Need a new saddle pad now

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by alljackedup, Feb 5, 2009.

1. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Thanks to our new dog, I need a new saddle pad. :mad:

This is what I HAD and loved, but he ate the entire front corner of it off, so now I gotta find another pad. :'(
    http://www.csipads.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=6

I've had it for 4 years, and it worked great.

I just figured that with everyone on here, maybe there is something even better out there now. I am only wanting to spend $150, which is what it will cost me to replace mine.

Anybody got any ideas? I strictly trail ride with him ( and occasionally shoot :p), but that's it.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. :-*

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Sent you a pm about equipedics. :th_afrique:

3. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

The hardware store in Paw Paw is having a going out of business sale. I do believe most of their tack is 35% off (some maybe even as much as 50% - but I'm not sure)

They have SEVERAL pads left - I was just in there last night!

If you don't want the drive - what about D&H ag? They have a tack section...............

There is also the store in Mendota............

4. LuvMyArabs

LuvMyArabs New Member

5. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

Since I've never been to Paw Paw ;), where is the store? I might run out there tomorrow after work.

My cousin has that professional choice pad, and it's nice, but with Jack's back build, this one was better. I can't believe I'm sad over this.

6. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

I say, if you know the one you had is that good, fits him pefectly, and they have a nice long life to them, I'd be buying 2!

Screw looking at different ones, get what you know works and you like!

7. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

Tack is 50% off as of last week, but most of her pads were kinda barrel shaped or for Aussie shaped saddles.

8. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

I know ET, I feel the same, but I 'm thinking I don't wanna be missing out on something that might be even better. :nana:I do know that I like this one.

I DO have another question though. When I bought him, he had a white spot right on the top of his withers( which are high), that gets bigger every year. If I get another type of pad that is cut out right there, will that sopt continue to grow? It's bigger than it was when we bought him, but nothing is rubbing him there.

9. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Oy. White spots.

There is no cut and dry answer.

If it's growing, something is still pushing there. If you take that pressure away, it's possible you're just putting it in a different spot.

I noticed white hairs on Andy's withers...so I thought "yeesh...saddle too tight" so I switched to the wider gullet. Well derrr....Dr. Dan pointed out that my white spots were because my gullet was already too wide...they were just a bit higher up than where they'd be if the saddle was too narrow.

Saddle fit makes me want to whack my head on a wall.

ETA: Right on TOP of his withers? I've seen a horse that got a white spot from the wither spot on the winter blanket, right on top.

Any way you could post a picture?

10. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Often horses can get a white spot there due to rubbing from the saddle blanket.
    If you don't peak your pad up into the gullett before tightening the girth then alot of pressure is put there.

11. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

AJU - Just as Equuest says.......a huge reason why withers get damages is because people so not putt the blanket up befrore they tighten the saddle. When the tighten the saddle the blanket gets pulled harder and harder agains the wither bones......

Put you hand under the bottom blanket pull up toward the saddle (making a pocket) then tighten the saddle.

12. desederada

desederada New Member

Definately! That's why I always buy the high wither pads. Have you ever stuck your hand underneath one that's not cut for high withers and felt how much pressure they put over the wither ::)

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

I LOVE MY SMX pads and Sassy's white spots have actually went away since I started using mine four years ago.. the first one I got was a cut back ... with built up withers