Parenting--what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by lori, Feb 12, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

So I guess in my 5th grade daughter's PE class, they were not working real hard so he said everyone had to write 2 paragraphs about what PE should be. This was what my daughter wrote: (all her typing, she had to email it to me for me to print it)

The principal called her and another girl in and chided them for being too negative. Now, I am kind of negative myself, but in my opinion, the PE teacher asked and she offered some fairly constructive criticism for a 10-year-old.

Disclaimer: I work for a publishing company that publishes books for PE teachers on how to teach the "new PE" where the emphasis is on daily physical activities and helping kids find physical activities they enjoy and will actually do later in life. I did not prompt my daughter one bit but ironically we have books on fun warm-ups, fun sports drills or building sports skills in a way that's interesting even for the kids that don't care about basketball per se, and books about how the highly-sport-driven PE teachers can get along with the kids that don't give a rat's ass about sports and still give the kids something of value...

BF's opinion is that I should have edited her down. But if that's the way she feels (and it's definitely a viewpoint I can understand!) then I did advise her that her teacher might feel upset, I was thinking angry, but she wanted to say it anyway. I guess his feelings got hurt..?

2. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

He is a freggen adult - she is a 5th grader.

If he can not handle this - he should NOT be a teacher.

Come the heck on! I sure do hope you informed the Principal that this was your daughter's opinion and opinions are like well, you know what........and he better not ask what people think something should be.............

They are 5th graders, not politicians!

3. paige

paige New Member

I think it is great--and I would stay out of it- (says the non kid having person). What did they expect her to say other than boring, they are in 5th grade!

4. susiebk

susiebk New Member

I think her answer was well-thought-out and could easily be applied! If the PE teacher isn't happy-too bad...he asked for advice, and she gave it...or maybe are they trying to tell her she isn't PC??? That's just crazy. Your daughter's response is right on the mark......why don't they answer her questions and let the PE teacher explain why HIS way is best?

5. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

I think your daughter was correct in voicing her opinion he asked and he recieved as for it being to neg. I didn't get that at all what I got out of it was a little girl who would PE to offer a little more excitment. She even gave him ideas of making games to learn there units. Since you don't feel she had done anything wrong then just support her decision and stand behind her. I think it is great that she can voice her opinions easily some children find that hard to do.

6. lori

lori New Member

I am secretly really proud, but I want to be clear to her that I'm not proud because she challenged an authority figure period (my way) but proud because she did so intelligently and fairly and wasn't scared.

I told her he asked for her feelings on the subject and she gave them and she shouldn't feel bad about offering her opinions when he asked. I also said that her ideas very much agreed with what our books (written by noted professors, researchers, and teachers who are well known in the field) say about PE. Which is funny--because I bring very little of my work home, I just market it, I don't write it and don't live and breath the content, but she was dead right about what he ought to be doing.

Then after she was asleep, I told Darren about it because I was really proud and he acted like that wasn't the kind of behavior I should be encouraging. BUT--the teacher asked, no, ASSIGNED it, and she gave her opinion in a pretty judicious way.

If I get a call I'll back her up, but I won't say anything if I'm not contacted.. and I will try to avoid giving the PE teacher the stink eye.

7. STARSKI

STARSKI New Member

I guess I'm not understanding the issue. Didn't she complete the ASSIGNMENT?

8. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

I guess they are trying to start the censoring young now... adults must be getting too hard to control...

You should be proud that your kid got her point across without cussing and calling names... just stating what she felt.. I would be proud too :)

9. lori

lori New Member

OK, here is what I did censor, tacked on to the end of the above.
    That was her closing... That is the part that really tickled me. It was a little smartass in its tone, so I deleted it... but it's my favorite part. (Shhh...)

10. snaffle

snaffle Guest

I thought she hit on some very good points..
    I thought her first paragragh was perfect..

I can understand the dribbling ball thing.. that WILL help with basketball..

what I want to know is..
    who in the H*LL makes 5th graders run a mile!!
    what is he thinking? a mile? good grief..
    that is borderline unsafe for someone who isnt doing that type of running every day.

besides.. at that age.. it can not be a smart thing to do.

THAT should be addressed to the principle

11. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

We ran a mile at that age. It was part of the Presidential Physical Fitness thing the schools do. All my siblings and friends did it, too.

12. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I love her paper, by the way.

13. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

Kids can run longer without doing much training.

I ran a mile when allll the way back to about third grade, I believe. Might be younger than that?

Oh, and the letter sounds like something I would have written that my mom would have scolded me for (even though she would have printed it out and let me turn in). ;) Especially the ending that you edited!

14. MelW

MelW New Member

She sounds like quite the little....handful. GOod for her!

15. Roherynn

Roherynn New Member

That was an awesome letter...it was really well thought out and had some good examples for improvement. I do like that little snippit that you left out in the end too >:D

I also wanted to note that I ran the mile in that grade too....we were required to do it till about 8th grade.

16. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

He asked for an opinion and he got it...what's his problem?

17. burgie

burgie New Member

While your daughter does have very valid points, I think the delivery was a bit off. It was rather condescending to be honest.

She should absolutely express her opinions, but it would be better received if it had included more "I statements" than "YOU statements".

Clearly she is a clever, independent child, but children still need to be respectful of their teachers and administrators. Yes, he did assign for them to write about their thoughts/feelings as it relates to PE. However, those thoughts and feelings needed to be expressed without the insolent tone.

While this is a fairly minor situation, it does concern me that a number of people feel the wording and tone of the letter were totally appropriate. Why are we encouraging and supporting a fifth grader for being disrespectful toward a teacher?

18. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I truly don't think she had intended her writing to be a dig at him personally, or an aggressive attack.

She is a 5th grader.

I'm sure she did not analyze her wording - Not everyone has a grasp at You and I statements at that age.

Clearly she is bored with PE - heck she might even be one of those *gasp* non sporty type........who find it quite unappealing to dribble a basket ball for more than 3-6 minutes...........and would love to have it spiced up a bit..........

19. burgie

burgie New Member

Probably not - but it is never to soon to work on that skill set!

I hated PE - with a passion -but if had written a letter like that, my parents would have been exceptionally unhappy with me.

20. HALL FARMS

HALL FARMS Insert Title Here

Any chance you can "gift" the school some of those books?

Just to add....
    I would have written a letter like that as well when I was that young. It is a 'in the moment' letter. May not be polite but it gets her feelings on the matter out in the open. Sounds like the PE teacher needs to revise his lesson plans to make things more interesting for the kids.