Need Good Vibes Prayers Please....

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by shyfilly78, Feb 1, 2009.

1. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

On Friday I got a phone call that 3 of my horses were loose. I rushed to the barn (3 miles away) and all were found safe. I corraled them up and inspected the barn. They got into the grain. which had about 75lbs of 14 % kent show pro and a 50 lbs bag of calf manna. what was left in the bottom of the bin totaled about 15lbs of the show pro and there was grain scattered around the barn...but you know it is definately FREAK worthy.

The black mare had laid down about 3 times in the time from when I got there to the time the vet arrived. The mustang and sport were both alert and drinking. I counted 11 piles of poo around the barn lot that were new/fresh. Gums were normal on the two. Pale on the black mare. We gave them all the banamine/antihistimine (sp) shot to be safe and he left me with 2 more doses just in case.

They all drank and ate and deficated and were alert by that evening. Yesterday all was well. So I assumed I was out of the woods.

Tonight, Rocky (mustang) was very lethargic, and not interested in eating. HEAT in his hooves. I called Doc and he said to give him 10 cc's of the banamine and stand him in the snow for a bit to cool off his feet. Doc said to give him the last 10 cc's in the morning and if he's not great then, he'll come out.

He said that banamine should stop founder "in its tracks", but he had a shot already and um...? I know I should count on Doc, but um if I loose Rocky as a riding horse, I'm gonna freak. Please Please Please, pray for him!

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Oh nooooo.... :(

He's in my prayers!!!

How in love with this vet are you?

3. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Sending good vibes your way.

4. Michele

Michele New Member

Oh, healing thoughts coming out to you and your horse.

5. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Oh dear, Shy! Lots and lots of prayers and healing thoughts coming your way!!!

6. BUC

BUC Administrator

Prayers heading your way!

7. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

He's not the "go to" vet normally, but he's great in an emergency (meaning he is easy to get ahold of and he comes RIGHT away, I can call him anytime and he always answers the phone and will come whenever). You do what you can.

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

8. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

:- It just worries me that he's not 'coming right away' for this one...

The heat in the feet really scares me.

9. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Oh crap sending major prayers and healing vibes!

10. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

thoughts a vibes being sent!!!! I hope he works it out!!!

11. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Im not a vet, but I have had two cases of founder (one was an old mare who has chronically foundered) and one was a young QH who got PHF. Both were on 10cc banamine, bute and 1/2 cc acepromazine. Banamine & Bute 1x day, Ace 2x day.

12. desederada

desederada New Member

Sending good vibes .... Do you have him turned out to stand in the snow? O.K. DUH I just reread your post.

13. Peggy Sue

Peggy Sue New Member

thoughts and good vibes being sent your way!!!

14. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Get a second opinion....most will tube with mineral oil....do he do this?

15. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Restrict movement...will only make founder worse if he is. We also give isoxuprine. Most vets will also put foam pad towards the back of the hoof to take pressure off the toe/coffin bone. When they step down it helps them bear weight on the heels. You can get a sheet of it at any hardware store...we have used the really dense pink kind. Is he rocking back off of his front end...looking parked out?

Good luck, I hope all comes out well.

16. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

just got back from the barn to check on them. Sport has no heat in her hooves now and I lifted up both her back feet and she didn't act sore. just acted like she had a tummy ache.

rocky's feet are noticeably cooler. I checked his pulse and its not over 60 (didn't have a watch, but was slower than 60 beats for sure).

I spoke with another vet and he said if he's got the banamine and i've cooled his feet down, alright, I can call him in the morning if its worse. This is my normal vet.

Thank you to AprilD and OPD for being on the phone/there with me tonight. OPD came by and April was on the phone with me trying to keep me calm.

Ah good times.

I'm going to try and get some sleep now. Have to be at work at 6am.

Edited to answer questions:
    No. They did not tube/mineral oil...though it would've been nice to have the stuff go right through'm instead of allowing to absorb...LESSON LEARNED. They are all standing square on all fours. I imagine they'll probably have a tummy ache for a few more days.

17. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

The mustang has come around...he is alert and moving without pain today. Thank you for your prayers.

Sport, however, is not doing great at all. There is no heat in any of their feet, but sport does NOT want to move. In addition to banamine, I'm starting her on a pretty aggressive oil treatment. My trainer Myles brought a horse that was near death from Founder back to sound again. It isn't cheap but it is worth it to me.

Please keep them in your prayers!!! Thanks again!

18. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Keeping Sport in thoughts and prayers!

Believe me when I say you can bring a horse back from founder if you are diligent. DO NOT GIVE ANYTHING BUT GRASS HAY for a few days.
    Thats how I start at least with the feeding.

Sounds like you have the perfect people giving you advice-

19. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

When u say moving without pain, is that free of bute or banamine? Also curious about the aggressive oil treatment? I had a horse come in several years ago who was foundering when he arrived. I should have sent him back, but I kept him anyway.... ::)a bit of a softie that way. We were able to stop the rotation at 5 degrees, and with diligent care he x-rayed clean a year later. The first thing my farrier did was turn the shoes around to give support at the heel....helped him walk better immediately. He had an abscess in each front hoof...soaked 2x a day, gave acepromazine(increases circulation to the hooves) 3x a day orally, and lots of bute. One of the main things to do when suspecting founder is to stop them from moving....VERY important in the case of my gelding. Good luck, mine did not have a lot of heat in his hooves. Did you also ask about isoxuprine?

20. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

I have not asked about it yet, but it is on my list to do today! As far as the oil treatment. I'm a young living oil dealer and have a large collection of therapeutic oils...I'm applying them to the coronet band (the small bottle I've been instructed to put together and have, was 100+worth of oils in a 15ml bottle, but thankfully I already had them. If i can hit it from all directions that's all I care about...all I"m doing is crying and working these last few days...trying to figure out what's best for my horse.