Need a tube of Bute...

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by StarryNight924, Jan 23, 2009.

1. StarryNight924

StarryNight924 New Member

So my horse was kind enough to develop what looks like an abcess in his back left heel bulb area. We did this 2 years ago with the right and he was 3-legged until it blew. And of course he will not eat powdered bute.
    Anyone in the Dekalb/Sycamore area have a tube of bute that they'd be willing to sell? I've been doing the applesauce and bute concoction in a 60cc syringe and it's a giant PIA. So a tube of it would be WONDERFUL! Thanks!

2. lori

lori New Member

...you can't pick it up from your vets? I'm confused.

3. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

Malta Veterinary or the vet in Maple Park would have it... Maybe even Bethany Vet, the large animal one is across the street but I don't know if they stock things like this there.

I've done the applesauce concoction in that big syringe, it's definitely a PITA!

4. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Maple park vet is out :(

She drove to Byron today to get a tube..

5. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Call Virgil Vet Clinic.

6. StarryNight924

I never think of Virgil for some reason. And don't even get me started on Maple Park at this point. I love Dr. Rogers dearly, but it's times like this (when they are out of EVERYTHING) that I am glad I use another equine vet.
    So I took a trip to China (Byron) yesterday and got my 1 tube. Pizzazz is looking better, but no blown abcess yet. He' REALLY tender across the left back heel bulb and still walking on his toe. So I guess I'll just keep on soaking and hope it blows soon.

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

in a situation like that wouldn't it be possible to call Kendall Road Equine Hospital ?

Wouldn't that have been closer then Byron

Just wondering?

8. HFSH

HFSH New Member

Will the horse eat applesauce? I've often bought those lunch pack single serving size applesauces and you just pop the pill in there, let it 'melt' overnight in the sauce, then mix it on their grain.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I keep a little electric coffee bean grinder in my feed room for grinding up pills.

Works great and once pulverized and mixed with some grain or soaked beet pulp they don't seem to avoid the med as much as trying to get a pill down their throat.

10. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

My horses will eat bread so that's a good way to get a regular pill into them too.

11. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

My horse is a walking garbage can and it is nice that he will lick the powdered bute right up...lol

12. Amurry

Amurry New Member

I have always been told not to bute for an abscess. It takes away the inflammation needed to build in order for it to bust...... In other words you are prolonging the pain your horse is in by giving the bute.

13. syndiego

syndiego New Member

No, it's antibiotics that will delay the abcess, not bute! By all means, give something for the pain.

14. Horsemommy47

Horsemommy47 New Member

Absess popped tonight...yeah!!!

15. StarryNight924

No the problem was, if my horse thinks there's bute in something, he will not eat it. No matter how well mixed it is. That's where the tube comes in. Bute usually doesn't help abcess pain in the first place, but we weren't sure if he had gotten kicked or something along those lines or if it was really an abcess. He's got a big chunk of hair out of his dock area (that I noticed the same day I figured out he was lame), so it was more to do the process of elimination thing.

But I popped the abcess last night while poking around his heel bulb, looking for tenderness. Not very big, but it's in the same place on the opposite back foot that the one he had 2 years ago was. And it came right out the top of the heel bulb. It looks like it'll close up nicely though, so I'm happy.

16. syndiego

syndiego New Member

Actually, I've found that bute does help my gelding with abcess pain. I've been dealing with a stubborn abcess with my gelding for 3 weeks (I'm 99% sure it's an abcess, because he is prone to them). I originally soaked for 4 days, and gave bute, and nada. I stopped the bute, and he was sound. Two weeks go by, and he's dead lame again. Can't find a painful spot with the hoof testers, but there is heat up in his coronet band. I dread the thought of soaking again, because of the cold weather. I'm afraid I'll have to.

17. StarryNight924

Yeah, the shoer was out Tuesday and tried the hoof testers and found no hoof pain at all. It was all up in the heel bulb. But I kept feeling heat in the top of the hoof and no where else in his leg. He looks MUCH better today, so that makes me a very happy person. Good luck with your gelding.

18. doc T

doc T New Member

Phenylbutazone is a non-selective, non-steroidal antiinflammatory drug which works for all pain, most notably orthopedic pain. It is also the most commonly prescribed pain reliever for foot abscesses.

19. Gruce

Gruce New Member

Isnt it nice to have "our own" vet here on the forum!!! ty doc T :-*

20. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

If soaking is not something that can be done because of the weather, I highly reccommend Animalintex to help with something like this.

This stuff works so good.
    Follow the directions. Soak in hot water. Wrap foot, pay attention to where you think the abcess is, keep the plastic side away from the foot. Wrap w/ vetwrap. I am telling you with in a day or so, your absess will have been brought to the surface.
    You can cut it so you have the size you need.

If you do this, and there is still nothing after 4-6 days, there you have may have something else wrong.

I have done soaking and wrapping with animalintex and have great success with it.