News From Illinois

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by BUC, Feb 6, 2009.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

A new bill has been introduced for Illinois slaughter plants to reopen eliminating the law Blago put into place.

http://ilga.gov/legislation/billsta...0&GA=96&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=41004&SessionID=76

Synopsis As Introduced
    Amends the Illinois Horse Meat Act. Restores language that exempted certain types of horse meat from regulation under the Act. Repeals a provision that prohibits the slaughter of horses for human consumption. Amends the Animals Intended for Food Act. Expands the definition of "animal" to include "horses, mules, or other equidae". Amends the Illinois Equine Infectious Anemia Control Act. Allows equidae more than 12 months of age to enter the State for immediate slaughter without a certificate of veterinary inspection. Requires equidae entering the State for immediate slaughter to be accompanied by a consignment direct to slaughter at an approved equine slaughtering establishment. Amends the Humane Care for Animals Act. Creates an exemption from the general prohibition against selling, offering to sell, leading, riding, transporting, or driving on any public way any equidae that, because of debility, disease, lameness or any other cause, could not be worked in this State. Deletes a provision that prohibited injured equidae from being sent directly to a slaughter facility. Amends the Humane Slaughter of Livestock Act. Deletes a provision in the definition of the term "livestock" that excludes "horses, mules, or other equidae to be used in and for the preparation of meat or meat products for consumption by human beings". Imposes conditions on any rulemaking authority. Effective immediately.

2. photofinish

photofinish Senior Member

I haven't headed over to WhackaDoo Land, yet, but I am guessing there is much weeping and gnashing of teeth.... In a perfect world, at least some of them would realize that their "closure campaign" had far-reaching and tragic consequences. But, alas, we don't live in a perfect world, so I am guessing that they are as fervent and misguided as ever ::)

3. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Wonder who got this idea going?

If it was one of the more "honest" ::) politicians, I'd say this was done as a measure of good sense after the numbskulledness of the initial closure.
    However, I trust no one in the halls of power anymore -- maybe a new slaughter plant is going to be doing booming business due to the horses in IL having no place else to go? (aka. we're all going to be so strapped, that unless we're millionaires we're not going to be able to keep our horses?)

Time to watch some of the "animal defenders" -- if they start making a move on the horse industry, it will be time to watch just exactly where those horses go. (Yes, this bit with Hoss has me thinking).

4. photofinish

Easy, Jen, isn;t the "grassy knoll" still snow covered? *ducks and runs* :th_nanana1:

5. JenR

I'm not big into conspiracy theories, but when the anti-slaughter legislation passed I'll admit to having a nagging fear in the back of my mind that what was really happening was a purposeful cut into the horse industry and that in a few years there would be another slaughter plant in operation. And that business would be booming.

Economy is down, with the closing of Cavel the horse industry in the state is reeling, plus we have the animal rights people at our throats -- in short, it's getting really hard to own a horse in this state (and a lot of other states in the Union). And maybe it's going to get even harder yet.

What better time to make a whole shitload of money in the horse slaughter business??

I've got a bad feeling this isn't about helping the horse industry out, this is about making a lot of dough off of its eventual demise.

6. photofinish

I don't think the slaughter houses were ever really "for" the industry. As long as we make horses, there will be surplus. They just took out the slack.

It has to have been a profitable business, or else the plants would've shut down years ago of their own accord. Seems like, if they were to reopen now, they would have plenty of business and they'd still be getting the horses cheaply, the KBs will just be glad to not have to ship so far.

7. morapt

morapt New Member

I received an email back from Jim Sacia stating that any letters or emails to the committee members in support of this would be appreciated. Seems there is a fear by some of the Chicago Media. Below is a link to the list of committee members.
    http://ilga.gov/house/committees/members.asp?committeeID=626

8. BUC

BUC Administrator

Thanks for the info.

Montana may get a bill passed as soon as this week to open up a slaughter facility there too. I cannot believe all the states that are currently pushing to get one.

The support from the pro slaughter side has been amazing. People are finally waking up and fighting for what they believe in too instead of just letting shit happen all around them.

9. morapt

morapt New Member

Wow, that is amazing. I look forward to hearing the results.

10. JenR

I think the lousier this economy gets, the more ground the animal rights folks and the greenies (sometimes one and the same) will loose. When people don't have money to feed their families or pay for their house, or put gas in their tanks to go to jobs that may not exist next week -- well, they just aren't going to care about whether furry critters are slaughtered or little mousies have a nice home.

11. MelW

MelW New Member

while slaughter isnt on our side, it is good that this will be re opening (hopefully)

12. BUC

BUC Administrator

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x617066758/Horse-slaughter-bill-passes-committee

GATEHOUSE NEWS SERVICE
    Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 01:22 PM

SPRINGFIELD - .A measure to repeal the two-year-old ban on horse slaughtering for human consumption in Illinois is gaining some momentum in the state Legislature.

The House Agriculture and Conservation Committee voted 11-2 Tuesday for House Bill 583, pushed by Republican Rep. Jim Sacia of Pecatonica, to lift the ban. The measure now moves to the full House.

Sacia's veterinarian, Dr. Tim Strathman, testified before the committee in favor of repealing the ban. To appease animal-rights groups, Strathman proposed adding a tax on horses at slaughter plants to Sacia's measure. He said a $25 fee on horses payable to the state could then be turned over to horse organizations to fund nonslaughter alternatives.

Former Rep. Bob Molaro, D-Chicago, testified against repealing the ban that he had pushed for successfully two years ago. He said Strathman's tax proposal does not address his concern that slaughtering horses always is inhumane.

"I just don't understand how we can tell these pets who have served and worked for us, 'We're going to slaughter you so Europeans can eat you,'" Molaro said.

Supporters of the slaughter ban consider the vote a setback, but remain optimistic.

"We're very disappointed by the vote, but we hope to have a better result on the (House) floor," said Jordan Matyas, the Illinois state director of the Humane Society of the United States.

13. Shell

Shell New Member

"$25 fee on horses payable to the state could then be turned over to horse organizations to fund nonslaughter alternatives."

??? ...like sending it to the FOB's so they can buy more at auctions?

14. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

Can you even imagine the frenzy in FOB land? Buc - don't go there. You'll have a heart attack.

15. BUC

BUC Administrator

LOL, your kidding, right? I spend more time there than I do here :laugh: And my heart attacks are induced by LMAO so hard. That board is my main source of entertainment. Nut bag central.

16. photofinish

I have to agree on this! When they get riled up over something it's very good watchin' ! They run around sobbing, bumping into each other (metaphorically, but the picture is SO clear in my mind's eye!), sobing, praying for "all the sweet babies"... Eyyyy, eyyy , ey... Another thing, when you go to FOBland much, you realize that there is a large chunk of population who really do need their crazy check every month from Uncle Sam...

17. BUC

BUC Administrator

My favorite is when they go to crying about how the pro slaughter forces resort to name calling...all while they are slinging some of the meanest shit around you ever saw. I cannot name one instance where a pro slaughter person said that an anti slaughter person should die or be killed for their beliefs, but you see the opposite every day there. They sit around and think of scenarios to off pro slaughter people.

18. Shell

Shell New Member

Buc, just a request :) could you post their link again?