Opinions on pony

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by desederada, Feb 14, 2009.

1. desederada

desederada New Member

I looking at purchasing this guy locally. He's 13 hands and I'm 5'3" 126 pounds. Do you think I'm too big for the little bugger? He's 5 years old and not broke.
    [​IMG]

2. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

He looks adorable; what are you planning on doing with him?

As for being too big -- it would depend upon how he's built I should think. Looks like he's a little tank, so perhaps not too big.

3. MelW

MelW New Member

he's kinda sexy....heck, drive him if you think he's to small for you ::)

4. Jamik

Jamik New Member

I don't know about size, but he's freakin cute! And man does he have some TROT!

5. Susan

Susan New Member

I do not think you are too big for him. Go for it.

6. horsefreak

horsefreak New Member

to really know I think we're going to need to see a picture of your twat...I mean trot.

7. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

My son's pony in my avatar is a halflinger, 13.1 ish hands, and about 10 years old. He carries an adult rider without problem. I am not lightweight, so I have only been on him a handful of times. He is very stocky, but athletic enough to clear 2'9" with a very advanced rider who is 5'2"...not sure what she weighs. I bought him 1 1/2 years ago, green as grass broke. He hadn't even cantered undersaddle yet until the day that we tried him. I don't even like ponies, but wouldn't trade him for the world!

8. desederada

desederada New Member

I would want to do dressage with him mainly and would definately teach him to drive. I was wondering though how I would find a dressage saddle that wasn't too long in the seat for his back ??? The price is right so if I got him started undersaddle and sold him I'd still make out.

9. morapt

morapt New Member

Des, He's a cutie!! BTW, I know of a half brother to Clipper in Florida that is available VERY reasonable. About a couple hours north of you I think. He's a 5 yr old gelding. PM if you want the info.

10. desederada

desederada New Member

I know where he's at and he's only about 30 minutes away. He's actully a 2002 model so that makes him 7. I haven't seen him in person they have a 2 year old that I like and he's closer to my price range but at the moment I can't afford him either ;) I'm waiting to hear back from the pony people. I figure if I can get him maybe I'll put some training on him and be able to make enough to by a full size model. ;D Luckily we have about 6 training horses coming in , in the next couple weeks. It's been really slow for a couple of months, people just don't have any spare money to spend on luxury items like horse training. Therefore I have no money to spend on luxury items like horses :laugh:

11. Imzadi

Imzadi New Member

We haven't put a dressage saddle on my guy, but he has been ridden in a 17inch close contact. The woman we bought him from had him in a wintec dressage saddle, and she was 5'10"!!! Her leg hung way down off his sides! To give you an idea about ours, he wears a 70/72inch blanket depending on the model. Hope this helps, he looks WAY too cute!

12. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Considering your size, I doubt your saddle would be too long. What do you ride in, a 17"?

13. onmy87

onmy87 Formerly QueenFluffBunny

One other consideration...from the looks of your avatar, you have the long, lean legs (that us round-ish types dream of having, LOL)...you might have trouble with leg cues because your leg will hang down too long. You likely would have that problem in a hunt seat saddle, let alone a dressage.

14. desederada

desederada New Member

Only in my dreams :laugh: That would be the opposite of the problem I have now.

15. desederada

desederada New Member

I have 2, 17 1/2 inch dressage saddles and my CC is also 17 1/2. My Laser dressage saddle I'm sure would not work because of the size of the panels but the Wintec Pro may.

16. Morganfan608

Morganfan608 New Member

Cute, cute, cute! I loff the pony! I say go for it!

BTW, Des, you make me sicker and sicker every day....5'3" & 126 lbs....AND in Fla. in the winter :slapfight:....whatever! *!*!*!* ;D

17. shyfilly78

shyfilly78 New Member

BUY HIM DES!!!!!

Man he's uber cute. I loff him.

18. desederada

desederada New Member

OMG I'm so excited! I have an appointment to see him tomorrow morning ;D

19. MelW

MelW New Member

<subliminal message> you want to drive him you want to drive him

20. desederada

desederada New Member