People who lie, often talk faster

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by snaffle, Feb 3, 2009.

1. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Have you ever noticed that?

I first noticed it years ago when I met a man who showed my dogs...
    he could be soft spoken and kind.. talked so nice..

but when he was lying to someone.. oh my goodness he would talk so fast!!

I noticed the same type of conversation when Blagojevich was being interviewed on the TODAY show .. this morning.

2. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I talk pretty fast. (Being from Chicago and all...) Does that mean I am lying?
    Honestly, most in the Chicago area speak quickly. When you leave the Chicago metro area, people talk (and drive, much to my dismay,) slower. Where I work, in Kankakee people speak much differently than where I live.

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

I don't speak any faster when I'm lying ;D

4. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Me either! LOL

Seriously, I talk very fast. I have to make myself speak slowly if I'm addresing someone new or giving a presentation.
    Now that I"m no the phone alot for my job I have had to teach myself to speak slowly.

5. snaffle

snaffle Guest

The key word in the thread title is

"often"

When I was in the barn doing chores.. I thought about your replies and couldnt help but laugh..

6. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Well, dear snaffle, let's alter this a bit.

Often talk faster, or otherwise change their speech/body language.

People may stutter, search for words, turn red, etc.

Unless we're expert liars ;)

7. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

Shoot - I speek fast ALL the time................

:'(

:nana:

8. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

Thats true! When I first moved to Yorkville in '96 all the kids in school would ask if I came from the city because I talked fast. That was only what....a 50 mile difference?

9. Shell

Shell New Member

Years ago when I moved to NY for a few months, I was told I talk fast. I told them that's the way we talk out here.

10. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Whatdoyoumean?Idon'tknowwhatyou'retalkingabout...... :th_bolt:

11. Shell

Shell New Member

exactly Mass!

12. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

I talk fast too, agree that it is something us Midwesterners do.

The thing I see about liars is they can't keep eye contact!!! I watch body language~

Its funny with my youngest son, his ears literally turn red and he cant' look at me when he lies to me----- Great way to catch him when he was a kid.

13. desederada

desederada New Member

My husband talks so fast all the time my head spins ::) Like on the exorcist :laugh:

14. desederada

desederada New Member

Actually I just got done reading about that and they said when someone IS lying they will look you right in the eyes. I had always heard the opposite

15. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thats interesting- I thought no eye contact.

16. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

Yup. When I lie, I make it a point to look someone directly in the eye. Most people suspect the opposite and often people look away from direct eye contact. Not that I lie a lot, of course. ;)

But yes... Chicagoan, and I talk fast. I notice people that speak more slowly instantly.

17. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Of course, there are those who never feel the need to lie :angel:

Most people will make an effort at direct eye contact when they lie, plus their pupils with contract; they'll also raise their eyebrows, and unless studiously trying to put on an honest face will have periods of looking up and off to the side -- very short signifier, and only amoung those who are not studious liars. One of the reasons for some of those gamblers wearing shades I guess.

The best liars are those who can actually con themselves into believing their own lie -- and those folks can fool just about anyone or anything. For them, the first statement is the motto they hypocritically live by. They're also sociopaths, but that's just a triviality ;)

18. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

These are the scariest people of all.

They live in their own worlds and justify everything they do with a lie. They mistrust others because they themselves can not be trusted...........
    They also justify themselves by knocking down the ones who maybe see through them............

Some people shake my faith.........

19. darkhorse

darkhorse New Member

I could lie to you and you'd never know. I'm hardly a sociopath. I think it comes from years in sales. (I can sell ice to an eskimo in an ice storm.) I'd lie to my customers all the time. "Oh my mom bought that and loves it. She uses it all the time." I can now lie with ease.

20. CBaut

CBaut New Member

This is kind of scary! :D