Morgans and Saddlebreds -- let's talk bloodlines

Discussion in 'The Foaling Stall' started by JenR, Jan 21, 2009.

1. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Didn't want to leave you guys out of the mix!

2. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

I personally like the Government lines the best. The more stockier Morgans. I love the look of the ones built like a brick shit house.

My all time favorite Morgan stud is Archie O (my mares great grand sire) http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/archie+o I drool when I see his pic
    following close behind is General Gates http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/general+gates
    and The Brown Falcon http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/the+brown+falcon , and of course Kristofer Nugget and Miracle Mike not known near as well as the first 3 but was my mares sire and grandsire.

Next would be the "Working Western" line.

Don't know a whole lot about the show lines. Know a little about the Brunk Family as Hubby use to work with Clara Mayes. Recognize other names but little knowledge on the lines.

:)

3. JenR

Morgan and Saddlebred horses are a vast area of no knowledge for me, but it's cool to learn about them (I should've probably added drafts and the Finos, and Andies, and, and -- maybe later ;D). The only experience I've had with the Morgans is the Government lines (they cross really well with TBs and TB/light WBs to make sporthorses -- really nice combined driving, some eventers). There used to be a Saddlebred stallion, Flight Time Gold, that they were using to produce dressage/sporthorses out of, and the Dutch introduced some Saddlebred into their breeding program for the harness horses (and there was a lady in Germany who was keeping a band of Saddlebred broodmares -- in fact, the Germans were intrigued as hell by the Morgans at some driving events, loved the breed's name too). What bloodlines I have no clue.

4. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

I currently have 2 great grand get of Waseeka's Nocturne (he may be considered the Wing Commander of the Morgan world)....his get add 'pretty' to almost any cross. I like Cajun Pepper horses, although they can be on the hot side at times. I loved my Serendipity Aries B grandson also.....VERY typey, very tractable, just an all around nice guy. I admire the Noble Flair horses I have dealt with......they were very successful in the showring and had pleasant dispositions (unlike like the rumors of 'maneater' dispositions I had heard) BUT they were ALL business. I have a Nobility son in the barn right now, I rather like him, although, the only resemblance he has to his sire is his name on his papers.....the only way he'd make it to a park class in OK is if you put him in the trailer and drove him there. ;)

5. JenR

Interesting comment concerning the "park action" as opposed to...what sort of action other than the park? A more hunter-y or western-y type of action?

It would be interesting to find out which lines produce which/what (??) type of movement. It would also be really interesting to hear Morgan people discuss the relative pros and cons of each type of movement.

I'd add the Saddlebreds into that too -- I can remember my grandparents telling me of back in the day (when they sold some of their horses to the US Cav -- that was some time ago) that the remount people actually liked to see some Saddlebred in the horses. In fact, if I remember correctly, some of the horses at Ft. Riley were heavily crossed with Saddlebred, if not some full bred ones, and some were very good sporthorses. That's something not many first think of when they hear the word "Saddlebred" (and the same with the Morgans, and it was equally true for them) -- it would be interesting to note if there were certain lines that produced a more sport, rather than park, type horse, and what if anything has happened to them.

Yes, my bias is showing, but I have to approach things I don't really know about from an area I at least know a wee little bit.

6. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

I had 4 ASB's when I was a LOT younger, a Supreme Sultan son who I owned for quite awhile...enjoyed the piss out of him, rode him to Baskin Robbins on Tues (show shoes and all) and showed him on Fri. He was definitely 'versatile' whether he wanted to be or not. A Starheart 'something-or-other' mare that Don picked up from Oder's that he thought I should have....purchased her in Oct. worked her all winter and sold her for 4x my investment before her first show that spring. She was dainty, very pretty and very talented...I liked her a lot. A Marlbank son (by Supreme Sultan I think), big bodied but kinda short & punched up, very pretty & easy going. The last was a Stonewall's Main Event daughter, she wasn't the most talented horse I have ever owned (conformation really sucked), she had a LOT of heart, very tractable and VERY pretty. I liked the Sultan's Santana sons I showed, BIG gas pedal, a WHOLE lotta fun to ride. The Uncle Jimmy McDonald son I rode was VERY cute, big bodied and had a lot of heart. The General Steel son could be a bit 'tough', big, pretty, not much motion but the way he wore his head & neck, you almost didn't notice he couldn't trot over a pencil. ;)

7. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

The guy in my barn is a hunt horse. He's pretty comfortable filling that role. After my 'Morgan' friends watch him work and I tell them he's a Nobility son, I get the raised eyebrow and question mark/smirk look. He 'can' bend his knee...I just don't think he wants to/can put that kind of effort into his workout, if ya know what I mean. Now, if AMHA shows ever come up w/a class in which a horse is ridden in snow or mud and a person can run around next to or behind said horse w/a whip w/plastic baggie attached.....he'd be a contender! Don't read into my comment ;D...just my smart ass way of saying, there isn't a lot of natural motion, for any great length of time in this guy. He's got a lot of heart, a rider, giving clear signals can get him to go into/thru ANYTHING. He loved his job as a police horse (albeit shortlived....budget cuts ya know) and was a great ambassador on the streets for the Morgan breed.