One armed childrens program host scaring children?!

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Shelley, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

I just about blew my top when I saw this on the Today Show this morning. Holy shit are people that stupid? Children are not judgmental and they won't be scared of someone missing part of their arm. They only want to know why. Parents can be such jack asses. This hits so close to home because I have an 18 year old nephew who was born without part of his left arm. He is a phenomenal basketball player.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aring-children-parents-tell-BBC.html?ITO=1490

A disabled CBeebies presenter has been the victim of a disturbing campaign after parents complained that she was scaring toddlers.
    They claimed that host Cerrie Burnell - who was born with one arm - is not suitable to appear on the digital children's channel.

2. Shell

Shell New Member

It was probably only the parents who noticed. ::)

3. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I think she is scaring the adults and not the children. ::)

chirldren are NOT scared by that!! Come on!

4. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Welcome to the beginning of a Brave New World people -- unless you're "perfect" and fit in completely with whatever cog you're supposed to fill in society, you are not wanted. In fact, some scientists have stated that they now can screen the genetic material in human fetuses so you can not only select your baby by sex and absence of genetic disease, but also by height, intelligence, eye and hair color. "Gattaca" anyone? Many couples are very interested in this, the report went on to say (what it didn't say was there was a certain amount of "failure" fetuses that the couples would be getting rid of in their quest for the "perfect" baby). So "getting rid of failure fetuses" is perfectly fine and normal and ok, but dealing with the oddities and unusualness (and yes, even the small tragedies and imperfections) of human existence (as it has been) is soooo scarwwweeeyy.

JCOAFS We're too pussy to deal with even any "blips" in external appearance anymore, and by God (or science) we soon won't have to anymore!

5. monizzle

monizzle New Member

I am doing a research project kinda centered around this.

6. JenR

What part? The Gattaca/Brave New World "designer babies", or the fact that as a society we're starting to become pussy assed chump mother frakkers?

7. hobblehanger

hobblehanger New Member

I bet those parents wouldn't feel that way if it was their kid who only had one arm.

People who think like this....they better watch out for karma!

Karma scares the livin shit out of me! lol

8. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

When I watched the teaser for the upcoming segment I didn't notice this gals missing arm and in the clip she was wearing a short sleeved shirt and was stretching her arms above her head. Guess I just don't notice stuff like that.

The worst comment we overheard while sitting in a restaurant with my sister and her son was from some nasty biotch lady who said "That is why abortion should be legal". Shit, what would you do if you had a perfectly normal child and either from an accident or disease they lost a limb. Would you then all of a sudden hate your child? Would you want to trade your child in for a perfect one? Sheesh. People can be assholes and I hope a huge friggin ugly ass karma stick hit that lady in the restaurant who made that horrible remark about my nephew.

9. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

As my mother has always said "There but for the grace of God go I".

Karma is a bitch and I hope these people get slapped right up side the head with it.

10. paige

paige New Member

Damn straight Poods.

I substitute taught in law school, cuz I was poor and needed money. I dreaded it. I knew kids would be weird about my scars, after all, I had been thrown out of a public school my own self as a kindergardener, on the basis that the kids were scared of me. They were not, they were my neighbors--it was the teacher who had an issue.

Anyway--I had one child out of thousands that was truly scared of me. And he was not so scared that he could not tell me what was wrong when I asked what he was boo hooing about. All the oher kids were fascinated by it and asked a lot of questions, wanted to touch my scars, etc....

People are crazy. Even though I dont like kids, sometimes I think they are the lesser of two evils when compared to their parents

11. JenR

What's really scary is what those parents wind up teaching their kids -- word.

12. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I have spent alot of time raising my kids to not judge someone by outside apperances but by what is inside. I have been to the school for my daughter when she was younger because she got in a screaming match with someone who was bulling someone else and she had enough of the way people were treating this girl. I think you as a parent can teach ignorance and hatered by your own actions and it is a shame that instead of sitting down with there children and explaining why this girl has one arm they opted to pull this shit. Karma is a bitch!

13. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

Exactly. I think that this woman is probably an inspiration to kids with disabilities. I can't understand what the issue is. It is basically teaching kids of the "scared parents" that it's okay to not accept people for who they are. I can't imagine a child being scared by a disability. Curious, yes. But scared, no way.

14. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

:eek:

15. Gruce

Gruce New Member

:Crayon:

16. Gruce

Gruce New Member

perhaps I should explaing my post....it was refering to the idiots who complained about the disabled host.....NOT Shelley....whew...didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea :th_ohsnap1:

17. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

No problem, I didn't take it the wrong way.

18. Gruce

Gruce New Member

sorry, flashback from another board .... :-X