My dog

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by monizzle, Feb 28, 2009.

1. monizzle

monizzle New Member

I have been taking my doxie mix to several vets for the last year and a half searching for answers for his chronic cough and labored breathing. Diagnoses have included kennel cough, collapsing trachea, kennel cough again, and emphysema.I took Bristol to the vet yesterday afternoon for his yearly vac's. I was so excited because she suggested taking Xrays to check his lungs and to put him on steroids for his cough-this is what I have been pushing for but no one has been willing to do this in the past.

We talked about him being put on a prescription weight loss food to counteract the steroids and his fatness already. A few jokes about his big ol' belly and he was off. Bristol came back from the Xray room very excited because everyone loved him and gave him lots of attention and treats. The vet then showed me his xrays. His heart is about 2x the size it should be and spherical instead of oval like. His lungs are filled with fluid and fluid is filling his chest cavity. He is being referred to another clinic in town for cardio ultrasound to specifically diagnose the problem but it essentially boils down to congestive heart failure. I was a little overwhelmed so I was afraid to ask how far it had progressed/his estimated lifespan.

He is on lasix and benasepril with a low sodium diet. I will be calling the vet Monday with questions, but would like any feedback from you all that have dealt with this personally. His EKG was normal and the vet could not detect a murmur.

Bristol is very excited to start his pills-nothing better than a hunk of velveeta twice a day!

2. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Bristol sounds like a fun little guy! I hope he will be okay.

3. SIERRA

SIERRA New Member

Jade my great dane has the same thing she is on lasix twice a day and 2x a day enapril and 5 vetmedin 3 in the morning and 2 at night. he said she had about MAYBE 3 mos.

4. susiebk

susiebk New Member

My little min pin Emma was in the same situation, but as she was already close to 13 years old when I got her. We just went with Lasix (furosamide) and Vasotec (enalepril).......Lasix was 2 x per day and Vasotec 1 x per day. I trained her to use a doggy litter box (the Lasix will make them pee like mad!)....she did quite well for about 9 months, and even went horse camping with me:) I asked Nightrider to do an transthroracic echo on her, but being 10 pounds it was a little bit difficult to figure out her ejection fraction:) VBG......my vet was nice enough to write me prescriptions for the meds, which I bought at Walmart for $4 each per month.......so for $8/month we did really well. Occassionally she had an injection of long acting theophylline to help as well......

I hope your dog does as well as Emma did......

Susie.

5. monizzle

monizzle New Member

Susie how did you treat Emma to use a litter box? For the most part between the BF and I, we are able to make it home every 4 hours to let him out. This seems like his max to hold it though. IF he pees in the house he prefers to do it on a plastic grocery bag so I have set up a ripped in half garbage bag and grocery bag so he can use that if he MUST. The litter box seems like a good idea but I think he may miss his mark since he's a he and not a she. :)

6. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Dog-a-ware is a nice reference site. I used it quite a bit when Mumbo was in kidney failure.

http://www.dogaware.com/specific.html#heart

Both Benazepril and Enalapril are ACE-inhibitors, you'll find some vets prescribe one versus the other, but my understanding is that Benazepril has less side affects. Ditto getting a script from you vet and doing the Walmart $4 prescriptions, if this will be long term.

Paws crossed they he does well on the treatment, and enjoy every day you have with him.

7. monizzle

monizzle New Member

I talked to the vet today and he will be getting an US sometime later this week. She said that since he didn't have a murmur and the EKG was abnormal the US would be crucial in diagnosing and correctly treating. After that we will be doing xrays every 6 months to a year to check that the meds are working and monitor fluids build up. If he responds well to treatment she expects he will live a happy, comfortable 3-5 years! No matter what we'll enjoy every minute we have together.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and encouragement. It's been very helpful