Lunge Line work

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by Angien, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Angien

Angien New Member

Hey everyone. I have a question.
    During my lunge line lesson I get very sore in the upper area of the crotch.
    For this lesson we post for 10 strides walk 10 strides all the way down to 1 and back up again.
    Is is possible I am not putting my weight in the proper "area?'
    I do not use the reins they lay on his neck and I have not used the grab strap on the saddle either.

2. burgie

burgie New Member

I would guess that you are tight through your inner thigh, not truly in your seat, and slightly forward with your shoulders.

3. Angien

Angien New Member

How would you advise a student if they were indeed riding that way?

4. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Sounds like ou are hollowing your back and tipping your pelvis forward.

You have to "tuck" your seat under more, soften your inner thigh (visualize pointing your hip points outward at a slightly open angle), Think about your seat bones "plugging in" to your horses long back muscles and sit up very tall (lift your rib cage) with a soft/flexible lower back.
    Should take the pressure off your pubic area and help you sit more correctly on your seat bones.

5. Angien

Angien New Member

so basically I need to push my boobs out, shoulders back and put my rear end further underneath me?

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

rear end underneath you yes. boobs out/shoulder back...to some degree. just be careful this doesn't stiffen your back and make it hollow.

7. burgie

burgie New Member

If you had to think of your spine/tailbone as a letter it should be a j. Tuck your tailbone under (toward the pommel). The wrong way would be for your tailbone to make a q (also known as duck butt).

8. desederada

desederada New Member

Try lifting your legs off of the sides of the horse as a warmup exercise with and without stirrups because it works a different area. This can be incredibly hard if you've never done it before. Make sure you are not changing your seat as you are doing the exercise.

9. Angien

Angien New Member

Des I will have to aks her about that exercise as I am recieving lessons from her on her horse.
    Sounds like I have alot to do to get me "seat" back after being "off" for about 4 years.

10. burgie

burgie New Member

Perhaps if you stay forward on your pelvis you can have a "PT moment".
    WOOHOO!

11. Angien

Angien New Member

No I really do not need one of "those" moments. Thanks anyway... *!*!*!*

I will try to watch my positioning tonite and report tomorrow.

12. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

OOOH! Froggy legs! LOVE this excercise!
    That and swivel hips at the posting trot! Great for loosening up your pelvis/lowerback and for being sure you can keep your lower leg steady.

13. PT

PT New Member

:p

Nothing to complain about then, right?!?! >:D

While on the lunge line, try holding a crop or cut off broom handle behind your back with your elbows. It'll teach you to stay upright and in your seat. Trust me, it worked on me!

14. Angien

Angien New Member

I must have sat better as I am not sore today.
    I took the advise and sat like a j and was able to look a few times in the mirror.

15. desederada

desederada New Member

I gotta say while I wouldn't mind the crop so much the broom handle seems like a good way to break your back if you would happen to have an accident happen while doing this. I would not attempt it EVER.

16. PT

PT New Member

Broom handle was done to me. Guess it shows how much my trainer really loved me... :( :laugh:

17. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

OY.. the dreaded broom handle!

I've had 2 different trainers do this to me.
    One was over fences too (albeit small X's but still) and the other was a German born/bred dressage trainer!

It wasn't so bad. The biggest issue is again, NOT to hollow your back and get stiff.

18. desederada

desederada New Member

I think that's just crazy :eek:

19. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Ah, the whip behind the back -- it's a pretty old school excercise.

Another thing to try is taking one arm up and off to the side, and above your head, then the other, then both at all three gaits (you work up to both hands over your head at the canter). It helps to roll your shoulders back and align your body. Comine it with windmills and putting your arms out and reaching head to tail alternating arms (sorry if this is confusing, it's hard to describe w/o pics). Loosens up your waist, upper body.

I second taking your thighs up off the saddle, when you do this, be thinking about loosening your hips and thighs up. Helps you to really find your seat. Another excercise is to "scissor" your legs and combine it with the "froggy legs" (good one, never heard it called that, but it's a good description!). Some other excercises are taking your heel back to touch your thigh (don't try to go all the way at first, just as much as is comfortable and work up to it), and pulling your knees up into a "jockey" position -- those combine well with the "froggy legs" -- pay close attention to the feel of your seat bones on the saddle.