Prayers Please

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by Willie76, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

Our barn collapsed today. The entire indoor arena collapsed. Nobody was hurt. No horses, no people.

I had Willie in the indoor and my friend and I noticed the noise, she told me the roof was bowing and I needed to get him out of there. I pulled him out, threw him in his stall, and we ran down to the house to let them know about it and we went back up to check it out more. We were standing in the crosstie area assessing the roof and all of the sudden, the trusses started snapping and then the whole arena caved. Debris flew everywhere, the horses wigged out. WE hadn't gotten all the doors closed, so several broke through the stall guards.

I called everyone on my contacts list in the area and rallied the troups. WE have moved all of the horses to other locations. They're all safe and settled. But any prayers and well wishes would be greatly appreciated. This is absolutely devastating.

2. pinp

pinp New Member

holy crap! That's just horrifying! Let me know if you guys need any help.

3. Shelley

Shelley Senior Member

Holy crap. That is awful. Glad nobody and no horses got hurt. Must have been something to see/hear.

4. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Sending Prayers.

And Thank God no one or horse was hurt.

5. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

WOW!

I'm glad to hear no one (or animal) was hurt.

6. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Thank goodness no one got hurt; what happened? Too much snow load on the roof? Do did the structural integrity just decide to fail?

7. AKPonygirl

AKPonygirl New Member

oh that is terrible!!!! what happened?? glad no one was hurt!!! that would be so scary!!! Here's to hoping insurance covers it and the repairs can be done quickly!

8. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

We got 2 inches of ice last night and 4 inches of snow. The barn is over 30 years old.
    [​IMG]

That's what it looks like more or less. The lower structure on the left is the aisle with stalls, the stalls also wrapped around the back of the arena.

9. PT

PT New Member

Holy crap! :eek:

Glad you guys where paying attention! Me and my "duh" self never would of noticed!!

10. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

OMG----- Thank god everyone got out of there!

Couldn't believe the picture

Where are you located?

11. Willie76

Willie76 New Member

Carbondale.

I still keep thinking that if there would have been any other series of events, Willie and I would be dead. No doubt. If I would've started picking his stall, then turned him out. If he would've been in that arena any more than another 30 seconds....he would be dead.

I'm not religious and I never have been but I have absolutely NO doubt in my mind that I had a guardian angel watching out for me and Willie today. I think I'm still in shock over this. I keep getting sick thinking of how this could've turned out....if Michelle would've taken 5 more minutes digging her truck out, if I wouldn't have been ready when she came to get me....if we would've turned Willie & Rowdy out together. God.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

12. Angellou

Angellou Senior Member

Glad you were all ok how incredibly scary. I wonder who built that place?

13. BUC

BUC Administrator

WOW :eek:

I am so glad you guys are all safe! What a disaster.

14. Jamik

Jamik New Member

OMG! Glad no on got hurt!

15. snaffle

snaffle Guest

Holy Heavens to Betsy!!

I can see how that could happen... those trusses cover such a wide area..
    with the heavy snow and ice that gets on the roofs..
    I am surprised more barns don't go down.

years ago our neighbor lost a cattle barn to heavy snow.

16. KS QUARTERS

KS QUARTERS New Member

oh my!!!! Glad everyone is safe, very scary.. :angel:

17. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Well, I *am* religious and I believe you had an angel with you, too :angel:. Timing is so important to things...

Without those pictures, I visualized any other collapse I've ever seen (remember the farrowing house at the swine center years ago? Did you ever see that?) You could still walk under parts of the place...but you're right.

This roof would have definitely flattened anyone inside.

I'm so glad you're ok.

18. Jen

Jen New Member

Wow, so glad you are ok.

19. twinkle

twinkle New Member

Thank God no one was hurt-human or critters.That picture is really scary. I can't imagine how you felt at the time.
    Hopefully the insurance will settle quickly and the arena will be rebuilt soon. How is your BO doing?

20. morapt

morapt New Member

Wow I'm glad everyone is ok. I hope insurance and rebuild are a fast process. I agree with Twisted, the angels where defiantly watching out.