Proper MTG application

Discussion in 'The Corral' started by lori, Feb 1, 2009.

1. lori

lori New Member

I picked up some MTG for DW's horse that got his tail chewed. I'm not so sure I got the application right. First, this horse has a VERY thick tail--we're just going for max growth. I rubbed and rubbed but there were tons of places on his tail (by which I mean, the part with skin and bones) where it didn't apply. I used the entire contents of the neck of the bottle--enough? Any tips?

2. mrponies

mrponies New Member

I've been applying in thick layer to a portion of my husband's horse's mane (about a 1.5" inch strip of mane) where it got ripped out. I've been using it an average of 2-3 times a week for about 6-8 weeks with hardly any growth (maybe 1-2 cm). I'd use it more often, but we've had such cold, frozen weather. I'm hesitant to apply if it's -6 outside. I apply it until the area it saturated and then I massage into into the base of the mane. I try my best to part the hair and apply directly to the roots.

I'm a bit skeptical...not sure this stuff really works like they say it does. Thank goodness I didn't buy a huge bottle.

3. Shell

Shell New Member

I just part the hair and pour some along the part closest to the skin and massage it into that area. Using my fingers to spread the MTG around the area under the hair. Then apply to another parted area, until all areas of where the hair grows from has had MTG applied to it.

To edit in: I applied it once every week or two, and surprised with amount of growth. When I got my horse his tail was chewed. Besides a few longer hairs, most of his tail was 2" longer than the last tail bone. It's now a good foot longer.

4. Michele

Michele New Member

I love, love, love MTG. I am surprised people don't use it on themselves! It works that well. I just slather it on to the roots. The only draw back is it is so greasy.

5. funnypaint

funnypaint New Member

You have to get it on the skin and massaged in for it to work. I always use a pulling comb to make a part in the hair on the tail bone then drip it directly onto the skin... then rub it in. Then I keep repeating that all over the tail bone.

I've always had awesome results using it this way.

6. desederada

desederada New Member

You guys don't seriously think it's going to make hair grow more than usual do you? Reminds me of when my girlfriend bought some sort of breast creme to make her boobs grow. The shit worked wonders, her boobs started to really increase in size and then she found out she was pregnant. :laugh:

7. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

I used it a few years back after Davey got Rain Rot. It was in the winter so we could not bath him. MTG worked great. So yes I do believe it works.

To get it in the tail root area you can use a syringe to get more of a precise area without the waste.

8. Michele

Michele New Member

Des have you ever tried using it? I used it a few years ago on a horse that had bad rain rot and scars all over his legs, well the rain rot cleared up and the hair started regrowing on his legs where the scars were.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

What does MTG stand for?

As far as tail growth goes my guy is on Select Nu Image, a good balanced diet and I condition and wrap his tail so he can't rub or get it caught on anything

10. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

MTG= Mane Tail Groom

I'm pretty sure :)

11. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I think it helps moisturize really well, and that's why it seems to "make the hair grow faster". It's worked at getting, and keeping, Chester and Zippy's tails as long as possible (not "Farrah Fawcett hair" but better than they were). It's done a better job than most things at this, so I'd call it "very workable, but don't expect a miracle cure". Seems to keep hair that's growing in from breaking off more than anything, and seems to keep the dock skin soft and non scaly.

Adrienne goes through with a detangler (human) comb (the kind with the big tines) and parts the hair, applies the MTG as close to the roots as possible, then works it on the skin and outward, down along the hair shaft for about 6 inches. She also uses Infusium and this Aussie leave in stuff on the bottom of the tail. And she finger combs the tail more than anything else.

Main thing is, try to brush/comb the roots to help stimulate the follicles, reduce the rub inducing cruds, and get the natural oils spread out on the hair shaft without brushingcombing the skirt of the tail too much (the hairs break off and/or pull out from that).

So, this has taken a horse who's dock was bare in patches and had wispy, dry, broken off hairs more than anything at the tail head (plus a skirt that ended a good 2 inches above his hocks) a year ago, to a pretty nice full tail head and a tail that now at least is 4 inches below his hocks and relatively full. Not fabulous, but not horrid results.

12. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

That makes complete sense Ponythief, thank you!

What is the main ingredient that makes it so greasey though?

I'm curious to how many use it and believe in it~

13. desederada

desederada New Member

Well yes it does get rid or rain rot and other fungus/bacteria so then the hair can grow back in but there is absolutely no scientific proof that it's going to grow back faster. It's just a sales pitch must be a good one because ya'll are buying it.

14. Shell

Shell New Member

I'm going to say bacon grease, because it smells like bacon. :D But seriously, I don't know.

I use it and believe in it.

15. Ponythief

Ponythief New Member

Ingredients:Mineral oil, sulfur, glycerin, zinc sterate, rectified oil of cade.
    I googled it :) off of Adams supply co.

16. desederada

desederada New Member

Sulpher for fungus

17. desederada

desederada New Member

Ya'll might also find this interesting...

I understand and appreciate your request for further information regarding human use of Original M-T-G. Let me begin by giving you a bit of background on the product and company.

As you already know, Original M-T-G was originally formulated by a barber for use on psoriases, dandruff and dry skin on his customers. This was in the 1930's and that product is essentially the same formula that we are currently using. He also started marketing this formula for use on skin problems for horses. When he sold the company, the new owners pursued the animal market, where it has remained.

During the 14 years that I have owned Shapley's, I have spoken to several people who have used it successfully to treat skin problems on humans. Over the years, we have received reports of many others using it with no negative effects.

When I was first made aware that people were using it recently for growth purposes, I was interested to see what results they would obtain. As this has not been our intended market, Shapley's has not performed any efficacy testing for human hair growth. What I am hearing and reading is that people are getting good growth from using Original M-T-G. Because of the results I have seen, I have begun to research and develop a product to test for human hair growth. This, of course, will take time and effort, and any feedback that we can receive will be helpful and appreciated in bringing the best product to the market.

Shapley's is very conscientious of what we formulate for animal use and are recognized in the marketplace for using the finest quality ingredients. I can tell you that the current formulation doesn't contain anything that is known to have detrimental effects on humans or animals, unless it is an allergic reaction. (The ingredients are petroleum distillates, sulfur, zinc sterate, cade oil and glycerine). As recommended and stated on the bottle, we always suggest performing a patch test for sensitivity on any new product before use. People have been using it on their animals for almost 70 years with unbelievable success. The reported negative reaction using Original M-T-G since I have owned the company is less than 1%.

As for the frequency of use, because we have not tested it, I can't recommend a routine. From the information I am receiving, people are using it anywhere from daily to weekly. My advice is that if they are using it frequently as start seeing any negative changes is to decrease the frequency of use.

I hope this helps to answer some of your concerns. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns or feedback. I will be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Best regards,

Cindy S. Carfore
    President, Shapley, Ltd.

And this...........

So I was looking up the ingredients in MTG cause I was considering going back to this for a little while despite the smell. Among the ingredients are petroleum, zinc stearate, cade oil, and glycerine. Well, this is what I found doing a search.

Juniper tar, or cade oil, is a thick topical preparation made from the wood of some juniper species. It has been used for psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions, but it has also been associated with potentially cancer-causing changes in the DNA of human skin. Because of this very serious potential risk, juniper tar should be used only under the supervision of a healthcare professional

I just wanted to share that it has POTENTIAL for cancer. I'm not saying it will, I used it before for a few months and I'm fine. Just wanted to let people know who were using it not to use it for the long haul. If you are using it make sure its for short term chalenges. I, however, am reaffirmed in my no-MTG policy. And in general, please research anything you put on your head, your brain is so close to these topical agents and no doubt, they are seeping into the blood stream. Oh yeah, and don't use MTG while pregnant, its harmful to babies

18. Michele

Michele New Member

Thanks Des for the info......... When I said I am surprised people don't use it on themselves, I didn't mean ya should. Very interesting article. What was your experience with it that led you to the no M.T.G stance?

19. desederada

desederada New Member

I didn't say I didn't use it just that I don't believe it GROWS hair. It's still good for fungus and bacteria and the homemade version is MUCH cheaper

20. Michele

Michele New Member

Will you share the homemade version?