Internet servers

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Ponythief, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Does anyone here have Hughesnet?

If so can I have your opinion on the pros and cons of this server.

I am on dial up and can not get highspeed through anyone else. I really need to free up my phone line and of course want to watch more youtubes and other video clips.

Thanks!

2. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

I had Starband for years (simular to Hughesnet & Wild Blue). Initially, I loved it. The thing you have to watch out for (that they slip into the fine print) is that they limit you bandwidth usage....if you go over your limit, you still pay the high speed $ but are stuck w/dial-up speed.....sucks! Between 2-18 yr olds doing what they do and my insomniac self (watching mare cam), we were pretty slow sometimes. Overall, I was pretty happy w/satelite ISP....just keep an eye on your bandwidth meter. ;)

3. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Me! I have hughsnet.

I do like it!

But as Morganfan said - they do restrict bandwidth. My son downloaded complete movies, cartoon shows........and KILLED the internet! It is infuriating! But I put the smack down on that! Remember, I only have 1 child doing that.

He is down to only downloading 1 per day...............so his momma doesn't FREAK!!!! :mad:

They do have plans where you can "purchase" more......................for a lot more $..............right! :p

But it really is a good service.

4. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

So if you use up all your bw does it reset back the next month? And if ya use it up it just makes your computer back to slow speed, but you still have internet accessability?

I have no clue what bw is :-

Yes I am computer illiterate :eek:

5. Tbitt

Resets after 24 hours............or at least that is what ours does.

6. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Hughesnet has different rate plans with option of Mbps and Kbps (what ever the heck that is)
    The plans are...
    Home with 1.0Mbps/128Kbps $59.99mo
    Pro with 1.2Mbps/200Kbps $69.99mo
    Pro plus 1.6Mbps/250Kbps $79.99mo
    The other plans are out of my budget limits

So can anyone shed light as to what is the best for the $ plan?

If you use Hughesnet did you lease the equipment or did you buy it?
    Leasing vs. buying it's about the same cost for the first 2 years. If you lease do they maintain the equipment if something breaks? I couldn't find anything on their site that stipulated either way.

Thanks for all the help and info!

7. Tbitt

We bought our equipment............

Really check into the lease vrs buy - I'm sure you have to PAY to have people out to 'service' it. They do not employ people - they hire subcontractors, in your area, to do the work.

So, I'm pretty sure you will be paying EVERY time the come to take a peek at it!

But definately look into that.

I am not sure which plan we have.............I'll check later tonight.

8. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I have WildBlue satellite internet which is through DirecTV. It's OK....I'd like to bump up the speed a bit and see how much diffrence it makes.

9. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Well Fudge, I went ahead and just called Hughesnet, and my computer is actually too old. It does not have the correct plug in. Yes it is older than 5yrs. :mad: :mad: :mad: So I guess before I can even upgrade to highspeed I have to upgrade to a new computer :mad: :mad:
    I think I will check into a newer "used" computer. And here I had my hopes up to keep this old thing and get a laptop for other things. Guess the laptop will have to wait. :mad:

10. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

We got rid of ALL our att crap back in Nov, and hubby talked me into getting an Internet Aircard from Verizon. I love it. Plus, if you have a laptop, you can connect ANYWHERE you take your laptop. I've never been able to NOT connect. Even used it on the trip back to Kansas. Hubby has an aircard from Sprint, and he can't get a signal from inside our house, but I have full bars.

We pay 59.99/mo for 5G of usage. I wasn't sure if it would fly with having the 3 kids downloading thier games, but I told them the first month we had it, to use it as much as they wanted, and we were still under what the allowed usage was.

I don't know what happens if you go over, but the agreement says that you will still get high speed, but you will pay more per gb downloaded.

11. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I have Hughesnet. Though it is better than dial up, it still sucks if you ask me! As the years have gone by, mine keeps getting slower and slower too. We had no choice when I got mine but to buy the equipment. I had it set up thru a local company in town that has cell phones, sets up satellite dishes, etc, rather than dealing with Hughesnet direct. I have never had to have any repairs. The place I got mine thru said if I have problems to call them, they will be here quicker and only charge to fix whatever, not a service charge which you get if you call hughesnet direct. Don't know if that is fact or not because I haven't had to call for repairs. I wish I had other options where I live but for now, that is it. I still remember living in town and getting cable! Now that was fast. I don't do any downloading either so I have never had any limitations or additional charges. I would hate to try a download of something, it would take freakin forever! I have the 7000S.

12. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Deb--Just a thought....You can go to verizon and try the aircard for 30 days, and if you don't like it, get out of the contract. Just an idea.