Lil' Weather Vent

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by WindyKnollFarm, Jan 15, 2009.

1. WindyKnollFarm

WindyKnollFarm New Member

OMG!!! Our classes ARE NOT cancelled today!!! It is flipping 10 degrees BELOW zero (with a wind chill on top of that) and they expect elementary aged kids to WALK to flipping school???????!!!!!!! I can not believe this!! The powers that be are putting all of the kids AND the staff at risk!!

When I went out to feed, the only thing uncovered were my eyes and I thought that they were going to freeze in their sockets!! INSANE.

And WHY are classes NOT cancelled? Because the high school has finals....okay....so cancel classes for everyone else.. OR...and here's an insane idea....cancel the stinking 1/2 day of finals and give the kids their final classroom grade. Is this a huge duh...or am I missing something?

2. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

That is just wrong!!

DeKalb dist cancelled last night. Around 8:30pm I got 2 automated phone calls and an email telling me this.

3. WindyKnollFarm

I will be in a royal snit by the time I actually get to work....I'm already planning on being late. :-

4. NutsEmom

NutsEmom New Member

My school related weather vent is that my husband works as a second shift custodian for a school. When school is called off, that only applies to teachers and students. The custodial and office staff are still expected to come in. Are their lives worth less than the teachers? The roads yesterday were dangerous, but he was expected to be there at 7 am. He's usually still asleep at 7 am since he gets home close to midnight! Why the rush to get him in there? No one is coming in, and all events are cancelled. And again today, he had to get up and go in early. It's not bad enough that the road we live on isn't plowed until later, but they mess with a person's sleep schedule too, and we're talking one nervous wife here!

OK, rant over.....until the next time school's called off for weather.

5. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

I hear ya nutsE. My kids, AND the kids at the high school that I work at are all at home today. Yet, here I sit at my desk in the Guidance Dept, twiddling my thumbs, cause there's nothing to do. You want some Guidance? GO HOME!!!! It's f'in cold!!!

This is crazy, but if I didn't come in, I'd have to take one of my vacation days. :mad: The roads to work are totally clear, but even on days when the road are treacherous, they expect certain office personnel to report to work. Kinda feel like they're saying, "we don't want anything to happen to the students, and MOST of the staff, but YOU go ahead and risk your life, so that you can sit here all day and pick your nose."

MY rant over....thanks!! ;)

6. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

When I was a kid, we rarely had days off for the weather. We just looked like giant rolls of bubble wrap when we walked to school and it took the first half hour of class,just to get the layers off.

7. WindyKnollFarm

YES! That exactly how I feel.....so I went in and started doing whatever I could to prep for the students coming in 2 hours later. Low and behold, we had NO phone service at our building!! So in case of an emergency, we could not have called to report anything! And of all days for me to forget my (personal) cell phone at home. Finally at 8AM, school was cancelled. Not being able to call out, I couldn't call my small staff and tell them, so my cook showed up and then I borrowed a cell to call everyone else. We cleaned up what I had started and I took her out to breakfast, came back to the building, still no phones. Waited for a delivery, put it away and came home. <big sigh>

Off tomorrow for teacher in-service, and off Monday for MLK day. It'll be a good long week-end. ;)

Mass- in these days of widespread litigation- school's don't dare put kids lives at risk- parent's would be up-in-arms! :- ;)

I kept watching the temp, and instead of rising, it is slowing falling here. -10 earlier, but by the time I got to work, it was -16. Predicted -25 later today. When the media is cautioning people to not go out unless they absolutely have to, how can parents feel that they should send their kids to school?

Take care, everyone!!

8. cherokee

cherokee New Member

Freeport also had finals today and they CANCLED school.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Damn when I was in school in the 70's we had school no matter what----- what the hell is with all the time off these kids get nowadays? They always seem to be having days off? I don't remember days off for weather or parent teacher or any of this other stuff.

10. WindyKnollFarm

Teacher's unions are strong.

11. cherokee

cherokee New Member

I remember being on a bus in many many snow storms going down gravel roads that
    you could only tell where the road was because the driver kept the bus between
    the built up snow banks from the plows, only to be ten minutes from school and
    it come over the radio that orangeville is closed today. they used to do this all the time.
    I can't begin to count how many bus's ended up stuck in a drift and the firedepartment
    or parents with snowmobiles called in to get kids home. My daughter is taken
    to a diffrent school district every morning. when her home school is closed and her
    school isn't she STAYS home.

12. cherokee

cherokee New Member

oh and even when school wasn't closed we would get off the bus be ushered into
    a classroom headcounted then taken back out put on the bus and taken home.