Needs Discussion...

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shannon, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Shannon

Shannon New Member

While sitting at a bar last night, I looked up to the TV to see that the WGN News at 9 was reporting on the snow.

The caption at the bottom of the screen said...

Mo' Snow.

Comment?

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

Well, you did say it was WGN....... :)

More dumbing down of America? I mean we had this whole big Palin debate over words she used....I seriously doubt if she were writing an important memo you'd see that language. I think these little things to be "cute" show how moronic our television, media is becoming.

3. Shannon

Shannon New Member

Maybe ebonics will be our new national language ??? :D

4. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

5. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

That's Fo Sho, taint it?

6. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

7. Buffy

Buffy New Member

8. Shannon

Shannon New Member

9. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Dat mo snow, waz a mo fo, fo sho.

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

11. JenR

AHAhahahahahaha!

word dawg

12. BUC

BUC Administrator

Since you did ask for discussion.....

Why do people think it's cool to talk like that? What is the point besides working at sounding uneducated?

13. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

And how about the "style" (I use the term loosely - no pun intended) of the baggy cloths?

They are mimicking the street kids, who don't have enough money to purchase the correct cloths. Hey, I guess it is sheek to look like bums?!?!?! :eek:

14. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Fo Shore is hillbilly ebonics. :laugh:

15. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

16. JenR

We see this sort of linguistic abberations, clothing choices, and behavior because the youth of this country have been taught by the media (and to some extent the schools and society) that it is justified, righteous, and just plain cool as hell to take on the trappings of the counter culture and its progressive rebellion against the old order.

And T, the baggy clothes thing has NOTHING to do with not having the money to buy clothes that fit -- it was a freaking street trend partially and a high fashion take off on street fashion only. Poor kids have habitually gotten their clothes from yard sales, thrift stores, and charity houses -- they don't get to wear the stuff you see rappers, gang bangers, and spoiled suburbanite kids wearing. Yeah, their clothes may not fit -- but this had nothing to do with lack of wealth, precisely just the opposite of it; it's a display of wealth.

And damn nasty too -- when some young punk is walking around with his damn pants almost down to his knees and the front of his boxers are hanging open (yeah, major c$%k shot -- what a way to start the day ::)) I kinda have to fight the urge to shoot him. and usually he's walking with some dumbass girl sporting the every popular "whale tail" -- oh yeay, I get to see her goodies too while picking up milk for my babies::) -- so I have to fight the urge to (quaintly) "pop a cap in their ass" -- because you know somewhere out there is a little old lady that's dying due to lack of oxygen; oxygen that these two worthless sacks of shit as sucking up. (and that they'll probably reproduce and create even more worthless sacks of shit that will eventually suck ukp my oxygen).

17. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

I don't know if this is what you're talking about or not... but if you are talking about the closed caption for the hearing impaired?

18. Shannon

Shannon New Member

No, It was not the closed caption. It was simply the "title" of the information they were covering.

For Example:
    While covering the election WGN used the caption read "Decision 08" while the reporters were discussing the decision.
    For covering the additional snow coming they used "Mo Snow" while the reporters were covering the additional snow approaching.

19. paige

paige New Member

Baggy clothing started in prison, as a way to communicate availability. I bet if kids new that, they would be less willing to dress like that

I dont care what TV channels put on there--but it is true that white folks are not the only demographic in this country. It is a fact that soe peopel talk that way--so why shouldnt it be used on TV too? Media is supposed to be a reflection of society

20. BUC

BUC Administrator

I know a lot of black people who don't talk that way. We were all born in the USA. It doesn't even resemble native African language. Do you really think that Obama would have been elected if he spoke that way? Keep the intelligence and all....if he went around saying Mo sno and fo sho would he be where he is now? That's my point, it has nothing to do with race. There are plenty of white people who think this is obviously some kind of cool language too. They work at Hardee's and gas stations. Why dumb yourself down? If the media is a reflection on our society I guess that means only stupid people are watching?