Need vet reccomendation acl tear suspected

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Angellou, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

My Goldendoodle has been lame on her left rear off and on for a few months. She is active and running one day and then the next she can't put weight on her leg in the morning but then she will use it as the day goes on.
    I think it's a acl tear and I need a vet that is experienced and trusted for this type of thing. I live near the Dekalb area but I will travel for a great vet. Anyone have experience with this or know a great vet that has done this type of surgery?

2. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

I have a Rott that had it done several years ago. I would say about 4 years ago, and is now 8 years old. We used Dr. Diemer/Emmert from Prairie View. The only thing is that we didn't have a meniscus removed because it was healthy at the time, and she re injured her leg(not to the same degree) because she likes to spin when excited. This type of surgery has a lengthy recovery process, so we opted not to perform another surgery to repair the tear. It took a long time the for tear to calm down, but now u wouldn't even know anything had happened, except watching her get up from laying down. She walks really well, has some good days and some bad....but overall quality of life is good. I also found it interesting that to replace the ACL they use really strong fishing line!

3. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Someone I work with took her dog to Prairie View for the surgery. So far she is okay.

Anne, I will talk to Cindy. I remember her mentioning a vet that specialized in ACL surgery.

4. HorseFarm

HorseFarm New Member

There is a vet at our clinic in Beecher who is real good with this type of surgery. He gets lots of referrals from other clinics. Depending on the degree of injury, he has had people do therapy with the dogs to strengthen the leg to see if that helps first. His name is Dr. Jack Engels.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I was told my guy, Akita was probably too old (8yrs) and to big of a breed to have the surgery.
    Adviced to take him to U of I for evaluation~

He runs and plays fine but then he lays down and has problems getting his back legs under him again. Once up he limps for a few steps then off he goes.

Stairs and jumping into vehicles are a problem so we help him. Otherwise you would never know.

I would love to get his ACL fixed but was told no guarantee, very expensive and the other leg could go anytime.

We keep him on Omega 3, Glu/Cond every day and only corn free food.

6. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Thanks for the info. She has been fine for a few days now, running, romping etc. I know she will favor it again though and there is significant swelling in the soft tissue. I am still on the hunt for a great vet.

7. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Anne, per Cindy..

The vet is dr carlson of village vet clinic in Carol Stream on Geneva rd.
    Also Dr.Bonjourno in Geneva on Randall rd.

8. ashley4219

ashley4219 New Member

at my last place we reccomended Dr. Cook: http://www.animalmedicalclinicstc.com/ From my experience he seems to be pretty highly priced.

At my new hospital that i work at we've got a specialized dr. that travels to us and does most of our ortho surgeries. Or we have Dr. Margaret that does some. You can make an appointment with us and either way for a consult bring your x-rays with you! Depending oh they type of ACL tear i'm i'm at the animal hosptial of streamwood.

otherwise you can check out VCA aurora or VSC in buffalo grove. Both are specialty clinics.

However what i'm wondering if you don't have a torn ACL and all you have a luxating patella. Cause from what you describe it kinda sounds like that. If it was a torn ACL chances are that she'd be three legged at most times. Luxating patellas are just "trick knees" that pop out from time to time (if they bend a certain way or such they move usually to the inside of the knee. They are graded on a scale of 4. And most will move back in position by themselves if it's a lower grade.) anywhich way, see a dr.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thanks for the info Ashley---- nothing I've been told so far

10. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Ashley, thanks for the info. I think you are right it might be a floating patella.

11. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

The diagnosis from the vet is hip dysplaysia. Her knees were fine but the vet thinks that the pain is coming form her hips. the xrays are very convincing too, so now she will be on Cosequin and Rymadyl.
    I guess it's better than knee surgery but still not a great thing to have.