Kudos to S. Cal. horsemen, finally

Discussion in 'The Winners Circle' started by photofinish, Jan 8, 2009.

1. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

Interesting article in the Blood Horse. Looks like trainers are finally speaking out publicly about the multitude of problems with the synthetic track surfaces. It's about damn time, IMO. Seems like the racing industry trotted out synthetics as the new "savior" and when they weren't, we refused to admit that "the emperor has no clothes". I'd post the link, but I'm too computer illiterate to do that.

2. desederada

desederada New Member

Has to be better than the deep sand at Tampa with the new shoe limitations. They had 7 horses hauled off the track all ready and lots more that couldn't walk the next day us included. Try running in slick shoes on beach sand. Horses don't breakdown because they are getting traction they breakdown because they are slipping.

3. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

We,ve run in deep sand in Chicago @ Hawthorne and once-upon-a-time Sportsman's for years, you have to train differently and pay lots of attention to rear ends. Try outter rims. They will clear the toe grab rules. On the polytracks in CA lots of trainers have resorted to bare foot behind or all 4.

4. desederada

desederada New Member

Nope,no outer rims only queens plates or Queens plates XT.We had outer rims on our filly that broke down and they made us take them off. We've resorted to using city head nails and we're waiting for them to say we can't use them either. The difference in the sand at Tampa and at those other tracks is that at Tampa the sand is beach sand. Beach sand is round vs. washcon which is an angular sand.

5. glf01

glf01 New Member

Well lets look at Tampa's stock most are horses that have been running all spring summer and fall and end up at tampa for the winter because it's warm. I have been watching races from Tampa and I have seen horses that were running for 5,000 in chicago and are now running for 10,000-15,000 in tampa so if they have any heart they will try and due to running out of there league they break down. Plus a trainer from chicago that had a quiet summer and now he's as hot as a fire cracker the last few days at Tampa his name is Mike Dini. He is not a fancy trainer does things pretty casualy.
    I have not seen any break downs the last few days at Tampa. If you want to question a surface look at Turfway Park they have had more break downs and now are being investigated by Dr mary from Florida.
    Polycrap oops polytrack is just what it is junk. We train on it at Arlington and you can keep it. I had a horse this summer get an abcess that developed into something big because the vet and farrier couldn't even fix it. That stuff gets into their feet and breaks them apart.Plus makes horses so sore behind and their backs . Plus think about it here they train and run on the regular dirt track then go over to arlington for the poly and dirt if they train on the training track then go back to dirt for hawthorne. It totally abuses their body. I would not claim a horse after the first month of racing at Arlington I claimed one last year and if they have any problems with soreness they don't recover that quickly.
    Synthetic tracks are not the answer

6. desederada

desederada New Member

ALOT of the horses that are racing at Tampa have been racing up in class all year and they come to FL and drop them down in class. Whatever happen to plain ole dirt dracks :D Dini's one of those that has dropped horses way down too.

7. Mstar

Mstar New Member

I've been lucky to ride pony horses out at Fair Hill, where we have both dirt AND synthetic(Tapeta). It's been intersting to compare the two side by side. The most interesting thing is that the pony horses actually preferred the Tapeta track. Even though the path to that track was much farther, the ponies would almost argue about going to the dirt. Another interesting thing was how much sounder they felt on the Tapeta, even when they were sore. I wonder if that might have an influence on synthetic breakdowns-the horses feel better than they really are and small problems that would have been detected on dirt go unnoticed and turn into big problems. The other thing I noted was the amount of pulled shoes on the synthetic. I don't know if they were just easier to see or what, but there was tons of them out there. Alot more research needs to be done before they just jump into mandating synthetics. It needs to be more than just a quick fix.

8. desederada

desederada New Member

The biggest problem is that most of those making the decisions aren't horsemen anyways.

9. glf01

glf01 New Member

I'm predicting that in a few years track owners are going to regret jumping on the "fake" track bandwagon but it will take a little longer before they pull that junk up and go back to dirt.
    On the shoe issue the synthetic is hard on their feet and will eat the pads out from underneath the shoes. After it gets hot outside you will notice that saddles slip more due to the track working it's way into the material on the saddle cloths.