Moral Dilemma Or No Brainer

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by BUC, Jan 14, 2009.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

A "rescue" board I follow has some pretty scary (IMHO) crap going on. There are a few rescues that look terrible....and I mean BAD terrible. Like 1 strand of hot wire holding in 50 horses on 5 acres bad. Sometimes there is just baling twine....sometimes there is a boat being used as part of the fencing where there is a gaping hole in it.

There are 2 rescues I'm particularly interested in. Both have classic symptoms of hoarders. Animals stacked on top of each other, no basic care, tons of horses (one also has dogs, goats, sheep, pigs...) and filthy conditions. Yet people continue to throw money at them. The argument is "If XXXX hadn't rescued them they would have went to slaughter".

I see it as enabling.

So I guess my moral dilemma or no brainer is....do you let the horses suffer donation wise as to not enable? Or do you throw $ so they can just go to auctions and purchase more?

2. monizzle

monizzle New Member

First, I would contact the proper authorities to have the "rescue" shutdown. Above all, I would NOT send any money because the animals there are not going to gain anything from more animals that are in need of "rescuer's" time, food, and vet care. Yes they are not going to slaughter but they are now in their own personal hell- starving and possibly being picked on by more dominant animals, not to mention the agony of possible injury. IMHO slaughter would be a better option for them as once it's over it's over.

Anna

3. Susan

Susan New Member

Turn your head, close your eyes and keep your money in your bank acct. - nothing you will do money wise will help. Then maybe contact law enforcement/animal welfare in the area if feasable.

4. lori

lori New Member

Gotta quit enabling. Sucks, but ... otherwise it just never stops.

Is anyone calling them out on the poor facilities?

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

AC and every authority imaginable has been contacted. They can't do anything because the horses have basic food and water. There are no laws against stacking them on top of each other unfortunatly where either are located. AC and sherrifs reports are not glowing at all, but not as to where they can be seized. Trees are conciderd shelter, which I have NO problem with under normal circumstances, but I do have a problem when your talking 30-50 horses on small lots....

So unfortunatly it boils down to:

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

OOooOooopppsss....

Yes, several have....and you have internet groupies who pipe up and say your being mean, evil, hate horses....they are ALIVE and you should be happy!

And of course feeling any different mean you are automatically labeled "pro slaughter" too. Which ok, I am, but I know several who question that are not.

7. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

It sounds like money or donations would only be used to acquire more animals to stack on top of each other. On the other hand, no money may mean no food for the animals already there. It is indeed a dilemma.

Keep your money and keep reporting them? I don't know - it's a touch one. I would not knowingly enable though.

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Disclaimer: I do not and would never donate to either of these rescues. My jaw just hits the floor when I see people doing it, but then I take a step back and breath and see this side of it too:

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Here are some pictures of one of the rescues.

When I posted these back in Dec. of 07 I said the landlords would be kicking her out soon. Well they did and someone gave her another place to use also rent free and she fenced it all off the same way as here and it's also looking like a shit hole. I have the new pictures but don't have them uploaded yet. Wouldn't you think even NON horse people could see HUGE problems here?

Edited to remove the other link....I thought I was posting just the pictures....here's the right one:

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/bustedupcowgirl/MSR/

10. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

You would think so, but never give the majority of people benefit of the doubt concerning their intelligence, common sense, or reasoning ability.

Tough call from an emotional standpoint, but my two cents is to not enable. Eventually, if the money dries up, so does the shitty rescue. Sadly, I think we're going to see more and more of this in the near future.

11. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

no money no money no money NOT mo' Money

12. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

If the funds don't come in, because of the conditions. Then there won't be the hay to feed, let alone use for bedding. Then the authorities can do something about it.

13. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I would not donate any money

14. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Nope, I would not send anymore money. The "rescues" first priority should be the animals they already have, and it doesnt look like the money is being used properly. Theres more to horse care then just feeding them.

Its a tough call, like someone said, if the donations stop then the horses wont get fed....I think the rescue should ask for volunteers to help fix up the place. Get small town buisnesses and residents to donate ITEMS to help build better fences, etc.

15. KS QUARTERS

KS QUARTERS New Member

No $ those pics are disgusting they need to be responsible and take care of the animals they have. I don't call that a rescue I call that in need of rescuing Kim :mad:

16. BUC

BUC Administrator

These are my 2 favorite pictures of this rescue....so telling of the filth.

10,000 bonus points to whoever can tell me what's missing in the second picture ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Looks like the stairs the grey horse is standing on in the first pic are missing ???

18. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

they aren't missing I'll bet. The ground has been "built up" with shit.
    Disgusting.

19. BUC

BUC Administrator

BINGO

Holy horseshit batman!

20. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Thats what I meant to say.

Yay..I win bonus points.. ;D