Leverage bits

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by equusteacher, Feb 22, 2009.

1. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

What is your favorite?
    Why?
    What discipline do you ride?
    Post a picture please.

**just wanting to start a general discussion topic** :)

2. desederada

desederada New Member

Don't have any if I need some leverage I use a German Martingale. I'm also not showing anything western.

3. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

If I need it I like a pelham with a bead in the middle.
    I ride hunters and jumpers.
    I like it because of the two-reins... keep the second rein loose, so if you don't need leverage, you use the snaffle rein only, and if you need the leverage you have it as a back up.

But I only like it in capable hands. And I HATE converter straps.

And I'm too lazy to find a picture. :)

4. Joie

Joie New Member

What Des said...

Actually, I only have a handful of bits...a Sprenger loose ring french link bit that about everyone goes in, a generic aurigan loose ring snaffle, a few basic french link snaffles. I have maybe 5 bits, total. Oh, and Holly came with a full cheek snaffle that I hate and so does she so I don't really count that, but technically, I have one. It could be because I'm stupid but I never did understand what the goal was with that bit. She goes beautifully in a basic french link.
    Anyway, I ride everyone in a simple, mild snaffle. Even the "crazy off-track" stallions. I will occasionally use a german martingale, too. I like it because I can adjust the leverage, and start out with it set so the horse doesn't even know it's there.

5. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Straight mouth pelham with a short shank, preferably with a rubber mouthpiece (or if I don't have a rubber mouthpiece one, wrapping a metal one in Sealtex). I like it on some, older horses who need a bit more than a simple snaffle over fences or cross country. The leverage is there if you need it, but only if you need it (no rein converters -- that defeats the purpose of having a pelham imho) and I've had good luck with horses really accepting and liking it. I don't think a leverage bit should be on a horse that doesn't already know how to work in a snaffle, but I'd rather put that on a horse than a snaffle with a harsh mouthpiece in it or putting a martingale on.

For a double bridle I like a low port curb with a short shank, medium thickness of the mouth -- that seems to work the best with most horses. I don't do western, but I know the bits Jessica uses -- an argentine snaffle with a barrel center and a medium port curb with a copper roller -- both would be about a medium/short shank and the shanks aren't straight.

6. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

This is the the harshest one I have............I really don't completely consider it a a gag bit - becuase it does have a "stopper" - but there is play that way...
    Myler 3-Ring Combination Bit

[​IMG]

I use it on my yellow mare - who is kind of a strong headed HOT little gal...........

I put the reins on the bottom ring for her....... >:D

If I rode her more - she'd get a lesser bit - but.......I don't ride her as much so I switch to this one when she is "fresh".

For my TW (and the above mentioned yellow mare when she is good) I use a jointed Pelham, I only use one rein.......and that is on the shank ring. When he is good he has all the reins when he is bad - I have them! >:D

[​IMG]

The rest get ridden with a plain ol, cheap, snaffle.
    I don't think our paint has seen anything but........... *!*!*!*

7. lori

lori New Member

Hey Tbitt. We have the first bit, the Myler, and I also have it with a port. It's nice because it doesn't just work off the bars of their mouth. I like those A LOT. We have a couple more of their snaffles, but bf is really a hackamore guy.

One of the pet stores here has 30% off most Myler bits... I'm thinking about adding a few more. Not necessarily because I think they are magic, but they are always quality--pinch free, well engineered, good materials, etc.

8. Tbitt

Me personally - I'm not a fan of the ports...........

I'd definately need more trainning before I'd ever put in in my horses' mouth. But that is just me.

I do like the 3 ring Mylar. It does have a bit of "bite" to it if I need. ie the higher purchase and the lower rings on the shank.
    And if not needed - I can just let go of the riens and whalla - my baby has a happy mouth..............But when she is being bad - I have the pole AND the nose to hold her with........... >:D

9. lori

lori New Member

Ports don't always mean they're contacting the roof of the mouth. Sometimes it's just tongue relief. But it can also depend on the individual horse's mouth conformation.

10. MelW

MelW New Member

I ride is a copper french link, but for driving... [​IMG]The port is actually low, she loves the copper rollers, and its usually on the first slot...middle if she is being a twat. And the curb is very loose...

11. Tbitt

All right MelW - your picture did not come through........... :'(

12. Tbitt

If you were ridding one of mine they would............... >:D :laugh: :-

13. MelW

MelW New Member

ummm i can see it...

14. syndiego

syndiego New Member

I believe alot of endurance riders like this bit. My usual bit for Syndiego is a Kimberwicke, which is generally fine, except when's he's in condition and in an actual ride - then I don't feel I have enough brakes - especially when other horses are leaving him, and I want to rate him.

Sooooo, I've actually considered switching to this bit. Do you think that would be too drastic a change? And dumb question, what actually activates the hackamore piece?

Could you expand on what you mean by a "gag" bit - don't really understand that term.

15. PT

PT New Member

Just started using this one and am quite smitten with it. Mine came with rubber bit guards. I only use three peice mouths.

Sherry Cervi Diamond Lifter Short Shank, large twist
    [​IMG]

16. Tbitt

[​IMG]

The nose piece is wrapped in rawhide, and kept in place with knots.

It is laced through holes on the purchase, and then connected under the jaw as a curb strap. When you pull on the reins it tilts the shanks back, which pulls the purchase forward (pressure on the pole) this causes the curb strap to be pulled tighter against the jaw - which puts pressure on the nose.

Depending on where you put the reins - you will have a lot of force or not as much. But there will always be some force, when you pull on the reins, because this bit does have some purchase to it!

I love knowing how things work on my horses - that way I am not tearing the hell out of their faces without know it ;) ! I think my horses thank me for it! *!*!*!*

17. Tbitt

Oh to answer this question:

It all depends on your horse.

If you have pretty steady hands, and use them for a purpose - I think this is fine. I have no clue what I'm doing :nana: and my horse responded will with it......

But your horse could just HATE the feeling of it and nothing will matter...........

Borrow one and see how it goes..........

18. middleageddebutante

middleageddebutante New Member

This is my favorite type of bit I have this type of bit (different manufacturer though) in a short, medium and long shank. All with the three piece mouth piece. I also have one with no gag.

19. PT

PT New Member

Lori, bring yours on the camping trip! I've been wanting to try one of these on my horse for some time now but am through shelling out over $100 for bits I never use again :D

20. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

I just switched Ld. William to a rubber mullen mouth 3-ring. I ride on the second ring. It gets him to let go of his neck a lot easier than with the rubber nathe I was riding in before.