Just fantastic!

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by equusteacher, Jan 31, 2009.

1. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Gem has decided to try a new evasive tactic.
    She throws her head up high in the air (like an arabian on crack), gets all post legged and stiff (feels like riding a jack hammer) and attempt to go really fast.
    Doesn't matter what gait we are in, she did it at the walk, trot and canter today.
    Of course, she didn't get far with it and quickly realized that it didn't faze me, but it was not fun trying to ride through it all.
    Ahhh, youngsters. Gotta love em for trying. :D

2. burgie

burgie New Member

So...Gem totally called me earlier. I will sum up what she was trying to convey (since she knew I would understand).
    <ah hem>

I am trying to get you on board in my quest to find my true identity. I am clearly objecting to the western tack.
    Perhaps now you will heed heed request to do some jumping. In English tack.

With love,

Gem (as dictated to Burgie)

3. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

How is your saddle fit? My mare started doing her pez-dispenser impression when I was using a too-wide saddle.

4. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

:laugh: :laugh:

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Fits her like a glove. It's not a pain response, it's just that she's a kid and trying out new ideas to get out of work. :)

6. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Like she's saying "neener neener you can't do anything to me if I do thissss....." :D

7. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Exactly!
    Of course it doesn't work, and we just ride through it and get back on track.
    My way of saying neener neener neener right back LOL

8. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I just have to say this made me laugh.
    Gem sure has your number and loves to pull jokes on you. :nana:
    Get you all fired up for nothing. ;D
    She was in engligh tack!
    Silly, Silly girly.

9. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

What sort of bit are you using, and is she/has she ever engaged her hind end given her topline?

Does she do this on a lunge line (with side reins), or is it just under saddle?

Usually, when a horse does something like this, something in the hind to front connection has decided to malfunction -- so go through the entire chain: jaw, poll, neck, shoulder, back, loin, hind end and find the spot that's causing the chain reaction. If it's getting really bad, then I'd say put her on a lunge line and work out the problem, then go back to riding -- but another question would be how old is the horse?

10. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Jen, She's just comming 4. Was just started last summer/fall.
    She does go forward and soft/round most of the time.
    I use this bit: http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=0027802
    She is flexible and will step well under herself on lunge (with and with out sidereins actually) and under saddle.
    I palpated her back to be sure there are no sore areas, checked her teeth for points/burrs, double checked saddle fit, did some lateral movements fromthe ground to be sure it wasn't a sore joint/muscle issue, etc...
    Honestly, I think it's just a "baby thing", tossing out an idea to see if it gets her out of working.
    She'd do it in each gait once, maybe twice then give up and go soft again. If it persists then I'll have her checked by a professonal (vet/ chiropractor), but this is the first time she's tried it so I really think it's just a new evasive tactic.

11. JenR

Does she do it right at the moment of a transition, and if so a downward or upward one, or both? I've known a lot of young horses who get into the habit around transitions (because correct transitions are hard work, and who likes to work hard?). They come up, and especially at a transition are prone to it hurting, which makes them resist more, which causes more pain -- vicious circle ahoy. If that's the case, then go back to square one and re-emphasize going forward into the transitions, then going forward into the transitions while staying soft.

It's really hard suggesting anything, without seeing what's actually going on, but I think not making an issue of it is the right thing to do -- but yeah, you want to nip this little habit in the bud asap.

Only other thing I could think of is to check your seat -- you may need to lighten it up on this particular horse, and if it's happening around transitions especially then (and then I'd say you had a strength issue -- common in a 4 yo., so try doing some cavalletti and ground pole work to help build up her bridge).

Also, nope, don't think the bit would be the problem -- but check your connection to her mouth, just in case; sometimes we're doing things and not even that aware of it.

12. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

It seems to be during a gait.
    Like she'll be cruising along, steady steady then she'll lift her head, and start to pick up speed. The funny thing is, she doesn't break gait. If we're walking then she'll try this but maintain the walk just lift and go faster. Of course when the head lifts the back hollows. The ass end trails and we get all discombobulated.

It doesn't seem to be related to a transition. Her upward ones are getting quite lovely, we still need to work hard on our downs though.

If anything I"m thinking it may be me somewhat. This is by far the smoothest horse I've ever ridden! I have to work to post on her. But posting is a must. It helps her to go forward and step up as well as it's required for shows in hunter classes (if we ever get there) and sitting all the time isn't good for their back. Maybe I'm causing her to toss this out there while I'm trying to post to her nonexistent impulsion. :-

13. JenR

Since she's so smooth -- next time you ride her, check for two things:

you're getting ahead of her (leading her rhythm to try and get the impulsion)
    or
    you're sitting behind her (to get the impulsion) and sitting a bit too heavy on the down phase of the post

Both are pretty common problems for riders on young horses to fall into -- they aren't strong enough for a decent rhythm yet, and then it throws you off, which throws them off, yada yada -- their backs aren't strong enough yet to take shifts in weight, blah blah (you know what I'm talking about)

14. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Good possibility. I'll have to have someone watch me as I don't really feel it per se'.
    If anything I think I'm probably guilty of the former. Trying to be light in the seat I know I'm in a bit of a huntery (is that a word?) half seat so the getting ahead of her is probably spot on.

Thanks and I'll have to check myself when next I ride.

15. JenR

That's the one bad thing about really smooth gaited horses -- you don't feel the rhythm as well, and then you start getting into those sort of problems, and a young horse is all over the place anyway.

16. burgie

burgie New Member

Then I think the bigger concern is, not what is making her a pogo horse, but where the dishonesty stems from.
    Clearly she think that it is acceptable to be misleading and dishonest.

Ignore Jen's advice - don't lighten your seatbones at all.
    As a matter of fact, sit your ass on her - hard - and don't let her get up and till she done submitted to your authoritah!

17. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

LOL!
    She's sweet and all, but I have a strong feeling she's sit on ME if I tried this. :D

18. burgie

burgie New Member

This is what I was thinking of...

[​IMG]

yep, that'd do her some good....

19. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Baaahhhh! Where in the H did you find that?

20. burgie

burgie New Member