Keeneland sale

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by desederada, Jan 14, 2009.

1. desederada

desederada New Member

2. glf01

glf01 New Member

There is alot of non producing mares and not great pedigrees. This is a real gargage sale of sorts.

3. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

And yet the would be sale topper was bought back for $4.4 million because she didn't bring enough ::). Michael Paulsen is NUTS.

4. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Nuts, but a gazilionaire ;). He didn't need to sell. When Better Than Honour brought 14 million in Nov the "buyers" had already owned 70% of her, so they were just buying the partnership out.

5. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

yeah...a gazilionaire thanks to Daddy :eek:. I don't like the guy....however since the horses are collateral on some bank loans you know they were just "testing" the market - just like the September buy back on the yearling for 7 million.

The Better Than Honour deal is a joke. Now she is a record setting sale mare too ::)

6. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

7. desederada

desederada New Member

Keeneland Gross Down 4th Consecutive Day
    by Deirdre B. Biles
    Date Posted: 1/15/2009 7:27:27 PM
    Last Updated: 1/15/2009 7:34:47 PM

Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt
    A Street Cry yearling filly was the only horse to bring a six-figure amount as the gross revenue, average price, and median price dropped dramatically for the fourth consecutive day at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale in Lexington. Compared to a year ago, the gross and average for the Jan. 15 session each declined 48.8% while the median fell 60.0%.

"There's no sugar-coating the fact that it's tough," said Kitty Taylor of Warrendale Sales. "People are losing many, and everybody's waiting to see what is going to happen in the next six or seven months. In Book 1 (of the auction's catalog), we did pretty well with a handful of horses, and they carried the others that didn't do so well. But at one point today, we came up here with a horse and there weren't 10 people back here (in the rear of the sale pavilion). But if you bring the right one up here, they (the buyers) are still going to pay for it."

The 239 horses that sold grossed $3,442,600 and averaged $14,404. The median was $8,000. Last year, when the same number of horses was sold, the gross was $6,725,800 and the average was $28,141. The median was $20,000.

The buy-back/no bid rate fell from 21.6% last year to 19.3% this year.

8. glf01

glf01 New Member

You don't have to keep telling us the market is down look around everything is down. Azeri was for sale but didn't reach her reserve it sounded like her reserve was 5 mil. But the son is a bit of a nut job. The colt out of azeri that was bought back in Sept. was there pet. They lived at the farm while they waited for the arrival of the foal. They must have drove that farm help crazy. It was strange that she foaled in the afternoon probably because the foaling people had the vet induce her just to get them out of there. The now 2yo colt is currently being prepped for the 2yo in training sale in FL in the spring. Paulson's TB world will crash around him eventually. I'm having a feeling that Azeri was used as bait to get a loan on her. It's not uncommon for horses of her caliber not sell at auction they were only run through the ring to establish value and then a bank will get you a loan ans use her as collateral. He might have used it to pay some other things. But the commission for Keeneland and the consignor just on the yearling was about 770,000 and for Azeri 440,000 now that's a nice days work.
    If you think it's bad now wait till tomorrow and Fasig in February.

9. desederada

desederada New Member

Again, :th_flipoff: I'm not personally addressing you nor am I trying to keep you informed. Maybe there are a few people on here that just may be interested.Do you find it necessary to stalk me and follow up with some smart ass comment everytime. Get over it. If you aren't stalking me you might actually read some of the other information on the board.

10. glf01

glf01 New Member

No I'm Not Stalking YOU. We just happened to be in the same business. But most people on this form don't really follow racing closely. I just happen to comment on your posts because frankly you are not up to date on the midwest part of the country and you seem to come across as knowing alot and sometimes some of us like to add to your comments as we have every right too. I currently have horses on the track and I'm very involved with the sales. If you don't like my smart a** comments then write something smart!!!!!!!!

11. desederada

desederada New Member

Must be the sugar buzz.

12. glf01

glf01 New Member

Hey I have had enough of your expert anaylsis of things when you finally figure out that everyone is entitled to there opinion.When people don't agree with what you write you are quick to correct or insist you know best. I understand you are involved with racing in your own way but people like me who deal every day with the ins & outs, ups & downs of the constant everyday things that go on with our race horses because it is our life.

13. desederada

desederada New Member

Well I'm glad you've had enough of my expert analysis. BTW, we do this for a living. We don't have a day job and we don't live off of daddy's inheritance.

14. glf01

glf01 New Member

I guess we have more in common then you think I do have a day job it's called stall groom of 7 head, sometimes vet ( when needed), trainer, owner, feed supplier well that falls under groom too, bloodstock agent , sale research and breeding updates, also raising a teenage son, chauffeur doing all this while my husband is doing his job currently at Oaklawn. My parents were divorced and have passed away 9 and 6 years ago. They were stone broke when they died the only thing that had value when dad died was an RV that his new wife got. So there was no fancy inheritance I don't know where you got that idea from, as a matter of fact we had to sell moms things when she died to cover the funeral expenses. So I work hard for what I have I try and make the horses pay for themselves so when we win a race that horse is helping to feed his brothers and sisters. I hope I answered your question.

15. desederada

desederada New Member

I don't know where you got the idea I was saying you were given an inheritance ??? I was simply stating that we are NOT supported by outside means so if we don't play the business well we don't eat. I never needed to or wanted to know your life story.

16. glf01

glf01 New Member

Hey then when you make a statement please learn to phrase it so it doesn't come across as a stab at ones heart. Look obivously you are looking for a fight well are you not going to get one from me. You and I don't see eye to eye we were brought up in the racing industry by different teachers.
    I'm sorry you could care less about anyone who lives north of the florida line.

17. desederada

desederada New Member

I love my Midwest friends.