Need Advice

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by MyTeDun, Jan 29, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My farrier has gone AWOL

I have called 4 times now over the past 48 hrs hoping he would pick up. This is not like him---- He has never missed an appt. without contacting me to reschedule. He was supposed to be here last week, he was late so I called to check on ETA, we rescheduled to yesterday at 9am. No Call!

I have even called his family to ensure he is ok. Everything is fine!? I don't understand.

Have been a regular customer for about 6 yrs---have always paid him at time of service.

What would you do? ???

I have 3 that need trims bad--- overdue due to his schedule

2. PT

PT New Member

If you're in a bind, I use Dan Marek. He's due any time to be out our way, so give him a call.

815-228-4412

3. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Here's my advice:
    1) Don't wait so long between trims.
    There is no reason for them to be desperate after one weeks missed appt. unless they were already over due.
    2) always have a back up (or 2) names/numbers on hand for emergency instances. (just like you would/should for the vet).
    3) Give him the benefit of the doubt and patiently try again over the next couple days. Maybe he's just super busy or something personal has come up. Not to excuse his behaviour but life happens to the best of us.

4. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

We have farrier appts every 3 weeks.

Weather screwed us up last time now this-------- And when I say desperate I mean they have gone past 6 weeks not 6 months. I'm compulsive about hoof trims.

I have contacted two new farriers, have an appt made as a backup in case I need him and waiting to hear from yet another.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thank you for the IM's with names and numbers.

Didn't realize there are so many farriers in my area---- I now have a new farrier (Thank you Cathy)

Plus have 2 that said call if I needed someone---Rambo will never miss his 3 week appt again! (Fingers are crossed)

6. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I depend heavily on my farrier.. we only have 4 farriers in my area... I know for a fact that one is a complete moron.. Then there is the one I use.. and of the other two.. one is older and doesn't take any more clients and the fourth one may be ok.. he will be the one I call if something ever happens to my #1.

I treat my farrier like GOLD!! LOL he gets cookies and water/lemonade in the summer and cookies and coffee/hot coco in the winter!! I am always there an hour early to get my pony ready(she gets brushed and feet cleaned as much as possible) and to clean the spot where he will be doing the trimming.. (lots of work in the winter when we have 3 feet of snow).. I always pay in cash (he gives receipts) And.. he comes every 3-4 weeks in the summer and just a couple of times in the winter.. He is also the only one who will work with the vets... well with maybe the exception of my #2..

Sorry, a bit off topic..

Hope your new farrier worked out for you MTD :)

7. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

My new farrier was here this afternoon! yeah, the guys had their manicures~~

He will be back in 4 weeks

Cathy, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! He is great