? (I've been out of the insurance game so long that it wasn't an issue when I was in it. I'm very curious though!)

6. paige

paige New Member

That makes little to no sense--virtually no insurance policy would be required to pay out on an intentional act that violated the law. I could see if paying for accidental discharge, but nothing else

7. DENNIS

DENNIS Member

The policy is an umbrella policy but will cover me if I have to use my weapon. Naturally if you commit an illegal act, you might have a problem. BUT I am authorized to carry a weapon and if I use it to protect my family, my life or the life of someone else then it is not an illegal act. There is a lot of difference between just taking a life and taking a life in defense of someone.

8. susiebk

susiebk New Member

OK-so what does this mean to everyone in law enforcement???? I can't think of one police officer that DOESN'T have a secondary weapon......

9. DENNIS

DENNIS Member

If you are talking about insurance, a police officer is covered by departmental insurance any time they take law enforcement action if they act according to the law. If you do something illegal then the department can sell you down the river but they leave themselves open for a law suit even more so by doing that. If you are a police officer you run the risk of being sued each time you do your job but most of the time the suits go no where.

10. glf01

glf01 New Member

We got an umbrella policy years ago for a million because of the horses. If someone were to get kicked or bit it would cover that and in my husbands job if someone were to try and sue him.