OK.. do any of you all feed like this?

Discussion in 'Ask The (wannabe) Vets & Farriers' started by AKPonygirl, Feb 7, 2009.

1. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

"High quality & well fertilized. Proven reputation. Large square bales 3'x3'x8' weighing 800 lbs. Can be picked up at farm for $300 per ton or $120 per bale. Also available at K Bar D in Fairbanks (456-2668) with added cost for freight. We can deliver in truck load quantities. Ward Farms 895-5415"

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/grd/1007698792.html

Do those big bales have flakes? Would they be too big to deal with for just one or two horses?

2. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

Main problem is having a way to move them around because of the weight. I have a skid loader, so for us it is easy. Very easy to store in the barn, it has tripled the amount of storage in comparison to round bales. I have stacked them 6/7 high. We feed them as flakes, 2x a day...just def more messy than small squares and heavier. This is my first year using them, the only change is that next year I think that I will buy a small quantity of small squares...for the convenience when trail riding/horse shows.

3. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I have a girlfriend who uses them. she says they do flake out well - but with her's each flake is about the size of a regular small square bale.... :eek: :-[

They pull off a "flake" or two, put it in the back of their gator and off they go!

4. JZ

JZ New Member

We fed them one winter-we paid someone to custom bale for us. The flakes we pulled off were the equivalent of 4 or so flakes from small square bales. We kept a bale outside, tarped, while we fed from it, then replaced it when it ran out. We have a tractor with a loader/hay forks, so we were able to move them around.

They were fine, but the next year we bought a round baler, so we use those now.

edited to add: many of the people I've know who make big squares will sometimes cut corners on hay quality. The big square balers are set up to spray a preservative on they hay, so it can be baled wetter than normal. Just make sure the quality is what you want it to be.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

We fed them for a few years----- picked up 4 on 1 flatbed trailer and unloaded into wheelbarrow as fed. We parked the trailer next to the barn and kept it covered with a tarp.

One flake off of it was equiv to about 3-4 flakes from small bale. I enjoyed having them but the farmer raised his price so high we quit buying them.

6. AppyGSP

AppyGSP Senior Member

I've been using these lately and I have 4 horses....yes, they flake off nicely BUT I put the flakes in a wheelbarrow then pick up each flake (which equals about 2-3 small bale flakes) and they hoist it over the fence which is like picking up a small mattress and flinging it over so they are awkward, but it works. Or just put the entire thing in a round bale feeder.

I pay $70 each from someone SE of Rockford, and they are the same size as listed above.

7. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

thanks for all the input.. it doesn't sound like something I would benefit from.. looks like I will be sticking to small bales, some cubes and a few round bales...

8. desederada

desederada New Member

I liked them. We store them in the barn and just give them a thin slice. It is harder than round bales to unload off of the truck but we usually back up to the barn tie them to a post and drive away :laugh: Hubby tried to use my horse to pull them off but he wouldn't pull at all he's too well trained to give to pressure ;D I'm sure he could have done it though if he lured him with a bucket of grain.

9. alljackedup

alljackedup New Member

We are using them now and like them. They're not as easy to feed as sm squares, but my babies have hay now, so I'm not bitching. I do like feeding them better than round bales though.

Tip on getting them out/off of trailers/truck beds......get a couple of garden timbers laid down before you load them on. When you get home, they'll roll right off. ;D

10. paige

paige New Member

We started using them a few years ago and are completely sold on them--great for storage, and if they are baled well, they flake off easy.
    I do not feed by flake but by weight--so when I crack a new bale, I weigh the first few flakes so I know what each one tends to run--every bale is different.

I love them

11. HFSH

HFSH New Member

I use them! Love it. I pull off about 8 flakes and toss them in the back of my Ranger, drive it to the field, drive around dropping flakes. Each big flake generally equals about 3-5 regular flakes, generally, depending on how wide one of the big square flakes is.

We pay about $45-65 per large bale up here.

12. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Have seen a barn that uses them. They are pretty nice for situations where you have stabled horses that aren't going anyplace -- if you travel with your horses you will need some small squares, pulling apart flakes and bales and whatnot seems awfully messy to me and a pain. They are a bit of a deal to move about, and they do need to be baled correctly, but I think some people find them much more economical.
    I'd use them if it was good hay, and I had a way of moving the buggers -- that would be great to throw out in a feeder in my lot.

13. Brilliance

Brilliance New Member

I get smaller bales made from big squares, ones that have been compressed down. Which makes them way easier to move avg bale weighs about 80#. The flakes are thicker/ticker than typical small bales. I love them and hate having to use regular small bales now. We do feed big squares in a round bale feeder outside.

Warning note-----becareful of the endgate on the truck they are not meant to hold the weight of a big bale . . .which I TRIED to point out, but I apparently didnt know what I was talking about.