Kitty litter and the great outdoors

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by lori, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

OK, so my cats are in a safe room out at the farm... There is regular garbage pickup, but there's also horse manure waiting to be spread. DW thinks the used kitty litter can go in with the horse poop. This bothers me a little--I don't know a thing about what's in the kitty litter. (Besides cat poo!) I was thinking about this... I know they make all kinds of organic kitty litter--but I don't feel like paying a ton for wheat or cracked corn or pine pellets... Does anyone know if the horse pellet bedding is anything like the kitty litter pine pellet litter? They kind of look similiar. I'm curious to just try it in one of their litterboxes... will it fluff up with kitty use? Wonder what the cats will think of that?

2. Susan

Susan New Member

I use the Gaurdian pellets in my stalls and wet them down to fluff them up. I suppose you could use them in a litter box, but they are fairly large pellets and the cats might not want to "dig" in them unless you wet it and fluff it before hand. My barn cats like the stall bedding to go in and given a choice, use the fluffed stuff before the harder pellets on the edge that didn't fluff as well and while poo might be easy to pick out, pee would just be a mess. Prissy uses "regular clay litter" in her box. I thought of changing to a clumping litter for easier pick out if she stays longer. I prefer to bag it and toss it in the regular garbage when it needs to be pitched - I wouldn't put litter out to be spread with the horse manure as it wouldn't break down.

3. 4horses

4horses New Member

I used to use clay litter but have always hated the stuff with a passion. I started using a pine pellet cat litter from Petsmart but I have three indoor cats so went through it like crazy and it was crazy expensive so I changed to the horse pine pellets from Farm N Fleet. Wayyy cheaper, cats took to it after they got used to climbing through bigger pellets. It rarely gets spread on the carpet when they jump out of the litterbox like other litters do. Works great, try it. Definately more economical and better for your cats repiratory health.

4. pinp

pinp New Member

They also have cedar and corn cob based kitty litters... I'd look into thooose..

5. 56hooves

56hooves Senior Member

Stall Dry for horses works great for kitty litter also. A representative once told me that they actually make kitty litter in a smaller bag, but it is the same. Therefore, I buy the big bag of Stall Dry and it is easy to sift. Sabella Rush