Purposely choking himself on gate!

Discussion in 'The Carrot Stick' started by MyTeDun, Feb 1, 2009.

1. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

OK this sounds weird but my husbands gelding will purposely push his head down on anything that is in front of him. Throatlatch is down on the gate and he is purposely choking himself!!!!??!?!?!

Is this for attention or could he have a medical issue? He has been checked and is perfectly healthy~

I do believe this horse could benefit from a communicator or psychiatric help.

He hasn't hurt himself YET

2. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Re: Purposely coughing himself on gate!

I've talked to a really cool communicator before and I'd be happy to give you her info.

That being said, I have heard horses being dead lame on their way to an arena at a show, but perfectly sound walking back to the trailer after they've scratched the class. Horses do some weird things.

3. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Some of them have really strange habits----- I just can't get over this, when we are in the barn it is constant until we go to him. He has never been ignored, abused and neglected. Spoiled yes but nothing else.

4. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Maybe he's trying to commit suicide.

5. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

urghhhh------communicator is sounding like a good idea but I'd be afraid to hear his remarks. He is spoiled rotten~

I really do wish I could figure out why he is doing this though

When he gets his teeth done each spring we have to stand at the stall and literally hold his head up until the tranq wears down or he would succeed with suicide

Anyone ever heard of a horse doing this before????? For anyone that knows my horses, this is Maverick

6. Mass

Mass Senior Member and Masscaster

Perhaps an itch?

7. TwistedWire

TwistedWire Guest

Does he always do it like he does it when sedated? Maybe he has narcolopsy.

8. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Twisted---- I'm sure he doesnt' have narcolepsy since he looks right at us when he is doing this. As soon as we walk over to him he stops, head comes up with ears pricked forward.

I do believe he simply has a strange personality and too damn smart for his own good. All hubby has to do is say "Mav" and he stops.

I just wish I could figure out why he would do something that could hurt himself.

9. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Maybe a little more info on this guy will help-------

some more of his little quirks-----

This same horse will take a huge drink of water from the trough or bucket and hold it in his mouth until someone is standing in front of him then he spits it at you

Will, somehow take another horses halter off and chase them in the pasture with it in his mouth swinging it at them

Unlocks gates and has figured out how to slide the latch on stall gates

HE IS STRANGE~~ Is this normal for a horse to be such a brat

10. BUC

BUC Administrator

Sounds pretty typical for a horse kept on small lots without a job. Not that is a bad thing...same thing applies here, but yes, typical. If he had a job and was in work 90% of his habits would more than likely disappear.

As far as the choking himself, if you run to him every time he does this I imagine he has your number for attention.

11. Shadow

Shadow New Member

I agree with BUC..sounds like he is BORED out of his mind...a very intellegent horse no dought..but BORED and looking for entertainment..Jolly ball, milk jug, treat ball, a pasture pet, a job, anything to keep his minf fresh...JMHO... ;D

12. JenR

JenR Formerly Underworld Queen

Maybe he's just into, choking. You know, like some horses crib (which I've heard a vet say is rather like smoking) -- well maybe this horse is like some humans and into choking.

You never know.

13. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Now that I think of it this started last fall---- prior to that the only time I ever saw him do this was when his teeth were done. We would stand there and hold his head. THATS IT!!! He is bored

Well he is one that is going for training so he shouldn't be bored anymore. hopefully!

Thank you guys, I never thought of him being bored. He is out everyday with a buddy but not working and in restricted area.

Thank you!!!! I thought I just had a real wierd horse~~

14. JenR

Maybe he's a weird horse who just happens to be bored too ;D

15. Pixin

Pixin New Member

Equine auto-erotic asphixiation ~~

16. JenR

I never would have thought of it that way...but that would fall under the category of weird act of boredom wouldn't it? ;)

17. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

Thats what I thought but with this guy anything is possible (I guess)

Can't wait until the snow is gone so I can start working with these guys again. PLUS he is one of them going to the trainer.
    He will not be bored any longer--hehehe
    off to boarding school for my juvenile delinquent

18. equusteacher

equusteacher New Member

Of course, once he's home he will pick it right back up unless you are willing and able to keep the work going.
    If in fact, boredom is his cause.

19. lori

lori New Member

Do you think if she ignored him, he'd choke himself to death? I don't think so... ignore him when he does it, don't even look at him. I'm sure he'll still do it often, for a long time, and he'll never entirely forget.

Iver a year ago we purchased a horse who also had a lot of boredom in his life. He started being a head nodder (think nodding yes) which his previous owner praised and turned into a trick... except he does it ALL the time. It isn't that big of a deal, it doesn't hurt anything, and I think it only annoys me, so we haven't done naything about it other than give him a herd of horses to play with outside and ignore him when he's inside and doing it. It's taken forever but he's better, still does it now and then when he wants someone to come over and see him.

20. MyTeDun

MyTeDun Senior Member

He is going to be my trail horse---- I will be working 3 horses every day come summer. My guy is easy, once a year is fine with him. The two going to the trainer will be ridden alot once they come home. I just wish I had someone around here to ride with. Gets very boring being alone all the time---- I plan on hitting the trails with him also.

I don't know what else to do. If this is boredom, I plan on ignoring it!!
    Thank you for all the advice------ Never thought of being bored