My Horse Sees...

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Willie76, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

DEAD PEOPLE! I think so at least. This could be the only possible explanation for his behavior today. Our arena is next to this ancient mare and her pasture. There's a small break in the trees and every horse freaks the first time they see her, or if she gets up next to the fence unexpectedly. Willie has seen her 102 times. He stopped and snorted and got over it the first time and it has not bothered him since.

Today, she was no closer to the fence line than normal, but all of the sudden he noticed her, whipped sideways, stopped and stared. He was trembling and I could feel his heart thumping. All of the sudden, he rears, spins sideways and takes off. I stop him, turn around and face the offender. I cannot get him within 50 feet of that corner. I finally get about 20 feet away when he starts backing up like there was no tomorrow. He half rears, pivots, and scoots away. Again and again we repeat this process until I decided that getting myself killed wasn't going to do us any good. I got off of him and led him to the corner, couldn't get within 25 feet. Starts running backwards again. And again. And again.

After about half an hour of standing there and calmly walking back and forth past her, he at least didn't run away. He definitely had his neck and body tensed. All I can think of was maybe she was wearing an invisible grim reaper cape, holding a scythe and also holding a sign that said, "Willie you're next!"

What's funny is that he was awesome after that.

2. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

never thought of that explanation before---Maybe that is why my guy acts like an idiot in places he should be familiar with.

Good thinking, with these guys anything is possible

3. Shell

Shell New Member

Maybe she is a ghost!

Actually, I'm feeling sorry for her :(

4. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

I do too, actually. She's way up there in age (though I'd say she looks good for an oldie) and I've never seen anyone touch her (not that I observe the neighbors all that often.)

5. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

maybe in horse life she's scary ugly...

or sadly maybe old she smells like death.

6. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

LOL or maybe Willie is a big chicken shit.. LOL

glad you didn't get hurt tho!!!

7. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

Willie is generally a pansy. Especially about puddles. But in the 2 years I've had him, he has never spooked more then a little startle. I have also never felt him tremble that badly. It was weird.

8. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

I bet you anything mine would have pulled the same thing. He's a big wuss about quite a few things, corners, fans, big blue tack trunks, sleds, shovels, etc. I just smile and nod...

9. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

that is weird!! she must have put a voodoo hex on him or something!!