Puppy Pad?

Discussion in 'KiKi's & Poochies' started by BUC, Feb 22, 2009.

1. BUC

BUC Administrator

I'm only having one problem with the new pooch...he gets up in the middle of the night and poops. Never pee's, just poops. He's done this every night for a week.

He's so good during the day, always lets me know when he wants to go out so I do believe he tries to wake me before he goes about his business, but we are both such sound sleepers that I'm afraid he could scratch my face off and it would not wake me up.

When he poops in the night it's always on a rug...which is better than the wooden floor that poop blends in with I suppose. I've never used a puppy pad, not sure if they have to be trained to go on them? Or they are pre-poop scented? Never checked into them.

Do you think this would work? Or any other advice to offer?

2. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Is he open to litter box training?

3. BUC

BUC Administrator

Never heard of litter box training one but I do not want to train him to actually go in the house...he's very potty broke. I would just like not to have to shampoo a spot on a rug every morning ;D If he pooped on the floor that would solve that problem, but then I'm sure I'd be walking through it...bleck....so the rug is a better option.

And actually I said he's done it every night for a week...well I lied...I forgot that the days I work he does not do it because he goes out at 2am when I get up. It's been just on my days off where getting up at 2am is NOT going to happen :)

Are puppy pads scented?

4. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

I have not a clue, but it would be worth looking into -- sounds like the little man just can't hold it. Maybe tweak his schedule a bit would fix it?????

5. BUC

BUC Administrator

I don't know how to tweek. I take him out right before we go to bed :( But like I said, he NEVER pee's, just has to take a middle of the night dump. LOL. And most of the time he poops during his outing before bed. But he does poop a lot, at least I think it's a lot...most of the dogs I sit poop 2-3 times a day where he is more apt to 5 times.

He also knows he's "bad" when he does it. I don't scold him because I don't catch him doing it of course...but when we get up in the morning and walk by the rug where he pooped in the middle of the night he'll look at you and give you that "I'm sorry I F'd up" look. So he knows he shouldn't...but again, I'm sure he tries to wake me and just can't.

6. lori

lori New Member

No--what time is dinner? The last meal of the day?

I think you can get attractant for puppy pads but I'd pick up the rag, put a pad where that rug was, then after he gets to pooping on the pad move it over out of the line of traffic.

7. JenR

Our BCs poop more than the regular dog -- I think it's due to having a higher metabolism (they also eat more than say, Daisy, who is a bigger dog) and they were worse when they were younger. Does he get fed in the evening? If he does, maybe make it earlier and take him out one more time before bed???

Good idea Lori -- maybe start on his "place" on the rug and then move it to by the door he goes out to potty?

8. lori

lori New Member

OK not to mimic chi guy but if you're feeding cheaper food there's often more poop.

9. BUC

BUC Administrator

Ah, I gotcha. He eats so little, I mean like a cup or less of food a day so he has free choice food. BUT I could put his food up at maybe 6ish...that's a great idea. Tweak = food, lol...blond moment. I thought Jenm was implying I should set my alarm and take him outside in the middle of the night every night ;D :-[ ;D

BTW, he does not always poop on the same rug. We have a lot of throws around the house. He picks one upstairs and goes. It's been 3 different rugs so far because I had kinda figured if he kept it to one I'd either have great luck with a puppy pad or one ruined rug in time.

I think I'll give a puppy pad a try too...plus putting up food earlier. He doesn't come down to eat in the night because I've been watching that, but sometimes he does eat late in the evening.

Lori, he's on the food he came with which Cindy said was very good quality expensive food. I just can't remember the name of it. She gave be a bunch and I need to ask her what it is so maybe I can keep him on it. He produces nice looking turds, LOL. But no, we don't feed Ol' Roy around here on any critters :)

10. JenR

Maybe keep him confined to one area, with a puppy pad in it, until he gets the idea??

As per blonde moment -- I forgive you :angel:

11. Shell

Shell New Member

I think the puppy pads are scented for peeing

12. BUC

BUC Administrator

Wouldn't that be encouraging him to go in the house?

I bet putting food up at 6 pm will do the trick. Also I'll cut out his before bed, after potty break treat too :-[ :th_fluffbunny:

13. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Try the puppy pad in a litter box and see what happens. Put it by the door where you take him outside. Yes, they are scented. I used them for two little Rat Terriers that I fostered and they worked well.

I too would be worried though about his house training getting screwed up. :-

14. Sarah315

Sarah315 New Member

Did he have a change in food when he came to you? Maybe he hasn't adjusted yet. It sounds like he is used to puppy pads since they resemble throw rugs in size and shape, and they are kinda cushy. Maybe he was trained to use them in the house.

You could crate him at night for awhile till he gets the idea. I know that kinda sucks when he could be sleeping in bed with you but it is working for me. We are foster failures and adopted the pug we fostered who had the puppies. She pooped in the house occasionally, peed too. She was is great in every other way and doesn't have any other bad habits. I figured it was better to enforce the potty rules now before it becomes a lifelong habit. So she goes in the crate when we are gone or outside. I'm hoping in a few months she will have gone outside consistantly enough that it becomes her new habit and we won't need the crate anymore.

15. Blueyz2

Blueyz2 New Member

I agree with Pixin. Put the puppy pad in the litter box....I'd get one of the litter boxes made for dogs where one side is lower so they can get in easier. Then I would maybe just put the box down at night so it wouldnt screw up his routine so much.

16. ihave3

ihave3 New Member

Our puppy will do this to. We started putting the food up earlier and she has had maybe 2 messes since doing this so I think it helps.

17. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

I hate the idea of pads.

Try putting the food up first.

And.........just because he did not eat ALL his food from the previous day, DON'T feed extra.....

Feed him his normal amount - if he eats a cup of food a day, and you picked up his bowl at 6 PM and there was still 1/4 cup left - only add 3/4 cup of food to his bowl for the entire day.

If you add his full cup on top of the left overs........then he just might pack his little tummy too full and still have problems.

He'll get it!

If that doesn't work.......then try the pads. I just hate the idea of giving him permission to mess in the house........ :-

18. BUC

BUC Administrator

Tonight were just putting the food up. He wont have a problem the next 3 nights anyway because I'll get up to go to work :) Yeah, I'm not digging the idea of permission either. Especially since he really house house training so down pat.

19. poodlelover

poodlelover Moderator

The first day Casey was here he didn't finish all his dinner. I took the bowl away. You can bet your ass he finished all his breakfast in very short order. ;)

I'd def try taking up the food before puppy pads. He might just think "Cool - it's okay to shit in here after all".

20. desederada

desederada New Member

I am too exhausted from this flu to read the whole thread so if it's a repeat EXCUSE ME :nana: But the only way I could get the barn dog to stop shitting in the feed room at night was to make sure I feed her early in the day usually before noon. My :th_twocents: