Raffle - "how to" question

Discussion in 'The Loafing Shed' started by Susan, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Susan

Susan New Member

Raffle - "how to" question

I am curious - I have toyed with the idea of raffling off one of my trail saddles and donating a percentage of the proceeds to my favorite charity. How would I go about it? What are the laws/rules in IL and do I need a permit or anything? I'm curious to know if it is possible for me to do (got the idea from the man on TV who raffled his house for $50/ticket to get out from under the debt). I was thinking that if I sold tickets for a certain amount and advertised that unless X number of tickets were sold, the raffle would be cancelled and the ticket price refunded. It is just a thought - not sure if I want to do it or not.

2. BUC

BUC Administrator

Re: Raffle - "how to" question

http://www.gambling-law-us.com/Charitable-Gaming/Illinois/Raffle-Act.htm

As far as my understanding goes it is illegal to raffle at all unless you are a charity or working under their umbrella.

It is also illegal to hold raffles over the internet even if you are a charity because of the different laws in other states. Not that you were looking to do it on the internet, just throwing that in there.

3. Susan

Susan New Member

thanks BUC - that was exactly what I needed to know.

4. Tbitt

Tbitt Most beloved member of MW

So, if you really want to do this, contact that charity and tell them that this is what you want to do.

Tell them how much you want, and tell them that they can keep the rest of the $ (or set the %). That way it will be on the up and up.

if this charity doesn't have any affiliation with horses, tell them you will run the raffle for them....just have them instruct you how, when and have them give you their letterhead/logo stuff...............

That way you can take it to some horse shows or sales to drum up "sales". Ask a rep from the charity to come with you!

5. Susan

Susan New Member

Tbitt, that is a good idea. I had not really put a lot of thought into this yet - just had that little light bulb go off when I saw the guy raffle off his house. My favorite charity is St Jude Children's Hospital. You see rides to raise funds for the kids, and I always thought a saddle raffle would bring in even more money from the participants/sponsors at those trail ride/ poker run events. I think most folks would want to buy chances on a new saddle though - not a used one (even though it almost looks new) if offered by the charity itself. If offered by an individual - maybe yes. I think I'll write to them and see what happens.