I'm rather disappointed..

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by photofinish, Jan 20, 2009.

1. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

... I just went through many, many threads on here looking for a place I could engage in a good argument debate to vent my snarkiness. I couldn't find any. :'( I'm not sure if I fired my longtime gallop boy today, or if he quit, it was mutual, but it sucks. I'm frustrated by insignificant red-tape on regs and unprofessional behavior at the training center PLUS stall issues at the main track and I wanted to snark on something, but, for once, there is nothing. So, it appears I must settle for a run-on sentence, which is very unsatisfying. :- :slapfight:

2. doc T

doc T New Member

I am not positive what a snark is, but if you want a conversation with a little stank on it, let it roll.

Doc T

3. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Hey Buffy - you're ugly and you dress funny. :th_flipoff:

No need to thank me. Now flame away!!! :flame:

4. photofinish

Thank you so much for that offer!.... Wanna pick on the racing industry? Or discuss the unwanted horse population? I'm not much on politics, outside of how they affect the horse industry stae-by-staete, but I could attempt it..

5. doc T

doc T New Member

Sure, let's talk about racing. What aspect though?

6. photofinish

Umm, Buffy has always seemed pretty decent, so leave her alone! Bully!

I could do better, if I really knew her....... ;D

7. photofinish

Horse?

8. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

Where's that popcorn smiley? I am woefully ignorant about the racing industry, but it fascinates me. Please discuss, whilst I lurk and read! Photofinish, where do you race?

9. doc T

doc T New Member

I see. Fairly sharp individual. Allow me to clarify. Do you want to talk about training, purses, trainers(in general), retired racehorses, etc? Actually we need not talk about any of that if you don't like. Pick a topic, or ask a question. I must warn you, I am borderline retarded.

10. photofinish

I've been in NM for the last 2 1/2 years. Before that I raced mainly in the Chicago area, with regular forays to MI, IN, IA, KY, and several winters in AZ. Only TBs. I like alot about NM, but they are about 15 years behind the rest of the industry in many aspect and the "rules" seem to fluctuate with great regularity and in accordance with how many generations of your family have trained here.... I am also starting to believ that English may be a secondary language as opposed to primary.

11. doc T

doc T New Member

I will buy the latter aspect of you post. Do you still enjoy racing? Is it still fun?

12. photofinish

OK, we could probably be pals, then. I have been labelled "a good 1/2-turn off center" myself and I have never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed. We could maybe discuss the so-called racehorse rescues popping up all over who want owners to pay to "donate" their horses, but then go buy horses for $500+ at sales and call them "rescues"? That is a good bunch to dump on >:D

13. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Oops. That was really meant for you Photo. Got my peeps mixed up. :-

14. photofinish

Yeah, it is about the only way a poor kid with sorry BSing skills could make a living (however modest) playing with horses. So, I appreciate that! Some times all the paperwork and personnel issues can overshadow the horse part of the business. But, I s'pose that is any industry.

It is always exciting, too, that we are always in the public eye and take the hit for the entire equine industries' problems. That is one oft he great advantages of these forums, you can actually "talk" to people and give them the side of the story HBO, NBC, whoever doesn;t bother to show. Let's face it - negativity gets ratings and knocking racing is much more PC than knocking, say, the Amish...

15. doc T

doc T New Member

I will say that there are some good rescues out there. End of statement.

My favorite racing industry entities however, are those people who want every joint injected, orifice scoped, diuretic prescribed and treadmill exam done on there overpriced 3 yr old who isn't winning. Not every horse can win....some are slow. they were born slow and that is how they shall stay.

16. doc T

doc T New Member

I always said that I will stop working on horses when it stops being fun. Or when I start feeling bad about milking all those people out of millions of dollars!!!!

17. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

Have you seen the commercials for that series on animal Plant called Jockeys? I plan to watch, but I don't know much about racing. How far from reality do you think it will be?

18. photofinish

Ahah, so the "Doc" is for vet? ;). You wouldn;t like my barn as much. My owners are not the carte-blanche with the vet ones, though I have dreamed of those kind of owners sometimes! I am a big proponenet of scoping post-work, and post-race, but I don't inject as much as many. I'd rather spend more time rubbing/icing/adjusting training and using a Lubrysin type supplement or Adequan or Legend and stay out of the joints as much as we can, sometimes we can't. Of course, the slow ones need alot less maintenance anyhow - can'.t hurt them

19. photofinish

I seem to catch the very last 2 seconds of that commercial, so I don't know what to expect, but I will watch it.
    I am trying to picture them interviewing some of the riders "Thee 'orse, he deed not run too good today. I think he gon' run good, but he don' " We have so many riders who are articulate and so many hispanic riders who worked hard to learn English, but those types of shows always seem to seek out the inarticualte ones :-. Kind of like when interviewing people after a disaster, they find the ones who dropped out after 6th grade and make your whole town look like close cuzins ?

I will be curious to see what the show is like, though.

20. doc T

doc T New Member

I understand that it is in fact a business and I am all for diagnostics when appropriate. However, just because your horse is coming in last in every race, has always come in last in every races does not mean that he has a medical condition. Unless that condition is "wasnevergoingtoliveuptohisexpectationsitis". that was my not so important point.