Lean-to horses?

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by lori, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

What are you doing with your lean-to horses in temperatures this cold? 3 sided shelter but otherwise not much in the way of windbreaks... no tree lines, etc. Plenty of chub and hair. No blankets put on them yet, have blankets but not hoods.

I'm thinking about sticking them in the barn aisle. No more or less safe than in a stall. I think really it will be unnecessary, but this way I won't be wondering about whether I made the right decision by leaving them out. DW is really fretting, he agrees sticking them in the barn is easy but yet he is still being rather OCD about it.

2. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Does the shelter block the wind? If so and you have more then one horse out there I would put on a blanket or even two and let them huddle together.

Mine are in stalls and blanketed but they are spoiled rotten.

3. lori

lori New Member

It depends, it blocks the wind 90% of the time but if it comes out of the 1 direction, no it doesn't block, and no he didn't fix the fence so they could go behind. If the wind does end up coming from that direction, they are definitely coming in. But otherwise, hmm...

4. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

IF I didnt have the prego mare and the skinny mare the FAT mare would be outside. I cant feed grain on the fence because the FAT mare would just get FATTER. So I have to bring them in to feed and there they stay when its "friggin" cold. Otherwise i toss their rear ends back outside to save $$ on shavings

5. PT

PT New Member

Honestly, I'd bring them in if I where you guys. It's going to be bbaaaaddd.

I'm kinda freaking too. It's supposed to get to -15 and a -32 windchill tonight where my girls are. I just called and asked my BO to switch my two (the yearling has rhe stall right by the door) and put my girls blanket on. With her blanket on, my girl should be fine, and with the baby in the middle of the barn, she should be fine too.

6. lori

lori New Member

ROFL, Poods moved me. I fail mod school!

I want you to notice though, the logic at work. Posts about a lean-to... in the loafing shed. TOTALLY logical.

7. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Pood's is our Moving queen! Ever notice? LOL

I'd bring them in. If the lean to is not big enough to house all then be safe, put them in. What happens if one gets a bug up their butts and wants one or two OUT?!?! :'(

bty - mine were all brought into the arena last night.......... :th_fluffbunny:

8. JZ

JZ New Member

I have a few horses that don't have stalls, and we do end up setting up temporary quarters for them a couple times a year, basically, when it gets like it is supposed to tonight. Everyone else has a stall and uses it, but these guys really dislike coming in. We feel better knowing they're inside, so we set up pens for them.

9. jjones

jjones New Member

Lori, Mine are out 24/7 with access to stalls and today I Closed them all in the barn because it's suppose to be really bad... But they would probably be ok with blankets on in the lean-to... I thought about leaving 2 that are really hairy and never get cold out with blankets on with the lean-to but was just scared because the news tends to scare us all about the weather..........

10. Stacey

Stacey New Member

Mine live outside 24/7/365. They have a large leanto.
    One is almost 27, the other is 20. I did put blankets on last night and made sure there were piles of hay (like double the normal amount). They survived quite well as I'm sure they will tonight as well

11. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Mine will be staying outside. No blankets. Amazingly they seem to survive every year... only thing I do is feed extra hay in the lean too

12. jjones

jjones New Member

I think horses are way more hearty than us owners.... ;)

13. lori

lori New Member

It is 12x24 and only 2. I suppose it is possible one might want to keep the other out, though that'd be a lot of work. They eat in there together OK. Well, and by OK, I mean, Sassy eats her food and then moves Jet off, but Jet really doesn't even need grain so we cut Sassy's food accordingly and let her think she's getting away with something.

He's fretting over frostbite... thehorse.com says "unlikely" since they are healthy but there are other articles online that say they can frostbite. Ears are au natural here unless they have tufts like a Grandpa and then we clip the tufts, but they are far from bare. And then he's fretting over that we just shouldn't rely on the lean-to for housing at all, but for 1 day a year they can sleep in the barn aisle. Both have hundreds of years of sleeping tied to a trailer overnight so I think they can deal.

If it were me, I'd be all lean-tos and maybe enough space for 1-2 stalls inside that I'd only use on special occasions.

14. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Even a small lean to will give protection from the wind. Unless there are too many horses per lean to.

There are lots of people who dont have more than a lean to. Their horses do just fine as long as they have water, extra hay (during super duper low temps) and are worm free ;)

15. sandburs

sandburs New Member

Same here.
    The ones with the run-in, stay out all the time, they just get extra hay, actually we just pushed in a round bale today. The ponies don't even use their shelter, ever!! And they are all healthy. the only ones that come in are my daughters show mare who she has been working and blanketing so not so fuzzy, and the weanling pony who is just now starting to get fat and sassy!! They don't need even a lean to technically. Horses survive quite well without anything in the wild. ;) As long as they are healthy and in good weight, wouldn't worry about it. The only time we really "make" every one stay inside is in the freezing rain, until it quits and then they are free to come and go again!

16. BUC

BUC Administrator

Ditto Ditto Ditto

I about got killed this afternoon feeding. It's cold, windy and their feeling their oats. They were running around like a couple of idiots on crack. If you have a healthy horses that have been out all along they will survive just fine.

17. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Put them in for your peace of mind. They would probably be fine, but if it's bugging you, get them inside.

18. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

Mine are out with a round bale if it is raining and cold I will throw a flake of hay each in their stalls which they have access to 24/7 ... it blocks the wind that is about it.

BUC my 4yo(I almost said 3yo) was feeling GOOD today too

19. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I cant help but feel sorry for the heavy coated horses..
    whose owners feel that the horses need to be locked in stalls during cold weather.

I have watched my horses... standing next to the barn..
    which blocks the wind...

AND their run in stall door is wide open!

They would be too warm if they went indoors, so they opt to
    stay outside.

20. morapt

morapt New Member

I have 3 that are out 24/7 and 3 that are in stalls. Actually the 2 colts are sharing right now next to "dad" and the ladies are all outside. I feed extra hay and make sure the water tank is full and everyone is happy. The ones inside are harder because we don't have heated buckets and have no way to put any up right now. So we have to check their water more.