Milking the Cash Cow - Storm Cat to stand to AQHA mares in 2009

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by MidnightHill, Jan 15, 2009.

1. pinp

pinp New Member

Is this the polite translation for 'asshole'? ::)

2. MidnightHill

MidnightHill New Member

Usually :D

3. lori

lori New Member

Yeah, for $20k you can get some really nice proven QH sires. Like, REALLY NICE. I do like Storm Cat's breeding for fast QHs, but it's almost as questionable as breeding to a nothing horse with good grandparents. So, I wonder, by the time the Vessels horse proves itself on the track, Storm Cat will probably be totally done breeding, right?

4. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I would think -- although there's always frozen semen, so they could make a few bucks off of that. And I think they're going for the breeders that (of course have some money to throw away) who would like to take a gamble. As it was SC was pretty much done breeding TBs, this keeps him in the breeding game at least a little bit, so his handlers don't really have anything to lose here.

I don't think he'll get a lot of QH breedings, but he'll get some.

5. paige

paige New Member

The general way of doing things in quarter horses when you introduce a new stud is to give away breedings to the best mares you can get---so that wont make them any money. Even outstanding horses give away breedings to good mares

6. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I think they're reckoning that he's already done his share and this will just be an added side benefit -- probably not concerned about filling the book or anything like that.
    I really can't see many QH breeders going to him at that price -- but there will be at least a few that will go for the "cachet" effect, there are always those sorts of things happening within any breed.

Meh, more power to them. I wouldn't personally, but if they can get some...