Martingales

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by STARSKI, Feb 27, 2009.

1. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Ok, here's my dilema. Star has started dropping her head real low, doing "bunny hops", and tossing her head a bit when I ask her to canter. I don't think it's the bit because she is perfectly fine at a walk and trot. She only does this when I ask her to canter. Do you think that we'd benefit from using a martingale? And if so, what kind?

2. PT

PT New Member

Gonna sound like everyone else now, but I actually think this really sounds like a pain issue, start with her back. How long has been at it? Maybe she's in season and cramping a bit...?

If she's throwing her head down, then up, a martingale won't help much. Which type where you thinking of?

3. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

I forgot to add that she's also been swishing her tail and flicking it.
    Hmm..if it were due to pain, don't you think she'd be resistant even at a trot? This has been going on maybe for about a month. I only ride about one to two times a week. And she's been doing the tail swushing every ride even at a walk sometimes. This is the first time I've ever had these issues with her. I DID switch the bit from the kimberwick to a plain snaffle. But the bit doesn't appear to be pinching, and I've used that same bit before with no problems.

4. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Sounds pain related to me too.
    And no, a martingale will not help in this instance.

Evaluate her back, neck, joints, saddle fit, balance on the lunge and at liberty while cantering etc...

5. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Yesterday I just hopped on her bareback and mostly walked. So I don't think it's a saddle fit issue. I will have to take another good look at her tomorrow. I lunged her Wednesday night for about a half hour and didn't notice anything off.

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I don't understand how walking her around bareback correlates to your conclusion it's not saddle fit related?

7. whoaboy

whoaboy Senior Member

I have one that does this and it is not pain related, rather him showing his displeasure at being asked to work. At one point in his career, he took to doing a transition to canter buck. When he found out how effective this was, he did it all the more. I had a trainer come out and he showed me how to keep his head up and keep him moving. He "plained" out and with enough repetitions every darn day, he finally gave that up for the most part. He does on occasion bring it back into play but he still does lots of tail swishing when being asked to do about anything. This boy is lazy and resists work. (hum, sounds like some people I know)

8. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

I mostly walked and she did the tail swishing. I cantered her and she did the bunny hopping. I was saying that I don't think it's a saddle fit issue because I wasn't using a saddle. Also, I've been using the same saddle on her for 9 years.

9. mrponies

mrponies New Member

I would agree pain, too. But you know her better than the rest of us.

How are her hocks? What's her age? A lot of her symptoms reminded me of when my hubby's gelding started fusing.

Could she be arena sour?

10. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Fair enough and I can see where you'd draw that conclusion.
    However, just because she wasn't wearing a saddle then does not negate the possibility that her back is sore from wearing an improper fitting saddle.

Again, I'm not saying it IS poor saddle fit. Just trying to get you to see that you shouldn't rule it out at this point.
    Example: I have known horses with developing ulcers to give pain type responses when being ridden much like you describe.

It does seem, based on what little info we have, to be a pain response.
    Which goes back to having her throughly checked by a qualified professional(s).

If everything checks out, then I'd go with door #2 and treat it as a training issue (ie: arena sour/ developed bad habit etc)

11. middleageddebutante

middleageddebutante New Member

No on thinking she would show pain signs trotting too.

You say you only ride 1 to 2 times per week. Does she get turned out? Is she fat and hairy from winter? She could be just feeling sassy or your equipment might be fitting differently because of the fat/out of shape/hairy winter condition.

12. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Star gets turned out everyday. She is not super hairy and her coat lays pretty flat bc she's blanketed. She is not fat at all. I rode Sunday at only a walk (bc I still felt icky, getting over the flu) and she didn't do the tail flicking. The vet is coming out to the barn in a few weeks. I will have him look her over. I think she might just be being sassy or getting bored in the arena. But I'll have her looked at just to be sure.

13. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

Willie would throw his head around when asked for the right lead canter. We assumed it was mouth related. When the vet came out, he adjusted his back. His pelvis was majorly out. Once adjusted, Willie stopped tossing his head to the right.

14. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

There could just be sooo many things causing this.. don't rule anything out... Mischief was canter/bucking for quite some time.. she would walk/trot just fine. I had to systematically change everything! New bit fit for her small mouth.. custom saddle and pad.. new custom girth.. chiro work(also my vet).. I probably spent WAAAAY over $5k trying to figure out why she canter/bucked...

I was told she was testing me.. and was just trying to get out of work.. but I know her.. she gets excited to see me with her halter and will shove her head in it.. she is a worker, so there was no way she was trying to evade me...

To this day.. I have no clue why she did it.. I have a sneaky suspicion that it was her saddle and my weight.. Mischief was sooo hard to fit.. Now she will canter beautifully..

Good Luck!

15. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Ok, I have an update. I rode Star today for 45 minutes. She was excellent. Like a completely different horse from the last month. None of the bucking, tail swishing, head tossing. I think she may have been in a really bad heat. But I will still have the vet look her over. He will be out in a couple weeks anyway.